Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Eph McNally's Questions and More » Archive through October 24, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 975
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Really? Paying for a bottle of water is a deal breaker?

It pisses people off. I'm no expert, but I think it's pretty safe to say that pissing off customers is a bad idea. Maybe not a deal breaker, exactly, but the sort of thing that builds subconscious negative associations with a place, makes it seem "unfriendly," and gives the impression that they don't really want your business. Instead of "god, I love this sandwich," people will think "this sandwich is good, but..."
And isn't wasting all that plastic sort of contradictory to the ideal behind composting the coffee grounds? Envirohippies hate plastic bottles. I should know, I'm one of them. :-)

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 310
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frankly, the water thing matters to me, too. Water is free (or nearly free), and it's just the expected common courtesy to give customers water, even to go, if they want it, and are paying for a meal, of course. Expecting a customer to purchase a bottle of water just seems to me like a ploy to force customers to spend more money. While I wouldn't necessarily call it a deal-breaker for me, it would certainly leave a bad taste in my mouth. And if someone's watching every dollar spent, and they are gonna want water with their meal, then a sandwich at Eph's just became a dollar more than a sandwich elsewhere at a place that will give free tap water out. Some people may choose to go to the other place..

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P-A-S-T-R-A-M-I

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 945
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have been serving free glasses of water at Eph's since our opening almost two years ago. You are all talking about a policy that existed at Eph McNally's...which is...out of business. Curious. Have you even visited the small business you are discussing? Gannon, I am suprised at you...not knowing that.

Histeric

Post Number: 946
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to dampen the enthusiasm John, because God knows I appreciate it, but perhaps I should take over the role of speaking for my business until you get up to speed.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 375
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Histeric, I do eat at Eph's and I love it; I usually get my order to go. When we ate there during the Jazz Fest, we did get water. After reading Gannon's post I thought maybe Eph's doesn't usually offer water.

Anyway, I love Eph's and I have zero complaints. The roast beef sandwich is heavenly.

Histeric

Post Number: 947
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you DT_Lady. I appreciate it...and the roast beef is my personal favorite as well. Next time you stop in, introduce yourself and say hi. I am the middle age guy running the counter/register for the next few months while we reorganize.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 976
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We have been serving free glasses of water at Eph's since our opening almost two years ago. You are all talking about a policy that existed at Eph McNally's...which is...out of business. Curious. Have you even visited the small business you are discussing? Gannon, I am suprised at you...not knowing that.

Good to know, thanks. I'll try to make it there between 10:30 and 4:30 one of these days.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2855
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is fucked up. Is Eph McNally's open for business, or out of business? Does it serve tap water free of charge, offer bottled water for a price, or insist that I have a Crush or Faygo?
Aw, never mind. I can't afford to go anywhere, anyway. Especially some joint what serves too big of a sammich. Money is tight, to begin with, without the added expense of hiring a rickshaw to tote my leftovers home.

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 311
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to know that water is free. Sorry for my post, I just thought, also, from the other posts, that if customers wanted water, they were forced to buy bottled.

Ravine, if money is tight, then maybe a big Eph's sandwich is just what you need, since it could yield you two meals.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 389
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I'm not the only one with questions. Is Eph's open? Was it closed? Why was it closed? Are the original owners still involved? If not, who owns it now? I've only been in the Woodward location a few times. I went regularly to the Corktown location, until the twit kid with attitude began running it. A reeaallly cool place became uncomfortable. The food and atmosphere was still the best, the hospitality suffered. I admired the owners for their creativity and quality, but not their choice of employees. I had turned many friends on to Eph's and they loved it. Inevitably though, most stopped going because the service was much less than friendly. As far as water goes, it's a deal breaker to me. Bottle water may be a revenue source but it's also one of the worst environmental disasters of our era. I laugh when I hear complaints about the price of petrol - bottled water is much more expensive than petrol. Water is right at your tap for much. much less money and environmental costs.

(Message edited by 1KielsonDrive on October 23, 2008)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2197
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 3:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Histeric your sandwiches are damn good my man.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eph's. Best soup downtown. It's gettin' cold, got to have some soup for lunch. Keep up the good work boys.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 371
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, I'm trying to find the Facebook page and I'm coming up blank. Nothing's coming up with Eph's Detroit. Thoughts?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 721
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a disaster thread. I think it is hurting business more than helping. Just visit it yourself and make up your own mind. You can also figure out the real name of the restaurant while you are there. Hint: it says it right on the front of the establishment.

(Message edited by rjlj on October 24, 2008)

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 253
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eph's Downtown has pretty good sandwiches. If I can't eat the whole thing in one sitting I take it home to eat later.

It is a lunch spot so I go there for lunch. I tend to go in the early afternoon.

If I am thirsty I order a beverage with my lunch. Sometimes I chase my beverage with ice cold water.

