Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Wayne State to save Macomb library « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 315
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news for Macomb County.
http://macombdaily.com/stories /060408/loc_local01.shtml

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 902
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have spent most of my life as a Macomb resident and I have to admit it makes me sick that the first thing it seems they talk about with budget cuts is closing the county library. The county library is a great facility. They will bend backwards to build new homes and Wal-Marts but hells as soon as there is trouble they want to get rid of the library. I am thrilled that Wayne State has stepped up I just wish that the politicians of Macomb cared more about important county assets like the library. I got an idea actually lets sell the land and put up a CVS or a new condo!

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1645
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have spent most of my life as a Macomb resident and I have to admit it makes me sick that the first thing it seems they talk about with budget cuts is closing the county library.

Macomb County has been running persistent $8-10 million deficits for the past several years and they have been tapping the "rainy day fund" to cover them. They have finally exhausted that fund and now must make a lot of hard choices. Up to now, the County Commissioners have found it to be a lot easier to let the Library wither and die a slow death than to do battle with the unions to fix the ballooning pension and health care costs that are the major cause of the deficits. This agreement with WSU only reduces county spending on the Library from $3.1 to $2.7 million a year and the annual savings represent only 4% of the projected deficit.

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can have too many libraries. Macomb Co. should distribute it's library budget to the cities and townships. Aren't the big libraries in Warren, Sterling Heights, Clinton Twp, Macomb Twp, SCS, Roseville, and all the smaller town's libraries enough?

Consolidation is a good way to save money, and actually improve service in some respects.

This is just one of the many libraries currently being under-utilized by Macomb County residents: http://www.mim-online.org/gall ery/Clinton-Macomb-Library/ind ex.html

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2546
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prime example right there of the difference between government run programs/provided services and those that are (essentially) privately run; draw your own conclusions.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.