Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Regional Bus, Rail Proposal Unveiled « Previous Next »
Archive through September 26, 2008Upinottawa30 09-26-08  11:18 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 321
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is proposed downriver commuter rail to Monroe.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^^

There is, I live in Monroe, where did you see that?

Stromberg2

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 322
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's in the proposed regional transit plan. Read the article by metromedia above and you will see.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Dtowncitylover!

Stromberg2

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 323
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem Stromberg2, I read that article religiously.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 330
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The DTOGS study group decided that BRT was almost the only choice for anything more than enhanced regular bus service on Gratiot because of the huge expense in rail construction costs along that corridor... overpasses, bridges, new right-of-way, etc.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 462
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am interested in the Metro Airport line (down Michigan). This seems like a must have for the system and hopefully can have a quick turnaround once the Woodward line is in place. Would anyone like to guess the rout this would take? Could they use the I-94 median? I looked at google maps and saw there were freight lines that take a straight shot there (and connect with Michigan at an overpass), but I assume that would not be feasible, as there is no room to add two tracks along that right away.

Melocoton
Username: Melocoton

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One issue of concern for me:

The plan as summarized at http://www.metromodemedia.com/ devnews/regionaltransitdetails 0086.aspx refers only to the privatized Woodward Light Rail plan, the one that goes only to Grand Blvd. Has this surpassed the DTOGS (hope I have the acronym right) plan? I really hope not; first of all, I'm really skeptical about private public transportation. Mainly, though, the DTOGS light rail train to 8 Mile Rd was much more ambitious, much more comprehensive, and much more likely to get heavy use than a train that goes only to Grand Blvd.

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 463
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A random question: is the track gauge used for the Woodward Light Rail comparable to the People Mover track gauge? Could the People Mover system be revamped to use the same cars?

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 403
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The People Mover is standard-gauge. However, the people mover is not compatible with anything else, and it is highly unlikely you could retrofit it to use other equipment. I don't even see why you would try.

Ljbad89
Username: Ljbad89

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melocoton: If I remember rightly, a list of plans by certain years said extending Woodward light rail in increments up to Pontiac by a certain date was the goal. So the assumption would be that even if it was excluded in the list you saw, there are still plans to extend light rail past 8 Mile and beyond.

The way I see it, Hertel and his team want to build the 3-mile light rail down Woodward quickly so that it can be ready by the time the Ann Arbor - Detroit commuter rail project starts. I can imagine in the future that the TRAIL project and DTOGS project will be consolidated into one light rail line.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 519
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can someone who was at the open house please explain what types of things they saw?

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 464
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the TRAIL and the DTOGS project consolidate, is it possible the project could expand? Such as into Ferndale or all the way to the Detroit Zoo?

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 324
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, by 2015 or 2020, I forget, the Woodward line is supposed to be up to 11 Mile. Read the article by metromedia above.

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 465
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should have been more clear, I am talking about expansion within the first step. Not waiting till 2015 or 2020. Thus, as the first step goes to 8 mile, could consolidation allow the first step to reach the Detroit Zoo?

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 325
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, unfortunately, TRAIL and DTOGS don't extend past Detroit city limits.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 889
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My personal opinion, and I could well be wrong, is that it's prudent to limit this to Detroit proper to start with. Too many good plans have been killed by regional infighting, and I think it needs to be proven successful before we can risk inviting Brooks to the table.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 771
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does Brooks have to be at the table? Why can't service go to Ferndale or Royal Oak with local government support? There's nothing legally that would prevent an authority that could include Oak. Co. communities but not the county proper.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm wondering why the DTOGS website is down? Can someone just check and see that I'm not the only one experiencing this

www.dtogs.com
is the address.

Novine

Post Number: 779
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

works fine

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with this plan is that it supports the private trolley line to Grand Blvd. As a first step, the DTOGS LRT to 8 Mile would be so much more effective. Think about it. Who would even ride a line that goes essentially from downtown to downtown? And the fact that the private plan uses curb-loading trolleys with more stops and slower speeds means that they will essentially become glorified buses. It's not likely or useful for that type of rail to be extended any farther. An actual light rail line to 8 Mile would create an alternative for people living in neighborhoods north of New Center, and would be seen as a positive gesture towards the neighborhoods and suburbs.

Remember, most of the riders filling those often talked about Woodward buses don't come from the CBD or New Center. There's no reason they would ride the private plan's trolleys from downtown to downtown.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 334
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Novine. It didn't work for a couple of hours. No biggie, but thanks for answering that question!

Transitrider
Username: Transitrider

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw the RTCC plan last week? What did you think? Didn't get to see it but want to hear more about it? Discuss Tuesday night at TRU Fall General Meeting (open to the public)

TRU Fall Meeting - Tuesday, Oct 7, 6:30pm
Come to our Fall Meeting!

