Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Ghost bike on Woodward « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1831
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A hit-and-run death in Royal Oak brings a ghost bike for all to see

By BILL MCGRAW • MOTOR CITY JOURNAL • September 26, 2008

Spotted Thursday south of 12 Mile and Woodward in Royal Oak: One ghost bike -- perhaps the first one in Michigan.

The icons of a loosely organized worldwide movement, ghost bikes are stark memorials to bicyclists who have died in encounters on city streets with motor vehicles.

In Royal Oak, the ghost bike is an old mountain bike, painted white, which is locked to the Linwood and Woodward street-sign pole. It memorializes the Sept. 19 death of 40-year-old Jacqueline Robinson of Detroit in a hit-and-run accident.

A plaque attached to the bike carries her name and the date of her death.

Robinson, riding northbound about 1:30 a.m., was dragged more than 100 feet, and police are searching for a 2008 white Jeep Liberty.

Ghost bikes began appearing in St. Louis in 2003, and the movement has spread to cities from São Paulo, Brazil, to New York, where there are 47 ghost bikes across five boroughs, said Leah Todd, a volunteer with the New York City Street Memorial Project.

"Ghost bikes happen in many different forms," depending on the city, she said.

No one has taken credit for the Royal Oak ghost bike, though someone faxed an anonymous, handwritten press release to the Free Press.

"Our roads are meant to be shared," it said.

Contact BILL McGRAW at bmcgraw@freepress.com.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080926/COL27/8 09260362

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14214
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Powerful.

I'm all for 'em.

Hope to never see another.

Gannon

Post Number: 14215
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought they should leave totalled cars in place, at least at common places for car wrecks like that stretch of US-23 ten miles south of Flint where the SUVs always overturn, or I-94 west of Ann Arbor where ALL the semi-trucks smash into each other...as a stern warning to others.

Move 'em off to the side...and let THEM be the warning.

Hairybackjoe
Username: Hairybackjoe

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

unsightly litter. there are better ways to memorialize/educate someone without forcing your message down everyone's throat.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 686
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then don't look at it

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 418
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People lock bikes up all the time along roads. I hardly think doing this with one painted white is forcing a message down peoples throats.

I think there needs to be more biker awareness. I ride about 15-20 miles a day around town and to work and its ridiculous how unaware people are of bikers. If this effort makes one person more conscious then its a success and worth it.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5252
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, but this biker was nuts - on Woodward at 1:30 a.m., most likely unlit and unhelmeted. It was a bad choice when alternatives were available.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 687
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, blame the victim.
Bad choice of the driver to get behind the wheel after drinking, hit the biker, drag her 100 feet and continue driving when alternatives were available.

Planner_dude
Username: Planner_dude

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good short term project

Unfortunately, being in the public ROW, I don't see it staying very long...the City will probably cut the lock after a week or two.

Maybe LMB or another org can look at creating bike statues that could be permanent art with a clear message?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Yep, blame the victim.
Bad choice of the driver to get behind the wheel after drinking, hit the biker, drag her 100 feet and continue driving when alternatives were available."

The problem is that when you're on a bike you're going to lose in a battle with a car whether the driver is drunk or not. For that reason you need to take extra precautions.

I agree with Lilpup. Driving on Woodward just before the bars were about to close wasn't smart.
It's possible that with the limited amount of traffic at that time of night that she wasn't as aware as she should have been about staying close to the curb.

Drivers need to be more aware of cyclists, but many people on bikes need to be a lot smarter also.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5255
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody who tries to ride solo in Woodward north of McNichols is an idiot, legal or not.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 419
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there are a lot of assumptions being made here. One, that she was unlit... we really dont know. Two, where does it say that she wasnt on the sidewalk? All I see is that it says riding northbound. I ride at night to get home from work. Im lit up like a christmas tree and stay on the sidewalks. Ive still almost been hit countless times at crosswalks when Ive had the right of way.

More times then not bikers are well aware of there surroundings because they have to be in order to ride safely. This especially holds true at night which is why i find it hard to believe that this person would be riding in the street at 1:30 am when a sidewalk is available.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 2066
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, if you were riding your bike on the sidewalk, you are probably breaking the law. Biking on sidewalks is extremely dangerous at intersections.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 968
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another assumption: Who said the driver was drunk? The driver hasn't even been identified or located.

