Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Nathaniel Abraham Arrested « Previous Next »
Archive through May 30, 2008Diehard30 05-30-08  1:49 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1733
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ lol.. I think he may be the one that took him to buy the suit in the first place lol.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2541
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shark --

Time to bring back the avatar...

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 551
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dabirch...what the hell happened over there?? check dyes connect, too. there is a message for you

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 829
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Chuck came out of the basement, and he wasn't happy?

A shadowy figure was seen lurking on Washington, swinging a heavy bag of legos?

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 553
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig, either scenario seems plausible.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 243
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So who bought his pimped-out ride? Did the judge give this "poor soul" a caddie courtesy of his big taxpayer-funded salary?

Lock up this scum before he kills someone else.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 473
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He’s been out 15 months; A little over a decade ago he was in the sixth grade, stood 4 feet 9 inches tall and weighed 65 pounds, when he sat in the defense chair, his 11-year-old feet couldn't reach the ground.

What he did is hid a rifle in his pants, and shot and killed 18-year-old Ronnie Greene Jr, who was a stranger to him. He would spend the rest of his childhood locked up.
Abraham told people he intended to kill, and been worried about gangs coming after him.

He had had several run-ins with the system before, pulling a gun on fellow elementary school students, beating a boy with a pipe, and getting involved in arson and burglary. But he was never prosecuted?
The defense argued that the shooting was accidental, that Abraham was aiming at trees (just say he was aiming at God), not Greene's head.
In the end, jurors convicted him of second-degree murder, making him the youngest person in Michigan to be convicted of murder as an adult, and one of the youngest in the country.

This was the first murder case brought under a new state law that gave prosecutors unilateral power to decide whether to try someone as an adult -- previously a judge's decision.

He was free of all state supervision on his 21st birthday, in January 2007.

He certainly was not on parole, and I don’t believe he was probation either.

His “pimped out car was 38 years old? Are you being facetious or was the car actually restored and refurbished?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7981
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So let's convict this guy for his drug running and put him away for that. No leniency at all. Why should there be for this guy?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7382
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once a oppressed black male always an oppressed black male.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 314
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He's a thug, the pimp outfit is what he wanted to be identified with, otherwise he would have walked out of prison in normal clothing.

He thought he was a big man who beat the system and he got lots of handouts. Prison is where he needs to stay, because the next step is violence for him.

Hey at least he drives a Cadillac. You should be happy.

What you drive drives America!

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 554
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There won't be, and there shouldn't be. It is still alright to assume that this shitbag would probably kill again.

Johnberk
Username: Johnberk

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, at least Mr. Abraham did not kill anybody else. Anybody remember Damien Dorris? Killed a pregnant woman named Elizabeth Alvarez at a SW Detroit ATM in August of 1993 when he was 14. Released when he turned 21 in 1999. By 2004 he was arrested & convicted of killing 4 more people and is suspected in the murder of a 5th.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm shocked! NOT! Just give him some more time Johnberk, and (sadly) your prediction may come true.

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Let he (or she) who is without sin cast the first stone. I'm sure none of you has ever had anything to do with drugs. (Sarcastically)"

I've never done any drugs whatsoever, or even ever had an alcoholic drink. ::reaches for bag of stones::

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 926
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hubby and I saw Nathaniel at Great Lakes a few weeks after his release...he was 'thuggin' then...cell phone thuggin talking big crap and cursing out loud around kids.

We said "he'll be back"...

my old boss said "he is nice, he came to our church, we welcomed him with open arms"

I said "he'll be back"

Next he applied to WSU, we talked to some folks to let him come in while we deflected phone calls from angry parents. I still felt bad about that.

THen we find out he's rapping...guess what he is talking about...thuggin

who is surprised?

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone recall the moniker Mr. Abraham chose to launch his rap career with? Second Chance? L'il One Shot? ???????

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3199
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno, I'd rather see him in the pimp outfit than in baggy jeans with his panties haning out as many of his colleagues seem to prefer.

(Sudden horrible thought....picture Kwame with baggy jeans and......well, never mind.)

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 356
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn! All I ever kept in my Crown Royal bag was Scrabble tiles.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 7986
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There isn't enough material at ten JoAnn Fabric shops to make something large enough to look baggy on Kwame, Ray1936!

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha man panties! Ray, you are a trip!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2314
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh, this news comes as a terrible surprise.

