Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Eph McNally's Questions and More » Archive through October 21, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14702
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heya, I know there are a few of y'all who've made it down to Eph McNally's on Woodward since they opened a few years back.

I'd like an honest assessment of their performance...what you have liked, loved, hated, and been marginally annoyed with...the whole kit-n-kaboodle.

Matter of fact, I'd be curious to learn what everyone's favorite sandwich is, and what soup they've liked...if any.

For ME? After discovering their Dublin Garden, I haven't had anything else on their menu. I'm NOT a vegetarian, but this sandwich rocks. PLUS, I've gone on record here to boast on their Gazpacho soup...after trying it eleven times earlier in life, this twelfth time was the charm.

I think their sandwiches have always been too large...and IF they offered a smaller portion for those who simply cannot take the other half home, I'd go for it MOST of the time.

They seem to never have coffee on when I go there...and that pisses me off. I only order it when I need it!

So there...anyone else want to play along?!

(and YES, there is a deeper reason for this...)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the deeper reason?

Gannon

Post Number: 14703
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's just say I want to help out some friends...and maybe I want to prove a point! (yeah I'm being vague here, you're all on a need-to-know basis!)

What're your favorites, and what have you NOT liked...or are you just going to clutter this conversation with questions?

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 137
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dublin Garden is tops. Add some turkey and it's even better.
The service is usually good, even when they're slammed at lunch hour.

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 433
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the Big Mac, with a side of fries and a Coke, super sized. Sometimes, the fries are luke warm, however. Othertimes, they're very dry and covered with too much salt. Sometimes, they don't mix the Coke right, too much syrup.

There was one time where they put too much special sauce on my Big Mac. Can you believe that?

I thought the prices were really high, too. $5.50 for an extra value meal these days? Where's the value?

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haven't been there for a few weeks. Are they featuring their Book-Cadillac this month? They should be. A kind of strange combination that really works: Pastrami, american cheese, mayo and hot sauce on your choice of bread.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2654
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to go every week to the Corktown location when I worked a block away. They'd make a half sandwich for me. My favorite was tuna salad. Also, if they were getting rid of day old bread, that makes the BEST bread pudding ever.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 368
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, I don't know what it is, but I honestly think their corned beef tastes different after the move. I've asked and they assure me they're doing nothing different, but who knows. Psychosomatic, I guess.

Other than that, I'm really not a fan of the fact that I have to pay to park to grab lunch. Before the "that's what happens in cities rabble rabble" pops up, that was honestly a big draw for me at their Porter location and makes the difference when I'm at school or not within walking distance of Campus Martius.

I like the portions because I can take leftovers home to my wife for dinner or a snack. The quality overall seems about the same, service is efficient, but not necessarily extraordinary. My favorite is still the Pingree with a side of Better Made chips.

All said, I think I've gone to Mudgies just as often. Maybe once a month to either place, depending on how much time I have and whether or not I'm interested in buying a $9 sandwich. On that point, the fact that it's a $9 sandwich is the draw- halving the size like Gannon suggests would totally kill it for me. I can just as easily make just about anything they're going to serve in half size and tote it along with me brown bag style.

In the end, I'd have to say Mudgies actually ekes out a win over Eph's. Their portions, prices, and most importantly QUALITY is the same, they're roughly equidistant pretty much wherever I am in the city and I can park for free if I have my car. Kind of a no-brainer.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1770
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I absolutely agree that the sandwiches are too big. They could fix that easily by offering a half sandwich to those of us who want that!

I didn't get coffee either for some reason...grrr.

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Briggs Stadium, stacked corned beef, lettuce and scallion dill on pumpernickel is one of my all time favorites...served warm...(now i'm drooling into my laptop).

I tried the Hammond the other day, Hot pastrami and corned beef with something else. I can't recall because the corned beef was just too damn good.

All of the above with a grape crush I might add.

A minor thing really, given the time, but i went there last Friday, during the tail end of the lunch rush and waited for almost 15 minutes to be even greeted by someone, while waiting to be seated.

The place wasn't even that busy, with some two tops open all over, and i understand a rush is a rush is a rush, but maybe someone to check up on those waiting for a table instead of assuming that there just being super generous and letting everyone order in front of them at the carry-out line.

But other than that, place is tops with me and i'll never stop going.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the sandwiches, but they could use better hours.

I realize the slowing economy is tough on restaurants especially, but Mon-Sat 10:30am-4pm seems like pretty tight hours. I'd go there more if they were open

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 717
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My only complaint is that they don't have baby bottles for all the whiners on this board.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1667
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their intent is to be a lunch place, hence the hours. Those were the same hours roughly as when they were on Porter Street, yes? I miss the old spot, where I discovered Altoids and where we tried to get Connie McConnaghy elected to Council.