Gannon

Post Number: 14228
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a law worth breaking then.

We went over this on the bike thread a few months ago.

Biking into an intersection from either the street or sidewalk is dangerous, Focus, but blind driveways are THE worst.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Two, where does it say that she wasnt on the sidewalk?"

I first read about this form another news source and it mentioned that she was riding in the curbside lane.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 400
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see the point of speculating on who was where in what condition. Obviously the driver took off, so we don't have to speculate that the driver is a doofus.

Legal or not, intersections and blind driveways are clearly more dangerous if you are on the sidewalk. Drivers aren't looking for things moving as fast as bicycles until they get to the curb. I won't ride on a sidewalk unless I have a specific reason and I know the street really well, and even then I get surprised sometimes. In general, streets are much safer.

On the other hand, I would probably be inclined to avoid Woodward. It isn't a good street for cycling along most of its length, and there are lots of alternatives--but sometimes the diagonal is enticing.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1836
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mom had no choice but to bike at night

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080930/COL27/8 09300337

Gannon

Post Number: 14321
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the followup, E.

Mw, It is all about momentum and being alert...if one is a bicyclist who just wants to charge along merrily as fast as possible, then you may be right. I would rather bike a little slower, and keep my eyes and ears wide open.

IF you follow the law to the letter, going with the flow with your BACK to traffic, IN TIMES OF LOW TRAFFIC FLOW and when drivers most certainly don't expect to encounter two-wheeled locomotion devices, then you will never know what hit you.

And, in my direct experience, you give troublemakers time to decide to come upon you and mess with you...with little chance of avoiding the encounter...since a motorized vehicle filled with bodies has all the benefits in these instances.

IF you ride against the flow of traffic, again ONLY DURING LOW TRAFFIC HOURS and especially at night, then if you encounter troublemakers, they will NOT have enough time to identify the quality of your bike...whether you are carrying a bag or wearing a backpack...or even, since the passing is usually so quick, what race or gender you are.

Then, as to the road/sidewalk connundrum...between the momentum of a moving vehicle that weighs at least a ton, and a bike with rider that might be a tenth of that...thanks, but I'll take my chances on the dangerous sidewalk and make certain pedestrians hear me coming up behind them.

I usually talk to everyone I cross paths with in some way, shape, or form...this has led to some very unusual and VERY pleasant discussions, and only three negative ones that I can remember in the past TWO YEARS of riding something like two thousand miles or more. (now that I think about it, it has been an amazing and lovely two-wheeled adventure)

It is my choice, we discussed this earlier...and I finally got a flashing light for the REAR ONLY of my bike...and carry a flashlight for the front.

Just got a great idea, though, if I can fabricate a mount for my five-d-cell maglight on the front that can detach quickly as a defensive weapon...I might have the city biking accessory of my dreams.

Put a weaponized pepper spray on the light end for dog packs and similar humans...and I'm a happy guy. I'll get to work on that this weekend.

Cheers, and thanks for the inspiration over this cup o' espresso!

Sincerely,
John

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2134
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Riding against the flow of traffic is both illegal and more dangerous.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 2071
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I had to do what she did, I would ride in the road, Livernois to 9 Mile to Scotia, to wherever her final destination was in the vicinity of 12 Mile. That takes you very little out of your way, only about an extra 0.9 miles. Riding on Woodward up there is just...not smart.

And Gannon, the danger on the sidewalks isn't from pedestrians! It's from cars who aren't expecting something on the sidewalk to be moving 20mph and pull/turn in front of you. You're much safer on the road, Woodward notwithstanding. Bikers should avoid Woodward at all costs. I would never consider biking on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago, not in a million years.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 697
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodward is four lanes wide and carries an insignificant amount of traffic during the morning hours when the victim was hit. It can be a very smart biking choice.

According to a 2004 traffic count, northbound Woodward south of 12 Mile carried just 140 cars from 1am until 2am -- or 2.33 cars per minute spread across four lanes. And in speaking with MDOT officials, I know Woodward traffic levels have dropped since 2004.

