Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Roller Coaster Crash At Cedar Point » Archive through May 21, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 476
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The strong Cdn dollar should bring more Ontario families to Cedar Point but they keep adding new features to Canada's Wonderland each year so people keep returning to the same park. Also, Darien Lake, outside Buffalo, has hurt Cedar Point.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other factors that help/hurt attendance: Geauga Lake has closed. That was only an hour from Cedar Point. Cedar Point bought the park and closed it down. One of their rides has been moved to Michigan Adventure for this year. That is a plus for attendance for CP. Negatives include that Toledo and Cleveland are in as bad of economic shape as we are, if not worse these days.

Its terrible when park accidents happen, but unfortunately it does. You always take a bit of a risk when you get on a ride, while that risk is small it takes injuries or deaths for some to be reminded of it.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 317
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were an average of 4 deaths per year from roller coasters from 1994 to 2004 in the US.

http://injuryprevention.bmj.co m/cgi/content/abstract/11/5/30 9

You're probably more likely to get hurt driving to and from the park.*

*Not including sunstroke and/or motion sickness.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2174
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plus, they can't get too much patronage from Cincinnati and Columbus (where the economy is "better"), because the bigger and better Kings Island is down there. :-(

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6842
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kings Island is not necessarily better. It is cool, but I don't think it's better. The Vortex is awesome, and the Beast is a classic.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 408
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really think Detroit could support a very small park, or "family fun center" as they are called. Maybe an arcade, mini golf, driving range, go-cart track and some other small rides. I also they they could support a small water park. It would be a great use of all that vacant lands in some corners of the city. Or maybe as a small side attraction to help attract people to Fort Wayne.

Doesn't Greenfield Village have a few rides? And the Riverwalk/Belle Isle does now too. So obviously our area can support them.

I feel really bad about posting this, I was hoping it wasn't true. But thanks for clearing that up WWJ. I really appreciate it.

You guys would really be surprised if you knew how many well known Detroiters lurk (and post)here. Seriously!

Still wondering who my mystery hater is BTW...

Glad they laid off though. This is not the place for that kind of stuff. Sorry about that guys.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6847
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You guys would really be surprised if you knew how many well known Detroiters lurk (and post)here. Seriously!

Sean_of_detroit, who registered 2 months ago, do you think we'd be that surprised? Come on now.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 409
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not you, but some of the people and the way they act around here, know what I mean? Like would they really talk like that when in company of friends or family?

Not that I'm any better, and not that I know anything or anyone anyone else doesn't. I didn't mean it like that. It was mainly meant from that sort of angle Johnlodge, and not at all aimed at regulars like you.

No offence intended.

And I've been lurking around here since day one. Not that it matters.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6848
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can hardly imagine you lurking so long, considering how much you have to say now. ;)

I'm giving you a hard time, in case it isn't obvious.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 410
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, no problems and no worries. I know I seem a little soft, but I can take it. You can blame that on spending so much of my youth in Livonia. But Detroit's toughening me up quiet a bit. Again, I can take it, lol.

And yeah, sorry about all those posts. I'm slowly running out of so much to say. Didn't mean to annoy you guys with it all at ounce like that. I'm really an all right guy if ya give me a chance.

I'm in the process of getting a new apartment/condo back in the cbd this Summer. I'll be making it to all those meetings and picnics soon after. So, you (and everyone else) will be able to judge me first hand soon enough. Until then, try and at least give me the benefit of the doubt?` If ya still don't like me after that, then that's fine.

And I blame my strangeness on Livonia... I'm actually pretty normal when you realize I spent any length of time in a place where everyone spends their free time scrubbing their cars and manicuring their huge lawns (those lawns do look nice though, don't they? Sorry had to say something nice about 'em... ;) )

Edit: Spelling

(Message edited by sean_of_detroit on May 21, 2008)

Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 365
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember another "Wildcat" accident at Cedar Point maybe 30 years ago. A car actually flew completely off one of the hairpin turns and the riders were killed. I was there that day.

A decade or so ago, an accident also occurred on the Corkscrew. The cars broke apart inside a loop and I believe that several were killed when the cars fell to the ground. Another time people hung upside down in the loop until they were rescued.

I guess one should stick with the newer rides that have more safety engineered into them?

I bet many of those occurrences were hushed up in the media in those days.

I used to love going to Edgewater - we had field trips from my downriver school days. I had a lot of "fun" under the roller coaster until the snakes took over the high grass!

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 415
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Classicyesfan... um... you're mistaken. This is the first major ride related accident that has happened at Cedar Point in it's (roughly) 140 year history. They have also never had a ride related death in that same time period.

I can send you a link to some very reputable news sites that list all this type of info if you'd like.

This information can also be found in the history book titled "Cedar Point, Queen of American Watering Places" available on Amazon or the Detroit Public Library Main Branch.

Without being mean, I'm going to say I'm 150% SURE that you must be thinking of somewhere else.

The only death at Cedar Point was a heart attack several years ago in front of the Wildcat. It was however, not ride related.

There are many roller coasters called Corkscrew and Wildcat around the world. Sure it wasn't elsewhere...;)

I'm sure you are mistaken friend.