The only folks for whom I feel slightly bad are the relentlessly idealistic optimists, some of them members of this forum, who, at the time of Abraham's release, permanently over-stretched the elastic of their Positive Thinking in behalf of this nauseating little punk.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 774
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol@Ray1936. Baggy saggy pants really irks you. Its just a fad man. As for Nate, Its dissapointing, but not exactly surprising. Maybe he is a socio-path who can't help it.

Illwill
Username: Illwill

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How come the article or this thread not once mentioned his family? Where are the people in this kid's life that are suppose to care for him and look out for his best interest?

This could have been derailed if his family gave him a loving home. I don't think he ever had that in his life and I can just as easily blame his family for not disciplining him or teaching him. He is a product of his family environment and surroundings.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting illwill,

While a proper analysis that a solid family will provide, on average, a greater chance of success in the big cruel world... nobody wants to hear that shit.

When my friend arrives to teach a class in the Detroit Public Schools and finds that of 38 kids in class, one has a dad, all thinking people know that a bunch of little girls, and then older girls, and then even older girls that decided it was ok to just keep banging out little buddies with no dads, (along with cool dirt bags who don't have even the most remote understanding of the responsibility of their actions as they play each girl as their toy) have created a generation (or two) of problems.

No one is there when the kids have a tough time. No one is there to kick their ass into gear when they need that extra push and no one is there to steer them away from problems.

Until someone gets the basic concept of a family back into this city, that same very sacred life that was created when this guy was born, will be extinguished in too many other young kids and they will be left with what we see here: A detriment to society that must be locked away from a civilized people.

Lock him up.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crown Royal bags really do come in handy , golf balls , small handguns ,stuff like that. Of course , I always prefer a single malt scotch though......

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2727
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice post, I_m.

Club_boss

Post Number: 475
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who raised him?

When he was locked up (juvenile facility or not) at 11 years old he was a child, physically (pre-pubescent) and well as mentally.

He spent his all of his teenage years incarcerated, he entered puberty, went through puberty, and then became a young man, all the while incarcerated.

One of very few children ever to be incarcerated prior to entering their teen years, Andrew Golden—Jonesboro school shooter comes to mind, and remain in custody until their 21st birthday.

Did I read Michigan has no age minimum when deciding whether to try someone as an adult?

Duke_sims
Username: Duke_sims

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of people wanted this kid to be a poster child for their cause.

As it turned out, that's exactly what happened.

Only it was a different cause.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 321
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have seen this myself as my "BABY GIRL" got out of probation. She has her ups and downs. Lil One Shot is blowing a chance. Maybe if we bought his CD,S HE,D move to Cali then it would be their problem.

Duke_sims
Username: Duke_sims

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish Mafia, I agree with what you said about the absence of fathers, and you presented the point quite eloquently. But you seem to imply this is a Detroit problem. It's not.

A whole lot of American households are devoid of male authority, and the ramifications of this tragedy can be seen everywhere.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5113
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 3:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, it seems that we have serious problems in this country. Kudos to IMs friend who has the balls to work in what is perhaps the country's most dysfunctional public school system. (although perhaps Camden NJ or East St. Louis is worse)

And yet, some people still think we can solve the problems (at gunpoint) in a distant country invented by Winston Churchill, if we just throw enough money and lives at it.

What were they thinking?

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 327
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not excusing him, but he's a product of what's wrong in many cases. Fatherless upbringing, poor parenting by the single parent. This probably doesn't happen in most situations. He deliberately killed at age 11, something was very wrong way back then that can't be fixed. He is a menace to society and will continue to be. Rehab?, don't count on it.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5433
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well you can see your tax dollars at work. Progress!

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nate's problem is that for him the thug life is glamorous...

PONTIAC -- Convicted murderer Nathaniel Abraham had a strong support system when he walked out of a juvenile detention facility last year, including an apartment, access to full college tuition, and a network of social workers who were eager to help him find a job and reintegrate into society.

But all that wasn't enough to keep him out of trouble with the law.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080531/M ETRO/805310375

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan locks up far too many offenders. During the Engler dominated legislatures of the late 80's and the 90's, many legislators persuaded themselves and their constituents that they were accomplishing something important and necessary by "toughening up" the Penal Code with all kinds of mandatory prison time. It was pandering of the worst sort. The costs are coming home to roost now that our per capita Corrections budget is coming close to leading the nation.