It’s been a while since we held a regular TRU member meeting. This spring and summer, we instead held outreach meetings in Oakland, Macomb and western Wayne Counties, with our friends at MOSES. So join us at our fall meeting!

Don’t miss this meeting and your opportunity to:
Get updates on top transit issues and TRU activities,
Share your thoughts on the proposed regional transit plan, and
Help develop a plan to respond to and support the transit plan.

Tuesday, Oct. 7, 6:30pm

Guardian Building lower mezzanine
500 Griswold, in downtown Detroit
Light dinner provided. Donation requested ($5 members, $10 others)

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 525
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did anyone go to the meeting last night? if so, what was said? thanks

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check this out: State bill introduced regarding private proposal... is this awesome shit REALLY happening in our city? FINALLY

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a rticle/20080930/FREE/809309949 /-1

can I hear a whoop? can I hear a Yipeee!?

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 341
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yipeee!!! Why does the article mention that Woodward is a state highway? I know it is (M-1), but does that effect anything?

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 466
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could the private and public plans still merge or is this a signal that won't happen. Furthermore, could they still merge even after a bill is signed?

J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope they can, because the private plan is not going to be as effective as people think. DDOT has been communicating with MDOT about their Light Rail proposal for a while now, while the private plan has made almost no info open to the public. So it's hard to know if they can merge. The problem is they're promoting fundamentally different types of rail. The private plan are using streetcars that load on the side of the road, and the Public plan is using center-of-road Light rail that is faster and has the capability to extend more efficiently. Not to mention the significantly shorter length (3 vs 8 miles) of the private plan, with the same number of stations. (13 for both plans)

I wish people didn't just assume that the only positive developments in this city will come from the private sector. DDOT is just as far in making their plan happen, and I think these 2 competing plans will conflict before they compromise.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 342
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still think that they can be compatable. DTOGS can have their plan above New Center and TRAIL can have theirs below. I love the idea of streetcars, light rail is also cool.

J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would create a mandatory transfer at New Center for people wanting to ride farther up Woodward, which might not go over too well.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you go to semcog.org and look at the RTCC document which is posted there, you will see that the idea of LRT only as far as New Center is by design temporary. The RTCC plan calls for LRT along Woodward to at least 11 Mile Road by the year 2015.

There is a wealth of other information in the document as well. If you went to the public meetings, it is a compilation of the posters you saw there. If you didn't go, here's a chance to see the plan.

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 469
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this indeed expanded to 11 mile, what would the natural ending point be? Furthermore, would it be best for future extension to go via Woodward to Birmingham or veer off to Royal Oak?

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 363
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will DDOT and SMART have to reorganize when this becomes a reality? Will the DDOT's name change? My I suggest, DTC or DTA (Detroit Transit Commission or Authority).

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a rticle/20080930/FREE/809309949 /-1

After so many years of waiting for this its so sad to see it mature into another one of our failures. I can't wait to catch a ride on this and watch buses race past it. BOOOOOO TRAIL!!! 23 stations! NO People Mover 2.0!!

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry...where in your link does it specify twenty-three stations? What did I miss?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5958
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Woodward plans each call for future expansion, such as along Gratiot and Michigan avenues.

The private plan has been closely guarded since first reported on by Crain’s in February.

Peter Karmanos Jr., founder of Detroit-based software maker Compuware Corp., and Mike Ilitch, owner of the Detroit Tigers and Detroit Red Wings and co-founder of Little Caesars Pizza, are the most recent names confirmed among the cadre of influential backers that have committed undisclosed sums to construction of the private Woodward loop.

They join Penske Corp.’s Roger Penske and Quicken Loans/Rock Financial found Dan Gilbert as those known to back the proposal.

In July, the Wayne State University Board of Governors authorized a $3 million, 10-year deal to advertise on one of the line’s 23 stations.

Such advertising counts among the funding avenues for the proposal, which is estimated to require a $4.2 million to $5.6 million annual operating subsidy.

Up to $50 million from the Troy-based Kresge Foundation has also reportedly been pledged to the project, which is believed to have nearly 90 percent of its funding lined up.

W_chicago
Username: W_chicago

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For transit, I don't think it's wise to consider a project based on demand alone. I think a lot of demand is creating by providing a lot of supply. A huge reason why so many of Detroit's dense old urban corridors have not been reoccupied is the lack of transit. I think most people would rather live in a place with transit right now, than move someplace that doesn't and hope that it comes soon.

