Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Safe Surrender « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

News950
Username: News950

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

700 people showed up in the first hour.

http://www.wwj.com/Safe-Surren der-Program-Begins/2308837

(Message edited by News950 on June 04, 2008)

Lostlegumes
Username: Lostlegumes

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The number 700? A Church? Was Pat Robertson there?

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 722
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine plans on going through this program. shes curious how many ppl were arrested, and if you have to have cash to lay down towards fines not paid.

Anyone, anyone?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1745
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On channel 4... they say 1,000 people were in line today. People are cheering and chanting like they are happy to be in line.

Django

Post Number: 728
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know of any first hand accounts of how it all worked?

Django

Post Number: 805
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that they closed the gates today at 9am, right when they opened, they had too many ppl as it was. Said their going to announce new dates. The line was almost all the way to I75 from around the block on Dequinder.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, that's good that people are taking some responsibility for their actions.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4838
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A brilliant idea. Think of the countless hours and dollars saved by the public safety in serving warrants, arresting, and processing. It is kind of like a honeypot sting without the stinger.

I would hope there would be some sort of legal resources advisors present so as to point these people, who are taking the first step in the right direction, to the next step of understanding their rights and responsibilities.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess word spread on people with warrants being sent letters in the mail indicating that they could come to a certain location and pick up a free television set that they won.

That was a great idea and according to media reports many people fell for it. The problem is it has a very short shelf life.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5509
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Fugitives receive favorable consideration ...

That's pretty vague. From whom? What kind of consideration?

Yeah, it's a great idea. Why make it a one-time deal though? Are they just saying that to motivate participants?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2555
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the point is that these fugitives have nothing too loose, but only stand to gain by going and turning themselves in. It doesn't sound as though their are any promises for leniency. They can't promise anything. If a murderer shows up, he is prob not likely to get any sympathy.

Django

Post Number: 808
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually heard a murderer did turn himself in. Of course hes not going to get any years off his sentence but the jails are so full as it is, theres not going to be many arrests. Thats the whole point. They claim its for DPDs safety. By getting rid of all the warrants out there, there is less likely to be an incident when a person with a warrant is pulled over. This is like the 5th one in the US and we blew the doors off the old record of ppl turning themselves in I believe on the first day. Granholms driver responsibility act had MUCH to do with this amount of ppl with warrants.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The safe surrender program is for non-violent offences only.

Django

Post Number: 821
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive been thinking about this and the news should be on this story. I know that a majority of thoes ppl down there at the church today were there because of Granholms driver responsibility act. Its like an extra 200 bucks a ticket when you get pulled over. Wouldnt that be considered double jeopardy? Ive heard there was a petition to repeal that BS. I dont know how its going. Detroiters know that the cops WILL NOT haul you in for driving on a suspended license, or warrants because of traffic tickets. So ppl dont pay them. They drive in the city, rarely leave the city while driving, thy rack up more tickets, cant pay them due to the outrageous fees. Now we have to have this safe surrender. I heard if you dont have the cash when you turn yourself in, you get community service. Which Im down with, but this driver responsibility act is BS for the poor.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still looking for that one armed man.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2397
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was one guy standing in line , kinda short with a trimmed beard. He had a fistful of traffic tickets in his hand relating to speeding/parking tickets while driving the Dexter bus. He was really upset that he had to travel over to the Eastside in order to fess up.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am happy to see the first reference to the "driver responsibility act", perhaps it's been referenced in some other thread, I dunno. It is illegal, and though I'm a far cry from a lawyer, I have been TOLD that it is illegal from a few of them. However... who's gonna fight for the, heh, "criminal element", eh? Say what you want, or whatever your opinion on the topic may be, BUT, if you ever happen to fall through the slits into the corkscrew blender blades of menial traffic violation justice - heh, you'll get handled worse than a pedophile. I used to take a speeding ticket once in a while, just to have a bit of fun. Not no mo. Again, another brilliant example of Michigan's forward-thinking - "mire them in confusion, create a solution, and then make that solution even more confusing, and then in the end, tap 'em in the wallet to put an end to the problem. The secret? Don't advertise it." Brilliant. High Five Mo Fo's!