This very low traffic volume probably explains why there were no witnesses to the crime.

And unlike many other roads, Woodward is well lit at night.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 2072
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And those 2.33 cars per minute are going 55mph and not expecting bikers. I'll take my chances on the "dangerous" side roads.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 698
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And those 2.33 cars per minute are going 55mph and not expecting bikers. I'll take my chances on the "dangerous" side roads.

Living at 12 Mile and Woodward, I can vouch for the diligent and noticeable police presence on this stretch of road at those hours. There's usually a car pulled over and that does wonders for keeping the speeds at or the below posted limits.

And at 1:30 AM no one is expecting bicyclists on any roads.

Feel free to chose whatever route you prefer, but the numbers clearly show that Woodward in the early morning hours is a good choice for the rest of us.

(Message edited by fishtoes2000 on September 30, 2008)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4709
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mom had no choice but to bike at night

Article said she had no car, but what about riding the bus?

Focusonthed

Post Number: 2073
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think there are many bus options for someone trying to get from SW Detroit to Royal Oak at 2am. And by "not many" I mean none.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 220
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A woman was tragically killed riding a bike at night and now a group of genius's debate the outcome.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6738
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sorry, but this biker was nuts - on Woodward at 1:30 a.m., most likely unlit and unhelmeted. It was a bad choice when alternatives were available.

Seriously, are you a moron? I guess I missed the part where it said she had no lights or helmet. Why should there have to be an alternative to a bike?

The rest of the civilized world can co-exist with bicycles.

Un-fucking-believeable.

(Message edited by aiw on September 30, 2008)

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 737
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gannon..bring your maglite & your bike to the softball game tomorrow.
I'm a fabricatin' fool, I'd be more than happy to build up a mount for ya. I just need to see the application and take some measurements first.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 2022
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And duct tape. Don't forget the duct tape.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 738
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't do duct tape..I'm more the "hand-milled polished aluminum artwork that you're ashamed to attach to your lowly vehicle" kinda guy.
:-)
I've got some 1/4" T6 scrap stock laying around from the last motor plate I cut out that should do the job nicely.

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. My prayers and condolences are with her family. My first response was the typical "Why was she riding a bike near a very busy area at 1:30AM?" but after reading the article, I understand now. She lost her life while on her way to help someone else. She sounds like a mother who did whatever it took to take care of her kids. I'm familiar with the area in which she lived as well as where she was going and that's one heck of a bike ride.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 345
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A different rider, another ghost bike, removed by the family.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20081003/COL 27/810030362

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 743
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay..so, lets see. Two bicyclists dead.
What are the common denominators?
1. Riding against traffic.
2. Riding at night.

Here's my two cents..as a driver, I see a LOT of bikes on the road. I'd guesstimate that perhaps four out of ten are equipped with rear reflectors, and maybe one out of a hundred with a front reflector.
Add in the fact that even if a bike IS equipped with a front reflector, they're typically mounted to the steering stem, which means they're moving with the handlebars and not providing a steady reflection to any given point.

Yeah, it is tragic that these two people have lost their lives. But at some point the finger-pointers have GOT to realize that at least a portion of the blame for their deaths lies on the victims.
When you take risks, bad things can happen to you.
Ride WITH traffic, and keep that nice red reflector on your ass clean..wear some light-colored clothing..invest in a set of lights, dirt-cheap at any department store.
Or, you can wait around until you're dead and let someone else invest in a "ghost bike."

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 699
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royal Oak Police reported the one victim was riding north on Woodward with traffic and not riding against traffic.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 744
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not in the reports I've seen, they say "assumed" to be riding northbound..
However, she was supposed to be riding south towards her home, and the accident scene was south of her departure point.

Think about it.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 2002
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And at 1:30 AM no one is expecting bicyclists on any roads. "

I've seen people out riding @ 5 am during a snowstorm. With this economy you can expect to see more of this.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 428
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =62yWU4ryrgI&feature=related

A white bicycle was ridden by Albert Hoffman on his fateful day when he accidently dosed himself with LSD-25 and the world around him was never the same.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 700
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Not in the reports I've seen, they say "assumed" to be riding northbound

What reports state that assumption? According to the Freep article "Royal Oak police say Robinson was struck while riding northbound on Woodward." I'm not going assume or speculate anything different until I hear it from those who performed the accident investigation.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 745
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fact that there are no witnesses to the event and that the woman and her bicycle were dragged 100+ feet from the point of impact leads me to believe that ANY assessment of the incident is an assumption on the police dept's part.

