Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Eph McNally's Questions and More « Previous Next »
Archive through October 21, 2008Gannon30 10-21-08  2:03 pm
Archive through October 23, 2008Downtown_lady30 10-23-08  5:39 pm
Archive through October 24, 20081kielsondrive30 10-24-08  11:51 pm
Archive through October 29, 2008Ashdetroit30 10-29-08  12:09 pm
Archive through October 31, 2008Haikoont27 10-31-08  2:15 pm
Archive through November 12, 2008Long_in_the_tooth30 11-12-08  12:47 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14795
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Long,

I'll give you a 100% discount on a glass of water if you produce that relic! Free refills, too. (actually, your first pint next door will be on me! I cannot believe you kept your DREAD card...)

Atwater, sorry for the oversight, I ran with the TA correction and forgot the other. No Discover or AMEX, though, only MC and Visa.

Detsfb and Bike4, it was fun talking with you and your partners, and I look forward to the next time! No worries, the eleven to eleven for seven schedule will continue for a few months as a recognition pattern is established in our neighbors and admirers...and as of last night it seems a serious downtown business development thinktank will be forming around the coffee pot on those late nights, something Erikd and I were fantasizing about only a month ago!

I realized last night that being at Eph's is part of the overall trajectory of my life experience, building towards a MUCH larger goal of improving what we can reach in this city...but my motivation has been purely to help out a good friend in a crisis.

I'm not going to continue this thread after this post, and now that I'm WITH the organization...three weeks ago I decided to give Histeric three months of my life to help make this thing happen...starting another thread will be VERY close to advertising, which is a no-no on the forum. I don't want to abuse Lowell's graciousness towards two longtime forum members.

Anyone else can feel free to start one, though, and we will do our best to answer questions, accept suggestions, and solve complaints...but after our website is running we will move that discussion to ONE location where we can more easily track the conversation. As some might notice, I'm NOT spending nearly as much time here any longer.

Cheers, I've got to get to work...

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 313
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Cool! We definitely Will be calling/stopping in then.

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 314
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Well... Stopped by and had a corned beef..., I'm still searching for the elusive maxies/lefkokskys sandwich, but the place serves a purpose, BTW Gannon, You definitely are working hard/making a difference, But the other paperweight at the counter, And I assume He's the center of the above controversy,Well, I can see why.

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 315
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I'll take #1 both in the dictionary and on the menu.

Gannon

Post Number: 14801
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll break my vow on this thread...well...because I feel I have to, after reading Living's post.

I told the 'paperweight' to stay home this morning.

He's been suffering a major flu for almost a week now, and today sounded worse than I've ever heard him. The stresses he's been under have done a number on his immune system.

He didn't listen...

Haikoont
Username: Haikoont

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for alerting the public to the fact that a restaurant employee -- who handles patrons' food and money -- has been sick for days. Glad I didn't make it in. Seriously dude, you need to take your own advice and stop posting on this thread.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 773
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll have the acute coryza on rye, hold the post-nasal drip please!

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 348
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez. I'm freaking speechless. You might avail yourself of that little X icon on your post.

Gannon

Post Number: 14803
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever...everyone I know got that harsh cold or flu or whatever it was...it even felled me for a few days over the weekend.

You're right, if you have a challenged immune system or an acute sense of some alternate reality where people don't go into the office on some daytime cold medicine...I'd suggest you only use our delivery, they only use the back kitchen.

We'll deliver it to your airlock in forty-five minutes or less. Disinfectant is extra.

Eat at Eph's, if you Ephin' dare!

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2187
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Inbox?

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 444
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You're right, if you have a challenged immune system or an acute sense of some alternate reality where people don't go into the office on some daytime cold medicine...I'd suggest you only use our delivery, they only use the back kitchen."

Way to blame the victim, you winner. Maybe you should offer a free flu-shot, a Vitamin C pill and some Theraflu with every sandwich. It could be your version of a combo meal, something to differentiate you from the competition and create that new, revolutionary business attraction program that you discuss with your brain trust over late-night coffee.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 150
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon never wrote that the owner was handling food. You are making assumptions. Whether you agree with it or not, many people find themselves HAVING to go to work when they are sick. It's a crappy fact of life, especially when you are a business owner.

Oh, good luck at Subway! I'm sure nobody working there has ever come to work sick.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2414
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'll break my vow on this thread...

the most verbose member of this forum, having a hard time keeping it to himself? whooda thunk it :-)

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 445
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not MERELY an employee?