This is a classic DetroitYes thread. Quite often I find DetroitYes entertaining. This is one of those times.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 303
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, as the person who first brought up the water issue, I apologize. I have indeed visited the downtown shop on several occasions but was basing my belief that they didn't serve water on my experiences at the Corktown place. I'll be in for a sandwich soon.

Savorynotsweet
Username: Savorynotsweet

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My only wish for Eph's is that they offered some sort of liverwurst sandwich. Really.

Not many places serve the stuff -- I assume because it's not a taste for everybody -- so to me, a good liverwurst sandwich is a sign of a superior sandwich establishment.

Savorynotsweet

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I just got back from picking up a carry-out order from Eph's and need to update my wishlist above.

The good news: Free water (liquid and frozen little cubes) was flowing. The place was jumping. My sandwich is super delicious and extra large.

That said, I won't be going back for awhile. I had to wait 25 minutes for a carry out order placed at 1:15 (I was trying to avoid the heaviest part of the lunch rush). I was ok with the wait until I got back to my desk and realized that they got my order wrong.......grrrrr.

It's not the end of the world. I hope things will eventually settle down at Eph's because the food can be so good. Or maybe my schedule will change to allow 40 minute round trips for incorrect carry-out orders.

If you are going to Eph's in the near future, bring your big hunger, a thirst for free water, and plenty of patience as well.

(Message edited by savorynotsweet on October 24, 2008)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2200
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you should bring your complaint up at the restaurant, not on this board. Obviously they are in a transition and working things out for god sake!I have bad experiences at local restaurants around here on a weekly basis and the last thing I would do is post it up here. The restaurant business is the hardest business to make it in because of people like you.

(Message edited by chi-taku on October 24, 2008)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14722
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take any complaints here, although Histeric would certainly appreciate anything live and in person.

I am SO glad you didn't come in yesterday, Savorynotsweet. We have a new kitchen staff, and lunch was cruising along today right until the time Histeric noticed that it was going well.

That was 12:45, THEN things curiously got bunched up for an hour. It was as if Murphy heard Histeric's comment!

Histeric was quite busy at the counter, and was unable to chat with you, Savory.

We apologize for the delay, and hope that you don't wait too long to try us again.

Again, three new chefs learning a menu with the most creative numbering system ever...but we are stuck with it for a while.

Too many people know it and have their favorites, but it ONLY works if the cooks don't have to go back and forth to find the ingredients.

I'm making new instructions for the kitchen tonight, and that will smooth out the problems like you experienced. We expect them to become the very rare exception.

(Message edited by Gannon on October 24, 2008)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14723
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is about yesterday...I couldn't post it this morning:

quote:

Not to dampen the enthusiasm John, because God knows I appreciate it,
but perhaps I should take over the role of speaking for my business until you get
up to speed.

Absolutely. After yesterday, I'm going to Warp Speed University for some catch-up
courses. Whoa.

I will never, EVER take for granted the relative miracle of the perfectly running
machine it takes to serve a houseload of people...and yes, I will not speak publicly
on your business without checking with you first.

My enthusiasm may be hiding from yesterday's shock, but it is NOT gone!

Cheers

addendum: Today made up for yesterday.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what time does eph close today? me and the girl want to go get a sandwich before the dia?

Savorynotsweet

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Gannon. It was nice just to make the introductions --- no way do I expect conversation when a place is that busy.

I only posted my total experience because you said you were interested in all feedback. I appreciate your response. And I'm sure I'll be back at Eph's -- the food is too good to stay away. If nothing else, I'm glad this thread got Eph's back on my lunchtime radar.

Histeric

Post Number: 948
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We close at 5:00 Monday through Friday...and for those who were previously disappointed by early closings, that will not be happening. We will honor the hours we advertise, unless I am dead or in the hospital.

And Mike, I will be here until 6 tonight doing prep and paperwork, so knock on the window and I will be happy to take care of you and the girl. After that, I will be at the Bohouse for a gallery opening.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 618
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So forgive me if it was in a previous comment that I glossed over, but what's changed? Please tell me my favorite #43 Fort Wayne is still on the menu?
(IMO, I wouldn't change anything about the place. I love a sammich that lasts me two days.)

Histeric

Post Number: 950
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only changes are management. The menu, decor and deli attitude remains the same. Get Eph'd in downtown Detroit. Great Sandwich. Bad Attitude.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 173
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waited for 40 minutes between order and our food coming at lunch today.

Profuse apologies from the waiter about a 'new kitchen' wasn't making my stomach less hungry.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Histeric, I was a bit late today, I should have gone before the DIA, not after.

I will definitely make it, I honestly have never heard any complaints about the place till this thread was started.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 399
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't get answers to my questions. Anyway, it doesn't matter, I consider Eph's to be a Detroit Institution. I wish and hope for Eph's all the best. I'll still visit occasionally if I'm certain the same great food and quirky atmosphere is present along with smiling faces. Maybe even the original owners once in a while.