Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Anybody been to the Hilton Garden recently? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll try to do my part in supporting Detroit this weekend by spending it downtown. My wife and I are taking in the Tigers game on Saturday and cruising a variety of venues around the Hilton Garden Inn which is centrally located.
Has anyone here been to the hotel lately?
I know Sweet Georgia Brown is nearby as well as the restaurant in the Gem. Has anyone moved into the old New Hellas location yet?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4847
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully there will be a victory parade to go to this weekend, as well.

Can't say much about the hotel other than it looks swell from the outside and it always seems to have people going in and out of it. It appears very reputable.

New Hellas had an Italian restauranteer lined up to come in, no? Don't know if its operational yet.

Harbor House is now located across Gratiot from the HGInn where Cock/Bull was (haven't been there but most people are love/hate with it). You'll be around the corner from Broadway, which means Beer Co. and Small Plates. Might as well see if anything you like is at the Opera House, too.

...go Tigers, beat Cleveland.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 510
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stayed at the HGI twice last summer. Nice rooms. Pool is small. Breakfast buffet is mediocre at best. Definitely don't pay for it if it's not included. Head over to Breakfast House & Grill on Woodward instead. Fishbones is a good dinner bet nearby if you don't feel like Greek.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 969
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul-
Have you called the Hilton Garden? I checked for a room this weekend too, they're booked. Even the budget Milner is booked Sat night. So is the Inn on Ferry Street (BTW, best spot to take your lady for a romantic night in the City).

Is the old Pontchartrain now open for business?

If not, looks like the Marriott for me...

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn over NCAA regional and opening day weekend. It was really nice and is a great location. I can't really speak for breakfast because all I got was coffee and juice, but it looked like a typical hotel breakfast setup. The staff is also very pleasant.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 978
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rrl, yes the Pontch (now Sheraton) is open for business.

Glad to see the hotels are fillin up in detroit!

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hilton Garden is fine. I've stayed, friends have stayed. Nice place.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 640
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some friends of mine from Chicago were just in and stayed at the Sheraton ( old Pontch) and I went over to visit them. They did a pretty nice job on it inside and the room they had ( on 24th floor ) was quite nice and a real nice view.. Its not the most plush hotel we have but they did a good job,, definetly a good alternative now and Im sure fairly reasonable.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've been booked for weeks, so we're ok for the weekend. Just hope the folks over on Broadway aren't trigger happy on Friday or Saturday night.

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the Italian restaurant which will take New Hellas' spot isn't open yet. I was down there today and the windows are still covered w/ fabric.

Username: 48202

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine stays at the Hilton Garden for a few days each month when he is in town on business. The place gets my vote of approval. The Hunter House restaurant has been replaced by a bar & grill. Anyone have any reviews of it?

Paulmcall – Spend some time at the Detroit Festival of the Arts in Midtown this weekend.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6559
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hilton Garden Inn is fine. New, but just basic rooms. Nothing special. Parking is $20 a night.
Is you used the street parking that's ok, but you gotta plug the meters pretty early in the morning. Seems safe to walk around and no car prowls.

jjaba.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 300
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard the Milner isn't a bad choice, they've spruced up the joint a bit.

http://www.milner-hotels.com/d etroit/index.html

Paulmcall

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spent Friday and Saturday at the Hilton Garden Inn and it was pretty good. Great location for Tiger's game and lots of places for dinner or drinks.
One suggestion is if you have a favorite pillow-bring it. This advice goes for an awful lot of hotels, motels etc.
The bar at the hotel was fine and breakfast was average. I did get the omelet free when the waitress forgot to order it in a timely manner.
The bed was great (king size) and it room was roomy.
My biggest gripe was they didn't have Fox sports channel on the room TV. No doubt they want you to see the game in the bar.
Over all, I was impressed with the whole experience. By the way, Sweet Georgia Brown is a very good restaurant. Food was fantastic. Live music got a little loud but you won't leave the place hungry.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 532
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad you had a good time Paul. I used to think only kids took their pillows along but I started bringing mine a couple yrs ago. Even when these nicer hotels give you like 6 pillows they're all tiny or flat.

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 145
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe no one mentioned Lola's as a possible dining spot. It's right across the street in Harmonie Park and it's great.

Vicente's is also two blocks away. For future reference.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or like rocks that you kill your neck on.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.