Gannon

Post Number: 14806
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pile ON! Heya Ragged, I'm pretty sure you won't be missed...and the multiple personalities behind Registered Guest will be fine dining with you at Subway and enjoying it...with all of their robotic employees who cannot get sick, ever. Heh.

We, however, DO only employ mere humans for the tasks...and have sent home those who arrive sick unless they are in positions that cannot be replaced. Histeric spent the day at home today now that he knows there are two who can fill his shoes, and he says a hearty thanks to all of those who have been SO concerned with his health...especially Ragged and Registered and the rest of y'all for making it such a big deal.

He IS the endearing bastard who occasionally feels he needs to do EVERYTHING, but only when those he delegated to let him down.

Got anything with any validity to it to fling around, or is there no solid stuff to back up your verbal farting?! Didn't think so...but it sure feels good to let it go, I know.

Keep going to Subway, and when you want the upscale version, try Jimmy John's...and in a pinch, there are always the Coney's.

You have a W-I-D-E and vast range of options for your dining in the downtown area, we hope that you investigate them all and find at least one to your liking.

Cheers!

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^^
Exactly!! I'm going to enjoy my #57 now!!

Stromberg2

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 959
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My goodness. This thread sure has brought out the best in a number of "random" folks.

To the thinking individuals who have read the thread, and don't have a personal agenda, it should be quite clear that the reason for the paperweight insult was that on the day of LinthD's visit, I was only observing the days activity and the result of recent trainings, and not handling food or money.

So, I guess there is no winning with some folks. I am either a lazy paperweight or a workaholic, irresponsible germ spreader? Both cannot be true and, of course, neither is true. But I must say that nothing surprises me anymore. There are entire threads on the anti Detroityes site that are devoted to personal attacks against members of this forum, including Gannon and Lowell, who are most loving and wonderful human beings. This is our Detroit. Hating seems to have become a popular past time in this town. It really is a shame.

Histeric

Post Number: 960
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What cavalier attitude would that be Raggedclaws? We have one of the cleanest and sanitary kitchens in Detroit and we have passed EVERY health department inspection with flying colors. To insinuate that anything else is taking place seems to me, to be the real "cavalier" attitude...not to mention the insults thrown at food service employees. I have some very bright students from CCS and WSU who work in the restaurant. Who the hell do you think you are commenting about where they fall in their respective graduating classes?

(Message edited by histeric on November 13, 2008)

Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 318
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, H, It seems My partner also came in after Me, And ordered a take-out, Gannon took his order quite nicely and respectfully, then from what I understand, You took over abruptly, Stared at him glassy eyed and Asked quote" You got a name" What ever happened to " Hi, What name do want on this order, Or What"s Your name Sir? Bear in mind, When He related this to the crew here, You guys got the benefit of the doubt being new. So take it the way You want it, But being hard core Detroiters, We have eaten at all the major and minor joints in the city and will continue to do so for a very long time to come, So a little civility and respect go a long way.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just had the dublin there last night. it was a great sandwich. Size was not all that large (good value large, not large for the sake of being large) and the price of $8 is not so bad as the sandwich was much better than a $5 sub from subway. The new menu looks much better and better organized. Overall the place looked much more easier to eat at. Good job Gannon and Histeric, I look forward to trying something else there.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 534
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question: I was in there tonight with my father around 4:30. What forum members were working? Was it the owners that I encountered? And the little kid working in Eph's is a great kid.

We both had the Mable Clark. An amazing sandwich! It was my first time at Eph's and I will be back very soon. Maybe within the next week. My dad's only complaint was that you were out of roast beef. HAHA!

(Message edited by rbdetsport on November 23, 2008)

Stromberg2

Post Number: 145
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in there as a customer about that time, talking with Histeric the owner and his son, the cool kid who was helping out, and of course, Master deli man, our Gannon.

Stromberg2, thanks again for the great food and conversation!

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 535
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you were the guy with the glasses sitting with a woman next to me. Right? The guy with the longer hair is Histeric then? And Gannon is the guy who was on the computer, right? What are all these peoples names so next time I come in I can start conversation?

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 386
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

larry, moe and curly, nggh, nggh..........

Histeric

Post Number: 961
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the kind words Mike.

