Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Thanksgiving Day Parade 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 82 year old Dad will be in town for Thanksgiving this year. When we were kids he would always pack us up and we'd head downtown and watch the parade while Mom and Grandma cooked their little hearts out. I thought it would be fun to grab breakfast and the parade this year with Dad. I looked at the Parade Co website and they have breakfast and a seat in one of their grandstands for $48 per person. That's out of my price range, to say the least. Then, I came across the Majestic offering breakfast and a view of the staging area for $20. Now THAT is better. Not a ton of walking, breakfast, the parade (OK, a block BEFORE the parade!) and my Daddio! Life is good! Anyone have similar plans cooking?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking at the Book Cadillac Thanksgiving Package.

$149 includes night before thanksgiving, parking, 2 breakfasts.... Then to the parade and Lions game.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

B-C package sounds like a pretty good deal.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 904
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

scs-send me an email -pgn421atcomcast.net

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1985
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched the parade once at the mexican place near the Whitney, I want to call it Tequilla, but I know I am not right.

It was a frigid day and I was thrilled to be inside watching it with my family. There is nothing like watching it in the warmth and having ready access to a bathroom and food. I know Hockeytown has a similar event. There are probably other places, maybe Union Street or Orchestra Hall/Max Fisher, or the place further south on the W side of the street?

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hockeytown's website says they are closed for a private party on T-Day.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner, Are you thinking of Agave? It's closed.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah it was agave. Thanks. I know its closed. Its been years since I've had to think of its name. :-)

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We did the Majestic last year - it was really a great experience all the way around.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3648
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there, but I'll be doing it the old-fashioned way: dragging a cooler with cider & donuts, along with several thermos' with hot chocolate & coffee.

Enjoyed the view by the Bonnell Theater last year.

I might do that again this year.

Bike4beer
Username: Bike4beer

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone go and get any pics? I am looking for pics of the unicycle team if anyone has them. I had 4 family members riding. I didn't make it down this year.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 815
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I LOVE the new Elephante float! SO cute :-)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3104
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some photos from the parade...we were on the east side of Woodward between Edmund and Alfred.

GM Future float

For Bike4Beer

unicyclists1

unicyclists2

Elmo balloon

Model Ts

free beads

heads

Santa

Sorry if they are not too crisp, they lose a lot when reducing them to a postable size.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 561
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pics Kathleen! Up here in NY, we get only coverage of the Macy's parade, so it's nice to see some pictures! Happy Thanksgiving!

Mbshan
Username: Mbshan

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live right on Woodward up on the second story and have great seat for the parade! I especially loved the big heads this year. Some of them really crack me up. Tom Selleck...lol

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 741
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted some photos from the Detroit parade as well.

We got a little cold and had ducked into Foran's for a warmup. I ended up cheering for Santa passing by from a bar stool.

Mbshan
Username: Mbshan

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, I think they need to get some new balloons. I think it's time to change captain underpants. As he went by I could have sworn I saw a skid?

Bike4beer
Username: Bike4beer

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fishtoes2000:
Thanks for the pics. My nephew is the unicycle rider on the far left with the whistle in his mouth. The seat on that is 12ft in the air. I also had three nieces riding unicycles in that group.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.