That said, there can be no dispute that some offenders are beyond rehabilitation and will never choose to pursue a career other than crime. It seems that Mr. Abraham might be a member of this predator class. When he was released from juvenile custody last year, I saw at least three of the many interviews he gave to the media. Without exception, he had an enormous difficulty articulating any coherent thought other than that he was glad to be free from custody. Other expressions about his plans, desires, and gratitude to bureaucrats and volunteers who had assisted him in his rehabilitation and his reintegration to society seemed rote, emotionless and insincere. In many ways, he projected the attitude that he was a victim of a wrongful conviction. Also, it seemed that he was simply not that bright. There is the very real possibility that he is a person that has neither the moral incentive nor the brains to find and keep a job. This all seems like a perfect recipe for the creation of a career criminal that will likely progress to violent crime. In other words, the kind of individual the State actually should spend money on by locking him up.

A good lawyer might be able to get him probation on this one. Not sure whether his juvenile conviction affects the calculation of his sentence range. If it does, then he gets some adult time for sure. There won't be much rehabilitation going on there for sure. The cycle will continue and he will re-offend. The whole thing sucks, but he might be one of those who can't live any other kind of life.

Club_boss

Post Number: 476
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It certainly “sucks.”

My concern is that there have only been a handful of children (12 and under) incarcerated in this country.
Certainly not enough to study them or form any conclusions as to the psychological effects this action will have, as they definitely have mental deficiencies prior to entering the system.

While his crime was a felony and his behavior and actions criminal, incarcerating an 11-year-old in a juvenile facility, in these cash strapped states (what state isn’t?) is as equally dysfunctional.
I do think he should be removed from society in some way, however he was broken when they released him.
Helping him when he got out? Buying him materialistic things (sincere but superficial) is not help and further shows just how unequipped and ill-prepared society is to deal with a child (12 and under) that spent all of his formative years in a state facility for juvenile offenders.

Wash your hands Pontius Pilate, so this death is not on your hands.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2389
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

QUOTE: "A good lawyer might be able to get him probation on this one"
------------------
A good lawyer knows the law
A great lawyer knows the judge.

This guy better have a REALLY great lawyer. Probation will raise one hell of an outcry from the public.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 205
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is this even a thread? Is ANYBODY really surprised by this story?

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When any attempt at juvenile rehab fails, one can always turn to the "Ludovico Technique" as demonstrated on Alex the Droog in "A Clockwork Orange".

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heh heh heh, well, in a parental role, michigan state leaves little to the imagination. now there is some validity to this thread.

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 225
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mildred Gaddis reported today the Caddy was, allegedly, on loan from one of Nate's mentors, Detroit businessman Herb Strathers. I'm sure Mr. Strathers was thrilled to hear his name being linked to NA's wholesome activities.

BTW, I saw the Channel 4 segment on Friday night about Nate's rapping and how the kids(?) around him said he was going to be a big-time rapper. I teach high school here in Detroit and if I had a dollar for every kid I heard in the past 10 years brag about how he was going to 'drop a CD' or 'make it to the league,' I think I could have retired comfortably several years ago.
Word to your mutha. ;)

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 679
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about basketball?? I hear thats also a popular career choice. LOL

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 786
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He should have been given a 93 Ford Tempo, a small stipend, and a temporary place to stay (if he didn't have one) with the stipulation that he find a job in a reasonable amount of time. Why did he need a Cadillac? Yes it is very possible Nate is a personality type that cannot function in mainstream society.

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 226
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, 'the league' is how kids refer to the NBA. The closest any of our kids has been to the league--other than by buying a ticket for a Pistons game--is that one alumnus was playing b-ball overseas.

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if i believe jail is for punishment or rehabilitation, but this case makes one wonder.

Nathaniel spent 10 of the formative years of his life in the custody of the state and he can't even make a year on the outside? Not to mention all the additional outside assistance he got due to the notoriety of the case. What does freedom have in store for the majority of those released from prison?

Not to say we owe released prisoners anything, but if we don't want them re-engaging in criminal behavior shouldn't something be done to try to ensure that they can become useful members of society.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Willie Green (the 76rs) is a Cooley Alumni and my former student. He came back to Cooley last week as part of a film being done about him (I will NOT be in the film!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.