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 343
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the prosecutor's standpoint, the event was very successful. The "favorable consideration" that has befuddled a few of you is a little bit of a misnomer. You're not likely to get years off the sentence per se, it'd be more likely that you'd get closer to the bottom of the sentencing recommendation. The big idea is that you came in of your own volition and in a peaceful manner. It's when DPD has to bust out the pepper spray and call for backup that the "unfavorable considerations" start sprouting. Putting yourself and DPD in danger is no way to win favors in the legal system, that's for sure.

Django

Post Number: 831
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard ppl were told by the cops at 9am on Saturday that they would be announcing new dates because there were so many ppl showing up. They told everyone to go hope and watch the news for more dates. now I saw this in the freep.WTF.http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2008806080713

My friend didnt see any vouchers being handed out, She was told to go home. Where does this leave her. The place was supposed to be open until 5pm Saturday, they wound up closing it down at 9am, the time they were supposed to open. Apparently they let in a limited amt. of ppl then closed the gate. She said official like ppl and the cops were telling everyone to go home. My friend very scared she missed her chance. She showed up on Friday and Sat, both times they closed before they were supposed to. Im calling Bill Gallager.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6571
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rock. jjaba doesn't know the Eastside, and for anythng legal, does his bidness on the Westside. But for The Forum, can The Rock post a picture of his own voucher and summons? That would be instructive.

jjaba.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2398
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine are issued only from the GPS, GPW, police departments, and are disposed of in a very expedient manner, no publicity, no costs.
REMEMBER
Don't explain, don't complain.
A good lawyer knows the law,
A great lawyer knows the judge.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 193
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So how would one normally turn oneself in? Can you just go to the police station and fess up? Considering there are 40,000 fugitives in the county, wouldn't a year-round, weekly, or monthly program be warranted (no pun intended)?

Rugbyman

Post Number: 344
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django: The response was completely unforeseen. Not that the office was caught completely flatfooted, but honestly, who'd have thought that there'd be such a response?

We were told fairly adamantly that this is a one-shot deal, presumably because you don't want to set a precedent that it's fine to skip bail and surrender a few years later. It's hard to argue with the results though.

The last word I heard was it was VERY successful for the 36th, less so for the 3rd circuit. However, bear in mind that if your case is bound over to Frank Murphy, you've done something pretty bad and something tells me you're not going to be likely to turn yourself in if you fail to appear. The misdemeanors and civil infractions the event targeted are pretty much all taken care of at the 36th.

Django

Post Number: 834
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rugby. my friends case is out of the 36th. Its a probation violation. Apparently the last time she was brought in the judje told her the next time she was brought in she would be "housed" somewhere. Shes just scared. Shes a good person who made a mistake. Shes been an addict for a long time but has recently got her shit together and is doing really great, ie clean. Im very proud of her. Any light you could shed on how to have her deal with this situation would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6572
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As we were on-line at the Safe Surrender, The Rock, Grosse Pointe's most infamous trial lawyer, was handing out business cards like they do down to Central Lock-up on Beaubien Street.

Django, hire a good lawyer like The Rock.
Get some nice 8X10 glossies of the sober friend for the mouthpience to show her fav. judge.
That's one approach.

jjaba.

Rugbyman

Post Number: 345
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly, it's very much contingent on which judge she's in front of. About the best I can say is implore your friend to turn herself in. Tell her to explain the situation where she tried to go to safe harbor but couldn't get in, make sure she highlights her sobriety. But you should also tell her that probation violations can be dealt with with a stint at Wayne County. The longer she waits, the less likely she's going to receive positive considerations.

Out of curiosity, what type of offense was it? Drug-related, I assume? Sale or simple possession?

Django

Post Number: 840
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rugby, I just called her, she believes her Judge is named Jackson, said he was in the basement of the 36th. It was a breaking and entering charge. She has no prior felonies. She got probation. She was tying to finish the probation but with her addiction and some injuries that put her in a wheelchair for a while she had a hard time. I know shes clean now, she doesnt have a problem with finishing her probation now that shes clean. She just wants to get this out of the way. Get on with her life so to speak. Her offense was non violent, no weapons or anything (I dont think she had any weapons on her, Im sure she didnt have a gun but may have had a knife, Im not sure)

Shes a good girl, she wants to do right.

Rugbyman

Post Number: 346
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know what to tell you. Again, it comes down to the judge. I'd recommend she talk to a defense attorney if for no other reason than to get a second opinion. Best of luck.

Django

Post Number: 845
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rugby. Totally appreciate your help. Im sure everything will work out for her. Shes got it goin on now. A few days in jail wont kill her if it comes to that. .

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.