Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Former Studebaker Site « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 377
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has been a lot of activity on the former Piquette Avenue Studebaker site. I remember that last fall there was talk about a homeless shelter being built on the site, but I have never been able to find any results about the public hearing concerning the re-development of the grounds. Early last weeks, crews dug up and removed several giant old and rusty gas tanks. I initially thought that the tanks were being removed for environmental concerns and that construction would stop after they were removed, but crews have continued leveling and preparing the east end of the block for construction. So, does anybody have the inside scoop about what's in the works for the old factory grounds? With the T-plex facade now fully renovated, and work going on at the Fisher plant, this is an amazing surge of development for the area.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 717
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is, and I'm very excited about this development. Btw, the T-PLEX facade looks wonderful!

Strathcona
Username: Strathcona

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So they are building a homeless shelter? Why?

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 413
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stud

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 720
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's slated to be a veteran's homeless apartments or something like it.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 721
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.swsol.org/downloads /piquetterelease.pdf

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 340
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, why would they build a homeless shelter? There aren't that many homeless people in Detroit.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 874
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its not for the homeless, its for disabeled veterans

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 646
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's going on at Fisher Body, besides loads of scrappers and explorers breaking in daily?

Detroitderek
Username: Detroitderek

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering that too. There were guys in hazmat suits there yesterday.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6454
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're being tongue-in-cheek, right, Hans?

Anyway, I'm surprised how tall (4-stories) it will be and the material (brick). So often, things get torn down in the city and replaced by two-bit, vinyl-sided townhomes. Hopefully, the usage (homeless vet housing) will be successful.

Are there other notable examples of Southwest Solutions work in the city?

EDIT: Actually, upon seeing the rendering, it's not much better than what I described above:

Piquette Square

(Message edited by lmichigan on November 26, 2008)

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a few questions about that area. Am I correct in thinking the lot on Piquette between John R and Brush is the former site of the Studebaker plant? What is/was the blue building due east that's connected to the Piquette Ford plant is says 411 Piquette outside. Was that a later addition to the original 1904 Ford plant? Also what was the large factory type building east of the Ford Piquette plant, the brick building that spans from Beaubien to the foot of St. Antoine?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3596
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The blue building is the medical records warehouse. The lot across was Piquette Market on the corner, and that whole block at one time was Studebaker.

I believe all the additions were to Studebaker, and none to Ford Piquette. Pretty sure Studebaker extended all the way to Ford Piquette. Not positive on that tho.

Mauser765

Post Number: 3597
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would rather that site be a veterans facility than the lofts originally planned. Sad to lose that Studebaker facade tho.

Mauser765

Post Number: 3598
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres shots of the site after the fire from on top of F21.

http://detroitfunk.com/?p=145

Bcscott

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford sold the Piquette plant to Studebaker in 1910 just before the move to Highland park. So, the medical records warehouse was part of the Studebaker plant? 411 Piquette used to have a sign that read Ford's first Property, that's what had me confused. Anybody know what that giant brick building is east of the Ford plant on the same side of the street.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3103
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the block east of the Piquette Ford Model T plant on the north side of the street is a former Regal automobile plant.

55packardconv
Username: 55packardconv

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The brick building east of Ford Piquette is GM's former Detroit Truck Chassis plant, which originally started out as a Fisher Body plant.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 560
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kathleen,

Did the Regal plant make finished cars, or was it a body/parts supplier? When I was looking through my photos from my last trip recently, I looked at that plant and remembered you said it was a Regal Plant. But when I searched on Google, I found no hits for Regal cars. So I figured it might have been a body or parts manufacturer.

Bcscott

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were two Fisher plants on the same street? I think Fisher 21 started out around 1910 stamping out Cadillac bodies. I'm curious about the Regal plant, I've never heard of it. How long has it been around?

Cman710

Post Number: 562
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK. I did some research.

On Ebay, I was able to find an old 1915 ad from Regal Motor Car Company, which was located at 601 Piquette, which is the address of the Regal plant. So it was a Regal Motor Car plant as of then. (Charles Lambert, the President of Regal, lived at 611 Boston Boulevard, in Boston-Edison.)

In this thread, Hornwrecker posted a picture of the Regal plant, and it seems like it operated from 1907-1920.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/60114.html?11320259 20

I have also seen the site labeled Fisher Body 23. Perhaps once Regal went out of business, was sold, or whatever, Fisher Body purchased.

Kathleen

Post Number: 3111
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job, Cman710!! I hadn't gotten around to pulling out my notes from the Auto Heritage walking tour I took a few years back. And you made a Boston-Edison connection too (of which I will make a note)!!

The Regal plant is on the north side of the street; opposite on the south side of the street is an empty lot. Fisher Body 23 is on the south side of the street one block further east.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 986
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone is interested in the Automotive Heritage tour, tours begin again in the spring. ;-) You'd be amazed at the number of automobile companies that were once packed in that small section of the city.

Autocar was across the street from Studebaker on the South side of Piquette.

Kathleen

Post Number: 3113
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm definitely planning on taking the Auto Heritage tour during the '09 season. It sounds as if it has changed in scope and depth since I last took it some 3-4 seasons back.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 990
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we're adding a couple of buildings along with John's amazing history. I'm so honored to be a part of this tour.

Cman710

Post Number: 563
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Lodgedodger, that sounds great. I am from out of town, but if I can manage to make it to Detroit from Boston when one of the auto heritage tours is going, I'd be thrilled to go on it. It seems like it would be fascinating. I love that Piquette area.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 991
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well then, DO let me know when you're in town! It's a lot of fun.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.