On another note;

Does anyone have any memories of any of the Detroit area parks (other than Cedar Point)? Is anything left of any of them in the ruins? I know there is one in Ohio that is a ruin very near Cedar Point.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2180
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean of Detroit, Boblo is now a residential estate. :-)

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 367
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend, I've lived in this area since 1967. Have you?

I know Cedar Point intimately. Do you believe everything you've read, or what the media would have you believe? Do you believe that a business always does the right thing, such as reporting accidents in the media? Naive much?

fyi, you are pretty sure of yourself, no? Here's a tip: Don't assume we are friends.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 309
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cedar Point is a first class operation and has one if not the best safety record of all amusement parks.

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 370
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

20043, I did not say that CP is not a first class operation or that it does not have a great safety record.

I think it would be naive to believe that no substantial accident occurred in 140 years, "very reputable" evidence notwithstanding.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 416
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Defensive for no reason?

This was once my thing (hobby). I know a LOT about it.

But I'm not going to argue with you. I was trying to be nice and not call you a liar. It would be like one of the history buffs here arguing with someone about a plane running into the Ren Cen or Penobscott 30 years ago.

Anyways... moving past this please...

Edit: Spelling (thanks buddy)

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 371
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's spelled "LIAR" if you would like precision.

I am not familiar with "plane running into the Ren Cen"; I have not brought up any such concern, so I don't know why you brought that up.

You dislike defensiveness in yourself, so stop defending! I advise you to follow your own advice and "move on". You clearly believe the media, and I question it. So what?

You can do a better job of "trying to be nice".

I have not called you any names and will attempt to refrain from such childish behavior.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 417
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the things people do for attention are so bizarre.

I never really got to see any of Detroit's amusement parks. Where they as big as Cedar Point (or at least as it was back then)?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked Wikipedia (since it was the only source I could find that dated back a while) and discovered only two major incidents in addition to this one: The Magnum crash last year and in 2004 when people where hit with metal from the launch cable on the Top Thrill Dragster. Other than those two and this one, no other accidents have been reported since 1990; however, I did once see the Gemini get stuck with the back car halfway off of the track, with people on it. That was an interesting sight.

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 372
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean_of_detroit,

I could tell you about my first hand experiences at Edgewater, Boblo, and even the the last days at Walled Lake, but nobody likes being called a liar. Don't forget that nobody likes wiseacres either.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one likes children either, so just go to your rooms and finish this argument. :-)

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 373
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise, "no one likes children"? Be careful not to let the wiretappers hear that. They will call you un-American....

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2184
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really? This all-American video below says different :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =KAKaJE4gjYg

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 420
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sigh

I try so hard to be nice to everyone here. I try to make some new friends, add opinions on matters, and learn about the city. Still, some of the people in this thread are giving me a headache (not you Classic, someone else...:-) ).

Lowell, you know what would be a really neat idea for the forums? How about some type of option where we could just ignore certain posters? Like their posts just wouldn't show up? That way we wouldn't even be tempted into responding, and it would be less work for the moderators who have to sift through this bickering and drama that seems to arise from nowhere every so often.

..Or maybe some of the people reading this kind of stuff find it interesting. I guess it contributes to the art project a little, lol. It could really reflect twenty first century culture in the future, that's for sure.

Classicyesfan, I'm willing to ignore that this conversation ever happened if you are. I really don't care which of us is right or wrong. Who honestly cares? I have no reason to start a fight with you. And I'd still love to hear your stories about those other parks (as I'm sure many others here would), if you'd still be willing to share.

I don't care, I'll take the hit. If you say you were at Cedar Point on two separate occasions and saw roller coasters fly off the tracks and people die, then you saw it. I believe you. I'm sorry and I don't want to start any arguments.

Silly me, I don't know what came over me, you're right and I'm wrong. Can you please forgive me for being so sure I was right? I mean... if you Say you saw them first hand.. whatever, so be it. I will step down Classic. Please don't take any of that personally.

Now was Edgewater on the one on (I think) Seven Mile and Grand River, or near the Belle Isle Bridge? Did it have any big coasters or rides?

<----Has a headache!

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 421
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We cool?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't mean to sound offensive Classicyesfan, I mean come on, it's the internet.

I usually care less about what you guys think about me or my point of view.

I already ignore the people I don't want to associate with (instead of starting a conflict), and you're not one of them. :-)

With that said, why all the pointless bickering?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 422
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really wish everyone wasn't invisible on here sometimes Detroitrise, ya' know?

Strange world we live in...

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 423
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next time your in stop and go traffic on 75... or locked in a room at 36th district for jury duty, think back to this thread and remember that some people from this thread could be right next to you... very, very scary!

Keeps it interesting though.

Mrnittany
Username: Mrnittany

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a bizarre couple tangents this thread went on.

Anyway, my contribution is that I worked at Cedar Point for 1 summer (mid-90s) back in my undergrad days.

Lots of fun, work during the day and party w/ all the other young-ins all night. Repeat that process for 12 weeks.

Certainly a job to recommend for any other college kids looking for a way to spend a summer.

Don't recall seeing any coasters flying off the tracks that particular summer, but I was mighty hung-over half my days, maybe I missed it ........