Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Eph McNally's Questions and More » Archive through October 29, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Birdie
Username: Birdie

Post Number: 72
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

could someone fill me in on the relationships between the previous corktown eph mcnally's, the eph's downtown and mudgie's deli which is in the location of the old eph mcnally's and very similar?

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 953
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2190
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eph McNally's is not on Woodward?

Gannon isnt part of the "they" or the "we"?

Eph's offers free water but not Faygo?

What the Eph is up with this thread?

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 724
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know Greg Mudge used to work at Eph McNally's in the previous Corktown location, and now owns Mudgie's in that location.

Birdie

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Alley. That makes sense. I'm surprised by your one-word answer, Histeric, since it sounds like you are an owner of Eph's. I used to eat quite a bit at the former Eph McNally's location in Corktown and although I am not frequently downtown at the lunch hour I have been looking forward to making a trip to try out Eph's. I've heard it's delicious. I've also heard good things about Mudgie's and am excited to eat there as well. I was just wondering if any of them had the same ownership, menu, etc.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14730
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon volunteered to help a friend out in an extreme crisis. As long as this friend sees a value in my energies and deep-thoughts expended, I will hang around for a number of reasons.

I went from saying "they" to "we" when I decided to help with more than just advice. Needed to study the operation from the inside and see the flow potential first.

I believe I can be valuable to Histeric in this adventure of his, and will gain incredible experience that simply could NOT be gleaned otherwise.

Eph's Downtown is on Woodward at Congress, two blocks north of the Spirit of Detroit statue and one half block south of Campus Martius. The tradition continues, some of the best sandwiches you'll ever taste, and amazing soups, too.

Tap water is free with any sandwich purchase! No...don't have change for the bus, sorry.

Cheers

Oh Kielson, sorry...thought those were rhetorical.

quote:

Is Eph's open? Was it closed? Why was it closed? Are the original owners still involved? If not, who owns it now?

Yes it is open. Today and tomorrow, too! It was closed for staff training and general cleaning earlier this week. The rest of it you'll have to take up with Histeric in person. It might not be any of your business, but it sure is his.

Again, Eph's will be OPEN FOR BUSINESS this Sunday. IF you want it to remain so...please consider a deli for your lunchtime pleasure. The usual weektime stresses disappear on the weekend, so you can enjoy the same great atmosphere, walls FULL of Detroit and Charlie's Angels memorabilia, and unbelievably great food without battling folks during their employer-enforced lunch hour.

Cheers

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5113
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to chime in with a word of support of Eph's downtown and urge the forum to support it. My experiences there have been positive and the food is the best.

I've known Histeric for quite a while now and this guy has worked his hands down to the bone to make Detroit a better place. His efforts have greatly benefitted Corktown and he has been the most important force in making the Bohouse the great cultural institution it has become. He has done this at great personal and financial sacrifice and deserves our applause and support. If there are issues with Eph's you can be certain he will take the bull by the horns and fix them.

Running a small business, making payrolls and carrying all the burdens -- and you're the last to get paid if any -- is no easy task. I know; I run one too. It is easy to lob bombs when you don't have to catch them too, but has been refreshing to see so many rise to the defense and correct false assertions.

We all know we need places like Eph's to succeed and flourish downtown, so give'm a break, your business and support.

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 123
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work downtown, a 5 minute walk from Eph's. I had discovered the original Corktown location and was geeked that they moved to Woodward. The Quality of the product is always top notch and as I am usually working weekends I call ahead to make certain they are open and to place my order. I've even seen Gannon in there nursing a hangover!!:-)
I feel much better spending a little extra for a great product produced by an independent. Most sangwich chains start to taste like cardboard after a while. At Eph's I get the true deli vibe and portions that might warrant a nap at my desk if it's a slow afternoon.

You guys have my full support. Now if you'll only name a sandwich after the Grande Ballroom .....Irish beef, turkey and swiss on sourdough. Hold the acid :-)

Cheers,
Leo B = #43

Birdie

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks, gannon. i was mainly asking about the connection between the new eph's/eph mcnally's, etc., because i wondered if they were related businesses and would have a similar menu. i'm a vegetarian and always really enjoyed the vegetarian sandwiches at eph mcnally's. it's the rare meat-heavy restaurant that gets the veggie options down. didn't mean to be nosy, histeric. looking forward to checking it out.

Gannon

Post Number: 14736
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Birdie,

My introduction to vegetarian sandwiches came one day at Eph's when they ran out of turkey...I only would come in well after the lunch rush usually.

The Dublin Garden is an amazing dish, if not completely vegan due the cheese. It also contains a spinach salad, alfalfa sprouts, avocado, tomato, lettuce, and red onion on serious whole wheat bread.

I developed an addiction to them, well before I considered this venture.

Today was a good day in the deli...lotsa smiles all around.

Good to see you, Leob! I'll send that sandwich request upstream...although Histeric will probably see it before I talk with him.

We're not rushing to make any menu changes...but will never shy from a decent good idea.

Not so sure about Gnome's suggestion last night, though. The King Kwame?! Fried bologna on toasted white bread. Something about tossed salad on the side...

...believe it or not the conversation went south from there!

