Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » DIA's 'Monet to Dali' exhibit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ericsprague
Username: Ericsprague

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some positive news to balance things out a bit...

DIA's 'Monet to Dali' exhibit starts Sunday

It's a modern-art tour even your Manhattan friends might envy.

From Sunday through Jan. 18, the Detroit Institute of Arts will host "Monet to Dali: Modern Masters from the Cleveland Museum of Art," a breathtaking show of 75 works, every one of which seems to have leaped right off the pages of your college art-history textbook.

In a year of dazzling exhibitions following the DIA's reopening last Thanksgiving, "Monet to Dali" is hands-down the most magnificent.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20081008/E NT05/810080397

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2835
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Bump.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 187
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will go soon. Went to the DIA late summer, and was lost! Had to get a map. It has changed, probably for the better. DIA is always a good way to spend a day.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was disappointed, though I still recommend going to support the DIA and to check out Dali's "The Dream," which is jaw-dropping in person. But for having Dali's name in the title, the exhibit was pretty skimpy on the Dali.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6839
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dream

The Dream

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the wrong "Dream."

This is "The Dream" on display:
http://z.about.com/d/cleveland /1/0/d/5/-/-/revecma.jpg

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enjoyed a trip back to the D with my daughters and niece last month. Went to the DIA - fabulous! Walked until our feet hurt! Also visited the Detroit Historial Museum - loved it - brought back childhood memories of school trips. The D looked great and we enjoyed our trip tremendously.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3070
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave and I went to see this exhibit today with our son and his girlfriend. I truly enjoyed Monet to Dali...with a great variety of painters represented (heavier on the Impressionists than the Surrealists and Cubists). Also enjoyed the Rodin sculptures. Recommended.

Cleveland is lucky to have this wonderful collection of art of this time period!!

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 192
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monet and the impressionists are all right by me. Dali would be more appropriate in another exhibit, but this is definitely not a complaint. Just a comment.
Let's all support the DIA!

English
Username: English

Post Number: 846
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw it during the members' preview.

It was pretty good, but not my favorite special exhibit... I prefer those where one artist or one period is featured. To date my favorites this decade were Jacob Lawrence and "Degas and the Dance" Since my art education was woefully lacking, I feel as if I learn more that way.

I thought it was funny because there was more Picasso and Rodin in the show than either Monet or Dali. :-)

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 338
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the exhibit last weekend, and I thought it was a great collection. There are some very impressive works. I think it shows a clear development from the Romantics through Impressionism to Surrealism. It is well worth a visit.

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 250
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the Dali Museum in St. Pete a few years back. Was walking through right behind a lady with a 4 year old son. She was explaining the symbolism in the art to him and pointing out details that I was missing. So, I tagged along and had a personal tour along with the kid as she explained each painting and I learned a great deal. Very impressive and dramatic museum.

When we got to Dali's Clocks, she explained how they looked like eggs oozing off a surface. She asked her son what he thought of this symbolism. He studied the large painting in front of us for about a minute and then replied, "Mom, I don't think I'm hungry any more!"

I almost fell over laughing then and I still get tears in my eyes laughing now when thinking of that moment. I like Dali and think that the kid's reply was so honest. Seemed to fit the art completely.

It's always fun when you can leave a museum laughing.

Hubbardfarmer
Username: Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a great story, Peachlaser! I can't wait to check out the M to D exhibit myself. I'm sorry to hear that the DIA is struggling so badly. It's a national treasure right here in our city. I think what they've done with the renovation is fabulous.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 269
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The picture shown is called Sleep. I use it as my desktop wallpaper.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 744
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hubbardfarmer, Who said that the DIA is struggling so badly?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They lost 18 million last year - but attendance was up 45%.... The renovations have been a hit, but they've got to control costs and find a way to add some revenue

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice! A day at the DIA is long overdue for the wife and I

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9108
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you think, did Monet have bad cataracts and actually see things that way, or is it just myth?

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so looking forward to going for my birthday, day after Christmas. :-) If you have an Entertainment book there are buy one get one free admission coupons. And we have a gift card for dinner at a nice place in Royal Oak - so it will be a nice but cheap birthday day, I can hardly wait, I've wanted to go since they finished the remodel!!!

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went and seen it last Friday, I thought it was very impressive. I do not like art, but I still like going to the DIA. My favorite painting of the exhibit was the "real life" it was very plain with a stage and clouds.

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where the heck do you park when you go to the DIA? I haven't been there since I was a kid but I'm taking the girlfriend there today. Do you turn east on Kirby or Farnsworth and park somewhere behind it. I was going to take Woodward but is it easier to access it from John R?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5498
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Street parking is abundant on the side-streets within a block of Woodward e.g. Putnam, Farnsworth, Kirby, Ferry, Palmer. Also along John R., and, usually it's not hard to get a Woodward spot when Wayne State is not in session.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3106
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or if you have any worries about your car on the street, depending on the time of day or evening, there is a public parking lot accessible off John R between Frederick and Farnsworth. Cost is $5, maybe less.

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay thanks, just wondering if there was a main parking lot? Maybe we'll check out some of the mansions on Ferry Street first.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 345
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can park in the underground garage on Farnsworth. The garage was closed during renovations, but I used it last week. You enter by the ramp in the median on the Woodward end of the block. Very convenient... the stairs come up right by the Farnsworth entrance to the museum, where the museum shop, elevators, and coat check are. I think it was three bucks, but it may have been more.

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For $8.00 you can valet park, just drive up to the Farnsworth entrance.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.