Actually Rbdetsport, the guy with the glasses was a third forumer...so it looks like the forum contributed to making Sundays worth opening the doors today. Thank you.

As for running out of items on the menu, it is one of the most frustrating issues with the business as it currently exists. Part of it comes from the fact that many items are prepared fresh, on a daily basis (and our cook showed up five hours late today, at 5), and part is simply the limitations of a small walk-in cooler. I hope to have an additional walk-in installed by next summer so I can store enough back stock to soften the hits from "runs" on particular items (we got hit on Friday night for the tree lighting). It is all a matter of time or money...both of which are in short supply these days. But I am glad you both enjoyed our #16 and look forward to your return.

Gannon has the longer hair and that is his name. I set up my "office" at the corner table in the evenings and weekends. Feel free to strike up a conversation, although Gannon likes talking a lot more than I usually do;) BTW - The name is Scott and the cool kid is my son Christian.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the guy with the glasses was me, the lady was my girlfriend. thanks for the food, both the sandwiches and the pickles were great.

p.s. the kid was cute.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2285
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raggedclaw, you live in Detroit!? Wow!

I say wow, because just about every single time a new Downtown business is announced, posted, or talked about, you have something negative to say about them.

I find it hard to believe that you are in Detroit by choice.

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 536
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHA! I am glad we could all help. I will most likely be in on wednesday evening. See you, Gannon, and Christian then!

Have any suggestions for my next sandwich?

Histeric

Post Number: 962
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Stromberg would recommend the #57, the Pontchartrain. Hot Pastrami and smoked turkey with lettuce, tomato, swiss and russian on our twice baked Rye. See you on Wed...but Christian won't be here. He has cub scout swimming on Wed. He will be here Thursday morning schlepping coffee and hot chocolate for the parade.

Thanks again.

Stromberg2

Post Number: 146
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the shoutout, Histeric!!

Stromberg2, munching on a 57.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3099
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Christian makes one heckuva corned beef sandwich! Dave and I stopped by late one night during the Jazz festival and enjoyed our corned beef on rye!

Drove down a couple weeks back on a Saturday afternoon just for Eph's sandwiches. Saw Mrs. Histeric and Christian that afternoon.

We'll be back!!

Histeric

Post Number: 963
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW - I almost forgot. In preparation for our 11 to 11 delivery service, we launched our online menu. Still needs some work, but as they say, one step at a time.

www.ephsdowntown.com

(Message edited by histeric on November 24, 2008)

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 979
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be back for some of that peach sour cream pie....and a Mayor Maybury lol.

Bike4beer
Username: Bike4beer

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how far will you deliver? looking at that menu made me hungry.

Histeric

Post Number: 964
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

B4B. We are starting with the Grand Blvd loop as our farthest reach...still waiting on the delivery of some print materials and the installation of the separate delivery phone line, and we will officially launch the delivery service. In the meantime, it remains an option on a soft launch, call by call basis.

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

enjoyed my first ephs this evening.

totally hooked.

so nice to meet you, gannon!

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 537
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enjoyed a Pontchartrain #57 with my good friends tonight. It was nice to be back at Eph's, being my second time in 4 days. Good to see you Scott. I think Mrs. Gannon served us?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Histeric

Post Number: 965
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be Mrs. Histeric bro...twenty three years and counting. Thanks for coming in. Were you with a group of young adults who were skating?

We are still open and have had a steady stream of customers who left far more sober than they arrived. Just doing our little part to keep the city a bit safer;)

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 538
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh. Haha. Sorry about that. Yea that was us. Thanks again!

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was there yesterday and had a corned beef and swiss on rye with russian dressing and spicy mustard. i had the mable clark today, and that took everything to a whole new level! my wife had the woodward and ate the whole thing. she is a scant and picky eater, so i know it was good. actually, she saved me one bite. while the ham was delicious, there was something very special about the bread for me - it was pure freshness, with firm and airy texture, with subtly incredible flavor.

my three-year-old daughter shared our sandwiches with great delight, loved the pickles, and dumped her water on the counter. luckily we only let her keep a couple chugs in the cup.

and, i didn't know a certain forum member works next door, but i saw him poke his head in, and i went over to say hi.

thank you mrs. histeric for taking care of us today.

Stromberg2

Post Number: 150
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Just wondering how the new hours are going? Sorry I haven't been able to get by, my hours are terrible. Will be in soon.

Stromberg2

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.