Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Eph McNally's Questions and More » Archive through October 23, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2191
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for a god sandwich try Happy Cream's Hudson

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2012
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eph's delivery vehicle

Eph's Delivery Vehicle, parking not an issue, unique branding opportunity to extend the Pickle as the brand's marque.

Not too sure if your query is about physical changes to the business, like hours or menu, or expanding their marketing footprint.

From the thrust of your post, it sounds like you are simply trying to get more sandwiches into more offices, and that the problem is simply getting people out of their offices and through the door.

If that is correct, you need to think backwards. ie, from the office worker's point of view. Why aren't they showing up?

If the menu is solid, and the price structure is precieved as a value, then there is a systemic problem in the offices themselves. To wit, more folks are chained to their desks because they are either being made to work through lunch, or they are worried about their jobs and therefore eating at their desks or eating in places that are within their respective office buildings. For example, places like Pizza Papalis/Rio Wraps inside the Dime Bank building might be a quick alternative to putting on a jacket, taking the 10 minute walk, waiting another 10 or 15 for the sandwich and then walking back. That's 30 minutes even before eating the sandwich.

If the workers are worried about their jobs and their mindset is "brown bag it"; there is nothing you can do. If the situation is the worker bees just can't get away from the traditional 30 minute lunch hour, then there is an opportunity to serve them via door-to-door service.

Now, as you point out, a delivery truck is tough because of parking. Bike delivery is a low cost option, but it misses on the central theme of all things Eph: unique dinning experience.

The Segway idea, with custom made styrofoam pickles on the saddlebags will create a downtown buzz because of its unusual appearance.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14713
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome...thanks...you more than make up for Chitaku's waste of bandwidth!

You give me much to chew upon...as always, making my noggin work overtime.

Cheers

Chitaku

Post Number: 2192
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just giving my honest feedback like you asked

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Gannon points out, it's not about offering less food for the same money, it's...give people an option of having a smaller sandwich, for less money.

Their sandwiches are very good, but humungous, and er yeah a bit pricey.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Changing furniture upstairs only, the remodeling downstairs will be much more subtle."

Thanks for that info, Gannon. I got a little panicked when I drove by there, thinking the worst.

Stromberg2...Cheers!

Gannon

Post Number: 14714
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku,

(big grin)

Yeah, I asked for it, alright!

Cheers

(Message edited by Gannon on October 21, 2008)

Stromberg2

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way Gannon, are you affiliated with them now?

Stromberg2

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2013
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gannon, check your email in about 10 minutes.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2374
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just tell the owners to not let you write, contribute to, or advise on any of the print material for the restaurant.

Original63
Username: Original63

Post Number: 260
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the salad. The one I get (slightly overpriced) was the spinich/chicken salad with salad greens. Haven't had one since they closed up corktown though.

Gannon

Post Number: 14715
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, you have NO idea of my capabilities professionally, G'machine!

Sromberg2, I will be helping them during a transition that began over the weekend...I did not know that until a few hours ago. Been working around the restaurant cleaning and organizing all day now...quite the trip.

It is all good...

...well, everything AFTER the two-hour inventory in the walk-in freezer. At least I'm more ready for wintertime now.

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i need furniture G.

Stromberg2

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's cool Gannon. Maybe i'll bump into you this weekend there!

Stromberg2, Cheers to you!

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 944
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You sure you don't wanna take that marquee to Cali with you Long_in_the_tooth?

(Message edited by histeric on October 21, 2008)

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 369
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Gannon:

I love Eph's -- the roast beef and the corned beef are perfection. Sandwich size is great, as half is usually lunch the next day. The prices are fine with me, considering the amount and the quality of the food.

My parents ate there for the first time during the Jazz Fest, and loved it. My dad is not usually easy to impress but he raved about it and actually called to tell me a few weeks ago that Eph's was in a picture on the front page of the Free Press. My dad had the corned beef and loved it because it was so tender and also was a good solid meal, no skimping on anything. The waitress was very friendly and my parents really appreciated that. They loved the decor and commented on different items on the walls throughout our lunch.

I think that the best thing that Eph's could do would be to advertise advertise advertise. Maybe they do and I just haven't seen it. How about passing out flyers on Woodward with 1/2 off or buy one get one free coupons? Just for a limited time of course. The discount will get people in the door but the delicious food will keep them coming back. I really think the key is just getting new people in the door.

P.S. See you at the matinee tomorrow. :-)

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 971
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked the Corktown location, but I was never a regular or anything and don't remember what I ate there, just that it was good. Since they've been downtown, I've tried to drop in a few times on a whim, but they've always been closed. If the hours are 10:30-4:30 Mon-Sat, that probably explains it. I'm almost never downtown during those hours. If they don't feel like opening longer just so I can drop in once in a while, I guess I can't fault them for that. :-)

Gannon

Post Number: 14717
Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did a quickie analysis of the menu last night, and I've seen ONE sandwich for $9, unfortunately at the very beginning of the menu.

