Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Book"Home in Detroit: Where They Lived ... in the Motor City," « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20080530/O PINION03/805300403

quote:

Like many people who immerse themselves in historical archives and Internet searches, the author who calls himself T. Burton turned to genealogy after a personal loss. He started researching his Motor City roots, "and then I thought, 'Gee, I wonder where this person and that person lived.' "

quote:

it was Burton who found the house where Hoffa lived when he was 14, the year he quit school to become a warehouseman for Kroger. It was Burton who found UAW President Walter Reuther's house on West Philadelphia Street, with the snout of a sedan peeking from the top of the driveway -- a roomy, American-nameplate Chrysler 300. The book includes more than 70 homes, from Archer, Dennis (on Lincolnshire in Palmer Woods) to Wonder, Stevie (on Greenlawn, south of Seven Mile).

quote:

Burton ordered 3,000 copies of "Home in Detroit" and is selling them through George's organization at www.blightbusters.org or (313) 255-4355. The price is $24.99.

He's an amateur, and it shows. Spelling errors pop up in awkward places, like the names of Elijah Muhammad and actor David Alan Grier. But the photos are crisp and the sincerity is clear.

Sounds like an interesting book that MikeM, Jjaba and the Rock need to add to their collections.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 218
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds fascinating. I hope it does well. Lot of famous writers from Detroit, too.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 270
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neat book idea, thanks for the link. A few homes that I know of: Ty Cobb and Michigan governor G. Mennen Williams lived in houses that once were on Wayne State’s campus, and Charles Lindbergh was born in a house a few blocks was the campus/Woodbridge area.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 221
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would anyone know where Danny Thomas lived?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.