Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » You're From Detroit? Rap something for me! » Archive through June 06, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 259
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 5:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone actually said this to me today.

And this was after he guessed I was from NY.

I'd be curious to hear of some reactions you get when people learn you're from Detroit. Especially those of you who live out of state.

I get mistaken for a New Yorker a lot. I don't know why...I sound just like you.

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, hey it's the Detroit rap,
Put your hands together and make 'em clap,
My name is Yooper and I came to say
Detroit is the best city in the U.S.A.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was in Jamaica ... "You're from Detroit, where are your guns? We hear people from Detroit don't leave home without their guns"

When I was living working in the burbs of NY, my co workers didn't know NY is like my second home and tried to tell me NY can be a shaddy place. Then one guy chimes in ..."He's from Detroit, so I think he's probably seen much worse."

One time in Indianapolis a friends mother finds out I'm from Detroit and says "Drive him by the ghetto so he can feel at home" I loled at that one for a while.

Graceful
Username: Graceful

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After learning that we just moved from Detroit to Harper Woods, a few students asked my brother on his first day at HW High if he had ever been in a drive-by shooting.

I couldn't believe it when my brother told me this.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 1898
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't live in Detroit, but I work downtown. When I tell people in the suburbs this, they say "How many times have you been shot at" and they think it is a serious question.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2422
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see a lot of people still "rhyming" on the street. Workin' those battle skills. :-)

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've been around the weirld and ALways my detroit heritage deemed me skilled in various forms of thievery. "locked the keys in my car, call GG!" ;-)

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit city is the place to be,
Having so much fun in "The D",
Let's hit the roof at the Hockeytown Cafe,
Detroit's the best city in the U.S.A.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2425
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My name is Yooper
And I'm here to tell you,
I'm still rappin'
Like they rapped in '82.

So put your hands in the air,
And wave 'em like ya just don't care.
I like it,
I love it,

etc. etc.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met someone from Troy in Houston while watching a Wings game at an ice house recently.

"You're from Detroit? But you're... you're... WHITE."

What a total honkey!

I've noticed that most people I meet from Michigan "abroad" don't want to talk anymore once they've found out I'm actually from Detroit.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 768
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in a warehouse in Oakland Ca. when I moved in I immediately noticed the writing on the bathroom wall "I figured out NY, I figured out LA, but no one will ever figure out Detroit"

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 468
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I lived in Vancouver I got two responses:
"Wow Detroit! Pretty dangerous huh?" and "Wow! Big city, must make Vancouver seem small!"

When I lived in Warsaw the people were more concerned with what I thought of Poland... seems they have a similar image problem there.

Brian_fitzcarraldo
Username: Brian_fitzcarraldo

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you really blame them? Just enjoy the street cred :-)

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 293
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's hot on the street today in the D
Detroit is where I have to be

Roll down Woodward
Left on Jefferson
Past the RenCen
Toward some Belle Isle fun
Got my car shined up
And we're cruisin the strip
Then it's to the Scott Fountain
And we're takin a dip
Headed to the Hard Rock
'cause we all need a beer
Detroit is the best
F*ck what ya hear!

WERD!

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since my regional accent doesn't match my current location, this comes up regularly...

Somebody: Did you grow up around here?
Me: No, my hometown's Detroit.
Somebody: Oh, yeah, my ____ (friend, sister-in-law, boss, etc.) is from there. He/she lived in ____ (any suburb, and as far away as Flint.)
Me: But I mean I lived right IN Detroit!

So, what do you think? Are people just oblivious that everywhere in SE MI does not qualify as being "from Detroit" or are my questioners just being nervously polite in case I have my gun on me? Kidding!

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 414
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. The last person I told that I was from Detroit handed me his wallet, car keys, wrist watch, spare change and begged me not to kill him because he has a wife and young daughter at home. I was about to tell him I had a job but he ran off so fast and nearly got hit by a car as he ran into traffic. Oh well...

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 933
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I went to school in RI I was asked what 'set' I claimed.. they wanted to hear some good gang stories...

they def were scared of me my freshman year

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 592
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell, if I lived in Flint I'd tell people I lived in Detroit, too.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 202
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrsjdaniels-RISD?

Chow-odd, when I was in Vancouver w/a friend we told the locals jerkoff we were from L.A. they demanded to see our guns. Then they said "ha ha, it's supposed to snow tonight-you guys are gonna freeze yer asses off". When I informed them I was born in Detroit they asked 2 see BOTH of my guns...

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5504
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked in a professional environment in Phoenix so people wouldn't verbally blurt out their first reaction. Instead, invariably, they would turn to look directly at me and their pupils would dilate.

Then they changed the subject.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 390
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went down to..... the corner store.....
to buy a pack of smokes and a box of smore's.....

crazy mofo....... coming up in my face.....
ask me for a square I push him outta my face........

smack him in the lips...... he falls down......
That's what get for messing with Leroy Brown!

Word to the mothership

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 260
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha! These are better than I thought they'd be.

And now that I think about it, Detroiters have talked in rhyme since time began. My grandparents used to do that to me...in Italian, of course. It must be the water.....

Once, I was introduced to a particularly handsome guy, and he took a step BACKWARDS to shake my hand! (Gasp!)

(Message edited by eastsidedame on June 06, 2008)

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 516
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Not Detroit Detroit, right?" is what I usually get. Then I say yeah, I live in the city, and they take a step back.
Or "I was in Detroit once, Ann Arbor to be exact."

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 934
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flyingj - Johnson & Wales...but i'd scare RISD, PC and BRown students too
---
I forgot this one...now that we've moved to Charlotte, NC, I see MI plates A LOT... I tend to say "from Michigan" since hubby is from GRap...do you know ppl say where, Michiganders no less, and I say Detroit- the look on their face - PRICELESS!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrsj, when were you at Johnson and Wales. My nephew graduated from the one in RI and now he teaches at the one in Charlotte.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 517
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was out west recently and this la-ti-da old bag at a wine tasting asked what in the world did I do for a living in Detroit?? "I thought it was a dead town?? and there's NO work there??" she asked. I was SO tempted to say "drug dealer".

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 840
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Different spin - on a train in the old East Germany I had a long conversation with the locals: they'd never heard of Detroit... not MoTown, not the Arsenal of Democracy.

Funny, though: I've heard "I'm not surprised" when I tell suburban friends that Detroit was home... a good-natured dig.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 778
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny how ppl will refuse to live down here but when their asked where there from, Detroit is usually the answer. And they seem to relish saying it.

"we bad, thats right, uh huh, we bad"
Pryor and wilder

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, I think it's more a matter of naming the largest city you live near. People from New York are more likely to have heard of Detroit than Livonia or Romeo.

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 935
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JCOle...i went from 96-00, I live in Charlotte now...what does he teach?

I teach at a local community college now