However, the statement below is what led to my comment.

From an article in C&G News online:

"At about 1:30 a.m. on Sept. 19, it’s believed that Robinson was riding her bicycle northbound in the curbside lane.."

(Bold highlight is mine. Sorry..thought "believed" was "assumed" in the quoted article.)

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 701
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep in mind that the police likely examined the bicycle, which may indicate how it was initially struck. The lack of witnesses (and the driver not coming forward) is disappointing because either could clear up just what happened.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 704
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Detroit Free Press:

ROYAL OAK: Fund created for boys who lost mom

A fund has been established for the two young children whose mother, Jacqueline Robinson, was killed by a hit-and-run driver as she rode her bike on Woodward Avenue Sept. 19.

Donations can be made in the name of Robinson's mother, Judith Parent, who is caring for the boys. The address is Bank of America, 28746 Woodward, Royal Oak 48067. The bank is next to the site where Robinson died. Police are seeking a 2008 white Jeep Liberty.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 742
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've posted updated information about the hit-and-run crash investigation on Woodward that killed a cyclist.

Thanks to the Royal Oak Police and their persistent investigative efforts.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6819
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news!

Thanks for the update.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 771
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is sick that this woman would hit someone on a bike, and the next day intentionally crash into another car so she could hide the fact that she had run someone over.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 277
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is "good news" that the RO police did not give up on the case.

It is disheartening that the driver of the vehicle that has been accused of this hit and run appears to have made an effort to "cover it up".

In a question that is somewhat related whatever happened to the investigation of the murder committed on the eve of the Superbowl a few years ago? Don't kid yourself, there are members of the community that know who committed that crime.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 743
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Free Press is running a story on this hit-and-run as well.
http://www.freep.com/article/2 0081129/NEWS03/811290312/1005

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9405
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope the family will have some measure of closure with this arrest. As far as the ghost bike there at that intersection- I guess I would have to ask how long is it supposed to remain there? After reading Evelyn's posted article about how that particular family removed their ghost bike memorial to honor their son, who has the responsibility for these things? I guess I'm new to this phenomenon and not sure what is the correct course of action to take. Are they supposed to be removed after the driver is caught? Are the bikes to be removed only by the families themselves? Are the bikes supposed to remain in place to remind other people of how dangerous that intersection could be?

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 744
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The related video on ClickonDetroit talks a little about the ghost bike, the family's viewpoint (they support it), and the polices'.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/18165293/detail.html

Smogboy

Post Number: 9407
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since doing a little research I found this site:

http://www.ghostbikes.org/

which details some of the other ghost bikes worldwide and some more information about this cause.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 749
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just posted this on www.m-bike.org:

The ghost bike on Woodward in Royal Oak has been removed — and for the right reasons.

The removal was not unexpected. Royal Oak Police expressed interest in keeping it there in hopes that it would help with their investigation. It could serve as a reminder to driver’s with additional helpful information to contact the police.

Now that the investigation has led to an arrest, that reminder is no longer needed.

However, the Bank of America (where the ghost bike was located) is still collecting monetary donations to a fund for the victim’s two boys. Donations should be made in the name of Robinson’s mother, Judith Parent, who is caring for the boys. The address is Bank of America, 28746 Woodward, Royal Oak 48067.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9497
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that's awfully generous on the part of Bank of America. Great news to report on there, Fishtoes2000. I also agree that it was probably time to take down the ghost bike. It's served its purpose. I don't think its intent was to be a permanent marker/ tribute to the mom that was killed there. I hope the family can come to some sort of closure over this tragedy now.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand the hurry to take it down.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9521
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was my original question, Macknwarren. How long is too long? But seeing as how there's been some measure of resolution (the arrest of the driver), I can see the logic in taking it down. But I'd probably leave it up to the family of the person the tragedy it affected as to the duration. I'd leave it at their discretion.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.