They had back then a wonderful meatless sandwich which involved cream cheese and onions and I can't remember what all else. Great after getting our ashes at Most Holy Trinity.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1771
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found out by accident yesterday that Small Plates is closed on Mondays -- showed up with a lunch date only to find the door locked. The guy at Detroit Beer Co. was a little gleeful about it when we went in there for lunch instead. "ohhhh, so your Small Plates is closed and you have to come here?"

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 3091
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

but Mon-Sat 10:30am-4pm seems like pretty tight hours.

They were open longer hours, When they first opened the downtown location. Unfortunately the customers didn't appear for the extra hours. No point in being open, if there aren't any customers.

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The sandwiches are too big." I don't understand ;)

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I don't get the complaint about the sandwiches being too big, for $8 or $9.00 I should get more. They are trying Sunday hours again, so we all need to support this. I don't know how long the trial will last. As to my fave, it would be the #57, turkey and pastrami. Try the bread pudding, also. It's like crack!

I do also go to Mudgies. Mudge is a friend and it really is hard to make just one choice.

Stromberg2

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 301
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I resent their refusal to offer water enough that I'd go more often if they offered it. I also think the full-size sandwiches are overkill. This said, I put up with these things because I've liked every sandwich I've tried.

Gannon

Post Number: 14704
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh

Baby bottles are on order, if anyone has a decent source for 'em?!

Thanks for the feedback...all is cherished. Will be logged and passed upstream for consideration...towards some serious improvements.

Looking at a better coffee machine, and possibly even a kick-ass espresso machine...with earlier hours to take care of those whirly birds...as well as later hours, although those 'might' have limited pre-made sandwiches...something like the top nine or so. This way, the intense special chefs will only be necessary during their traditional lunch rush.

They're not looking to throw out what they have done well, but rather to improve what they haven't done YET so that y'all would come down and continue doing business with them.

There are changes going on at Eph's, and I'd like to invite folks down over the next couple weeks as they are implemented...and I'll take any and all suggestions, provided they don't include fries with that.

Oh yeah, I'm NOT talking about reducing the size of anything, but possibly offering a half sandwich, so folks who cannot take things leftover won't be forced to waste!

How about a 'drive-by' service where orders called in can be run out to the curb...so parking isn't as much an issue?! We're working on bulk delivery to local offices, too, but perhaps limited to a half-mile or so...lotsa logistics to be concerned with there, and we'd have to find a place to park THAT vehicle!

Cheers!

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, Is that why I saw a uhaul there on Saturday? Changing furniture and so on?

Stromberg2

Gannon

Post Number: 14707
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Changing furniture upstairs only, the remodeling downstairs will be much more subtle.

I'm still trying to grasp the depth of what went on, it is beyond my pay grade.

Gannon

Post Number: 14708
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

or are you just going to clutter this conversation with questions?

Geez, sorry East_detroit, I just re-read that comment...and it came across more harshly than I intended.

I just wanted to groom the conversation a bit...as IF I have anything to complain about with thread distractions...ugh.

Cheers

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1976
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<--The Magestic is my sandwich. My biggest observation with the new location is not really a big complaint. There seems to be little room for those waiting for sandwiches to go. They get mixed in with the folks arriving. It can be confusing for the employees to try to figure out who is there for take out vs who is dining in.

Gannon

Post Number: 14709
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, D'planner, that is a huge issue, along with the 'flow' of getting carry-outs, well, carried out.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 369
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon- the "Drive-by" service (which sounds hilarious, BTW) would be WONDERFUL. I can honestly say if that were an option I'd be much more apt to visit on school days, especially given that we only have an hour and a bit between classes up here. Best guess- an extra 2-3 visits per month, plus ordering extra sandwiches for my friends that are loathe to be risk being late after lunch.

Keep us posted, eh?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2190
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

which single owned business should we pick apart next? How about Third Street Hardware? I mean for god sakes what's with the bikes there's like too many or something. Mario's, man they give you too much food, I hate that! anything i'm forgetting?

Gannon

Post Number: 14710
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

anything i'm forgetting?

How about constructive criticism?!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1977
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"which single owned business should we pick apart next?"

I hate that new coffee place on Michigan, the workers are pretentious. Don't they know there are bums across the street living in tents? :-)

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on October 21, 2008)

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 506
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have they considered bike delivery service for an extra delivery fee?

Gannon

Post Number: 14711
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. Logistics may demand feet first with a limit on distance, then bikes or better in the springtime. Traction...

Larger orders will have full catering available as well...and we're thinking of some other unique service for offices down here. More to follow, if anyone happens to BE an office manager, they should call us at (313) 964-4511 to let us know what they really need.

Cheers!