Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Funk Night This Weekend? » Archive through May 30, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Amgasper01
Username: Amgasper01

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone confirm if Funk Night is planned for this upcoming Friday? I understand it's usually the last Friday of every month. Is it still at the Woodbridge Gallery on W. Forest? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2099
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, the (real) one with brad hales is at the woodbridge gallery is this friday

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 642
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you talking about Aarons Funk Nite. Ive only been to the one on Rosa Parks. Did it move?

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2100
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are two funk nights, one at the CAID and one at the woodbridge gallery...the latter one features the guy (and his record collection) that started the craze

(Message edited by gravitymachine on May 28, 2008)

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 274
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought they were at the Detroit Bohemian Home at least the last time I went they were

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2101
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitluv.com/inde x.php?topic=46351.msg514779#ne w

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 353
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brad didnt start that night.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 602
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What kind of "Funk" are you speaking of? Brad who....Duncan? What?

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 275
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best Friday night dance party in town thats what!

Django

Post Number: 645
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Aaron Timlin has been putting on his funk nites for a few years now as I recall. At CAID

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 772
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to go! I want to go! E-mail a reminder at Terry783@hotmail.com. Im off work Saturday and need a night out.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 869
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was under brads record spinning that the event got so large. after a dispute with caid, the two parties went their seperate ways. each still hosts a "funk night," but brad's is the authentic one. after going to both a few times, I would say... if you want a party with no dancing, lame people, but NO RULES, go to CAID. if you want dancing, good crowd, but are willing to pay for your drinks, go to WBG.

Eap
Username: Eap

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodbridge gallery has rules? I mean if rules include a valid MLCC license to serve and a curfew to respect the residents of the neighboring homes then it's news to me.

Have fun and don't forget your ships chain for your fixie!

Soulhawk

Post Number: 354
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess Scott Craig had nothing to do with the night.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2374
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aaron Timlin and co. have claim to the name. But I think Brad's "got the funk." :-)

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2106
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol @ eap and his ship chain

(Message edited by gravitymachine on May 29, 2008)

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2107
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I guess Scott Craig had nothing to do with the night.

i don't claim to know the whole story, but according this article i found, it sounds like a collaborative effort

http://media.www.thesouthendne ws.com/media/storage/paper1243 /news/2007/09/05/Ae/After.Hour s.Funk.Night.Promises.Debauche ry.And.Timeless.Beats-2949171. shtml

Django

Post Number: 650
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like they both deserve credit equally. Brads a DJ but not a promoter, vice versa for Aaron.

They have free drinks at Brads funk nite?

I think Aarons, to his credit, has done a pretty damn good job though. Only one altercation in the years hes been doing this. (that I know of, which he told me about) I think thats a pretty good record to hold. I have never been to Brads, didnt even know about it so I cant comment on it.

Django

Post Number: 651
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also to Aarons credit (Im not dissin on brad here) hes a curator, more importantly hes an artist, he doesnt back down, its practically his signature, I love that about him. He obviously had a vision for what "HIS" funk nite was going to be and it didnt feel right to Brad. I hope theres no bad blood.

Am I spelling Aarons name wrong, I forgot??

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2375
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Two Cents: Skip CAID's Funk Night and check out their movie and barbecue night instead.

Django

Post Number: 652
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What nites are the movies, I could look it up on the e mails but mind as well post it if you know.

Dtales
Username: Dtales

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every Monday night beginning June 2nd will be BBQed movie night at the CAID. Grill starts at 9, movie at 9:30. Check out www.myspace.com/barbecuedmovie for the movie lineup.

The ORIGINAL original Funk Night was, I believe, the CAID's. Then came the Woodbridge offshoot. Then the briefly-lived BoHouse offshoot. I believe Ed Gardiner also tried to do something with it, too, at Studio 601 or through Edgewise at Bittersweet Cafe or something (some hazy recollections of this)...it all kind of blends, but the ***ORIGINAL*** I believe was CAID's, but THOSE DJs left for one of the offshoots...I believe the BoHouse offshoot.

I think.

The details are muddled.

So yeah...barbecued movie night sounds cool.

Django

Post Number: 659
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Dt. Ive got it on my calender now.

Anyone ever want to hook up for one maybe we could split expenses on charcole, fluid, grill, meats ect. make a thread.

I never knew the Bo had a funk nite, what a great place to have something like that. I lived there for a while. Im not even sure if Scott still owns the place. Hes another good one. What a great building, it has EVERYTHING. Bar, stage lounge type area, living space. god the hood is kind of scary though. Its like the only downfall. But I havnt been there in quite a while so it may have changed.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 240
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brad's original funk night SO rules. Every last Friday @ Woodbridge, drinks are not free but who cares? It's a great time!
here's a good link to keep up with the schedule
www.detroitluv.com/index.php?t opic=46351

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2109
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

but the ***ORIGINAL*** I believe was CAID's, but THOSE DJs left for one of the offshoots

personally, i base my interpretation of whoever was the originator of the event on who had the record collection(s) and the idea that made it possible, not which semi-legal venue was used to host it. to get all metaphysical, the building is merely a vessel of the funk

(Message edited by gravitymachine on May 30, 2008)

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear there might be a rumble there tonight:

www.theonion.com/content/node/ 29205

you can't fight the funk!

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And in the end, does it really matter who started it? Personally, I have an appreciation for Brad's record collection, so I'll go where he is.

If I want to hang out afterhours with a bunch of CCS/WSU students who are ten years younger than me, and crowd the bathrooms doing blow all night, I'll go to CAID. Not that they are the only clientele there, but that's usually what I see when I 'end up' there.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 188
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocknroll,

Funny characterization :-)

I've only been to CAID's funk night once or twice - I love the music, but I can't stay up that late any more without a long disco nap beforehand - but that seems to describe to a "T" the crowd when I was there, and that was a couple of years ago. I guess I can't really comment on the blow part. Also, aside from two among my group of friends, it was entirely white. I certainly fit the bad-dancing demographic.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 241
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with RockNRoll.
It's Brad's deal, from when the last Fridays were @ Detroit Contemporary, then Bohemian and now, Woodbridge. Nothing compares as long as he's in the game! His record knowledge and collection is totally impressive and he just knows how to get people moving. The feeling coming from the Original Funk party is just so good and freeing. Brad's like the Pied Piper on this one, and I'm following the funk

Soulhawk

Post Number: 356
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good God! that Onion article was awesome! Thanks for the link.