There are 53 of 'em, lowest price is $7 and the average price is $7.75, except for one salad at $5.

I started this post incensed at the 9.00 comment earlier, then realized I did my entire analysis last night on an old menu! whoopsie

Cheers

Downtown_lady, thanks for that story...great to hear. See you tomorrow.

Gannon

Post Number: 14720
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 5:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, after a three-day intensive cleaning and organizing, we'll be back in business today. Special thanks to everyone who walked all the way down and read my silly sign on the door, especially that one woman I caught in mid-sentence as she angrily told her co-workers how pissed off she was yesterday. Luckily, my coffeehouse friend Brandon from Pink Eye was busking nearby with his saxophone...so I quickly bribed him to make some sort of contact with anyone who wandered up to the door! It's amazing what he'll do for seventy five cents and a cheese sandwich. (hey! I'm not the cook, and he only told me at the last minute that he was a vegetarian...I should've figured!)

Histeric and I heartily apologize for the delay, but we are now totally geared up and ready to serve the hungry folks downtown...save maybe those who 'need' Orange Crush or a few of the more popular Faygo flavors. Everything else is stocked, and I'm STOKED to get on with this next adventure.

No, sorry, I don't know what the soup for today is yet...I'll try to post that when I get in, if time allows.

If there are any specials that anybody can think we need to get...we'll take suggestions. The fountain will soon be operational for Pepsi products...so Vernors and Mountain Dew fans can get their fix. We will have diet Coke in cans, since those folks seem to not accept any alternative, I think there might be something IN that stuff! (pretty sure time will stop and life as we know it ceases if we allow Pepsi and Coke to share fountain space, and Pepsi has Vernors so nyah-nyah!)

We may pare down the soda selection, but it seems those specialty bottles have dedicated enthusiasts. I simply was unaware of what Stewart, IBC, and Izze DO with soda, and we're going to stock the cooler, glass-bottled Faygo top five as soon as we move a few of those cans out of the fridge.

OH what I would give for some original formula Faygo and Vernors, both with their real recipe sweeteners...but I'm dreaming a bit here in the wee hours.

I'm going to try to get the vegetable scraps over to Cub for composting, as well as our coffee grounds...if we can get efficient with that handling. I see a need for recycling, too, but will have to make room for the bins...and space is something we simply don't have spare.

Eph's for Breakfast, anyone? We're toying with a few ideas in that direction, but will do a real survey first...and will need to limit the menu to a few high-quality things, as it looks now.

Come in for a visit soon, and tell us how we're doing! Hours remain the same, although Sunday is highly questionable unless there is some downtown event or convention...or every one of you who wants us to be open comes in this weekend.

Please call first, though, (313) 964-4511.

Cheers!

(The MetroTimes will be available next week.)

Gannon

Post Number: 14721
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH...Facebookers, we've got a group started now, too. There will be specials posted there ONLY available to those who join, just search out Eph's Downtown...and I'll approve you in a Detroit Minute. We'll do our best to publish our soup selection for the day, too, on Facebook and when our site is on-line.

We're working on a guarantee to have folks seated in about that time, too, and I'm going to talk with Histeric about water served, as long as another drink is purchased. If you 'just' want water, we've got bottled versions, thanks!

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 371
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, glad to hear everything is going well. But why is water not possible, or only possible with the purchase of another drink? That seems to be an easy one. I think not offering water is an easy way to lose people.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2188
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eph McNally's goes from "they" to "we"... because you wanted unfiltered criticism, but then didn't like it?

Haikoont
Username: Haikoont

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this Gannon guy the owner of the place or the janitor?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4298
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faygo does make their original recipe in glass bottles, but only in specific flavors.
Faygo:Click on Products

Chitaku

Post Number: 2195
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you're going to hurt your business if you make your customers buy water.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3714
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really? Paying for a bottle of water is a deal breaker?

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but when every other restaurant in the state will give you a glass of tap water with your meal, why bother to go there and encourage their odd little rules? I don't give a rats ass if the coffee grounds are composted, just give me a water.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3716
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"why bother to go there and encourage their odd little rules?"

Because I want one of their sandwiches? Who eats there? Bums?

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have at it then. See if I care. Gannon wanted to know what we "hated, and been marginally annoyed with" so I am saying that not offering customers water is cheap and petty.

Downtown_lady

Post Number: 373
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm happy to pay for bottled water at a fast food place or if my sandwich at Eph's is a carryout order, but for a restaurant with waiters/waitresses, it just seems good manners to offer a glass of water to guests. A glass of tap water is fine.