Following this logic, I think a more aggressive transit policy makes sense. Develop light-rail on at least the 6 major corridors leading into Downtown: Woodward, Michigan, Gratiot Jefferson, Grand River, Fort. Then build light-rail or street cars on smaller corridors like Warren or Mack. All bus routes will connect to rail, which will in turn dramatically improve bus service.

I understand the limitations due to funding and just plain politics. But we need to come together as a city and as a region and demand from our local, state, and national leaders that we need comprehensive and quality mass transit!

Russix

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The TRAIL system does not step up to fill the void of mass transit. It's curb side lanes and close proximity stops lend itself the term tourist train or connecting service. TRAIL would be more appropriate running on Cass Ave and John R. It would logically be in closer proximity to the corporations and private interests that wish to fund it and would not interfere/destroy DTOGS.

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 367
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone needs to go over to Hertel's house and demand he partner with DTOGS.

But the idea he has for a streetcar is much different than light rail. The modern streetcar is, i think, smaller in car size than the light rail, but of course it doesn't make it right NOT to partner together.

Ljbad89
Username: Ljbad89

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Hertel's way of thinking is: With the DTOGS proposal, it wouldn't be up and running until 2013 due to the government funding process. With his private, locally-funded plan, it could be running in late 2010 to coincide with the Detroit - Ann Arbor Rail Project. Personally, I would rather see median-running trains instead of curbside. Dangerous? If that's the case, then why allow people to cross the street at all?

J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After going to the Model D speaker series tonight, it was clear that Hertel still looks at the DTOGS proposal in a negative light. Although a DDOT representative shared the stage with him during a q and a session, Hertel barely acknowledged their plan, except to say that they could never secure funding since it wasn't a private business venture.

Why can't we get along?

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i just want to add my historically correct, 100% accurate opinion: real mass transit in detroit = no way. it's just a scam for people who are friends of politicians, so they can write proposals and then attend cocktail parties, and then express their disdain for the republican party through interpretive dance.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2036
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would mass transit significantly lower insurance rates in Detroit?

It has been said (on here) that part of the insurance problem is that so many people are driving around without insurance.

If you can't afford it, you have no real options here (and there is a decent amount of low income people in the city limits). Giving those people another option should help diminish that problem, correct?

Of course, less drivers in a given community, should also mean less potential problems/claims.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3481
Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean: You're assuming that insurance rates are actually based on the likelihood of something bad happening to your car. They're really not, IMHO. They're based on which areas have the least political pull. In areas that are poorly represented, where people can't raise holy hell, that's where they'll stick it to you.

Russix

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would it be possible for DTOGS to divide the construction into phases. They could focus on building the stations between Grand Blvd. and Grand Circus Park People Mover station, undercut the TRAIL plan in costs(less track, less stations, less curb modifications) and sell advertising rights to the stations to lower costs further. I think around $75 million we could get local, state, and federal funding much faster than $375 million.

Russix

Post Number: 147
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I received an email from an URS project manager:

"We are currently putting together our application to enter into preliminary engineering. This will allow us to further the design of the LRT system on Woodward Avenue. Additionally, at this time we are preparing an environmental impact statement and shortly we will be having some public meetings for everyone to participate in the LRT planning process. The dates of those meetings are being finalized right now.

Finally, we will be having a downtown alignment public open house on Tuesday, November 18th to show a couple of options for the LRT route in downtown and to get your comments. There will be an afternoon meeting at the Guardian Building and an evening meeting at the YMCA on Broadway in downtown.

We hope that you can join us for all of these meetings.

Please continue to support us. We appreciate it.

Thanks again."

Guess we will have to wait till Nov. 18th to find out. A final thought on this TRAIL plan, they want to build it without any public input, but they want to hold the rights to advertising and station naming, and they want the public to pay for its operation. Isn't that taxation without representation?

Novine

Post Number: 828
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Light-rail can turn into money train
Homes near light-rail lines tend to increase in value
http://www.denverpost.com/news /ci_10850014

Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 390
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a rticle/20081114/FREE/811149966

yes, from the other thread. But this seemed like an appropriate thread too!

From that article:
"There are currently two Woodward transit plans, one a privately funded $103 million project and the other a $372 million proposal by the Detroit Department of Transportation, that are expected to merge in 2009."

THANK GOD!

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2205
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 5:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd,

That sounds pretty discriminatory and illegal, doesn't it?

Change what I said to "Metro Detroit". Even if that was true, we are talking about some higher income areas getting better transit too. Beyond auto insurance, auto fatalities, drunk driving, and crashes in general should be greatly reduced (or so it appears on the surface).

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 540
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the video that was shown on transit at the last SEMCOG meeting.

http://www.semcog.org/GetOnBoa rd.aspx

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.