Cheers, I'm going to rest and soak before heading up to Jacoby's to mix sound for Audra Kubat and Silent Violet!

This 'work' thang is really tough...dunno how you all do it...

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 2205
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm the black woman who loves the chicken salad sandwiches and always buys them to go

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 402
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gannon.

Gannon

Post Number: 14738
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope to see y'all in the shop today, I'm weak from a wild night at Jacoby's and too little sleep, but luckily I don't have to be playing with knives and making sandwiches.

At the least, I'll be entertaining. Mayor_Sekou may be the most correct after all.

Cheers, I think.

1Kielsondrive, this would be a GREAT day to drop by and talk with Histeric about the use of the BoHouse for the Garwood Mansion re-union, and I spoke with "Mike" last night about it and he's as geeked as the rest of y'all. Come by if you can.

Eat at Eph's!

(now we're heavily into self-promotion and business advertising, a no-no on the forum, so I'll stop!)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2205
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do you guys open at noon? I woke up at 11 for a pre Lions game sandwich and it was locked

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 955
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, we open at noon on Saturday and Sundays.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 137
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, thanks for the tasty #57. It was great meeting you today. Sorry I missed you Histeric. I hope Sundays proves to be a busy day for you guys.

Stromberg2

Gannon

Post Number: 14749
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I estimate that just over half our business today were forumers, but only two that I already knew. Pretty cool turnout, and some really great conversation.

Eph-in' Sundays! This one sure went by quickly.

Gannon

Post Number: 14750
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, all, the food service industry can be fun.

You made it that today, a total pleasure to serve up those smiles from full bellies.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2207
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What time are you guys open till on Sundays? my Dad is excited for a post Lions game sandwich, next home game.

Gannon

Post Number: 14752
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Five o'clock.

Call us if you are bumping against that time, so we don't shut the line down too soon. Heck, call us BEFORE you go to the game, Sundays are our catch-up days and I'd rather be warned in advance!

Gotta keep ahead of that Murphy fellow, always. I do so despise that 'Whatever Will Go Wrong Always Will' Lawmaker.

I'm pretty sure ONE of the restaurant corollaries reads something like, 'Even on the slowest day you will suffer the largest potential last-minute rush within moments of the kitchen being completely cleaned for tomorrow's business'...and probably another, 'No matter what the stockroom looked like a moment ago, the availability of whatever your client's wish will be oddly lacking; with a probability directly correlated to the distance they traveled to your door, compounded by the desire established by specific recommendations from previous customers.'

I'd bet you can add a few more.

Met a few fellows from out-of-town, RABID Lions fans apparently imported to make up for the complete lack of enthusiasm out of the locals.

I couldn't take care of them because we'd just let the line cook leave after a decent Sunday...so I talked them over to the few bars that I knew would be open.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2380
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, i am still stymied as to why anyone would open up the inner workings of their business to discussion/critique on a public forum. it'll be good market research for competitors at least...

order more corned beef, check.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on October 27, 2008)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait. There was a remodel? Uh, if you guys don't want that Hudson's poster that was in there, can I have it? Or is it for sale, at least? :-)

Detroit News thinks Eph's is closed:
http://events.detnews.com/detr oit-mi/venues/show/73046-eph-m cnallys

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1489
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, couldn't find that Facebook page, Gannon.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 731
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravitymachine, I'm under the impression that it isn't the owner who is "[opening] up the inner workings of their business to discussion/critique on a public forum"

Gannon

Post Number: 14754
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Facebook has a problem IF the initial setup of the group was chosen poorly. I did Detroit only, and then realized it needed to be Global, too.

Plus, for some reason Histeric was blocked. SO? I'm going to relaunch it later tonight or tomorrow and will post a link to it here when I get to that...right now I've got a few other priorities, and NO, one of them is not hanging around here!

Gravity, this thread was started just to gather information originally, there was never any intent on divulging any internal secrets.

I merely wanted to help a friend, and was never intending on joining up with him. There are at least two schools of thought with internet forums, and I'm of the one that negative comments are solvable...and I'd MUCH rather have the resolutions made publicly so OTHERS can know that management is trying to do their best.

I have NO trouble with people sharing their experiences, especially the bad ones, as long as most folks here realize that negative comments are usually voiced more forcefully then when someone's expectations are simply being met.

When regular people realize that there is more to the story, I'd rather have the chance to utter that here than lose them forever as customers. The next time, if they give us one, they may join the hundreds of folk who love us beyond measure.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,
Ask your friend if he's selling that Hudson's poster. I was serious. :-)

Gannon

Post Number: 14757
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

None of the vintage and historic decorations are on the block, as far as I know, but next time you're buying a sandwich...make Histeric a large cash offer!

I'm still waiting to hear back from the Bureau of Urban Living on that 'Keep Calm' poster...was considering making wall space for that modern classic.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1781
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any chance of letting folks order a half sandwich?

Gannon

Post Number: 14761
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Working on that, so far no menu changes. Sorry. Soon.

It's only been a week for the system to stabilize, thanks all for your patience and continued business with us. I'm tired, but this is really enjoyable.

DO look for one of the earliest CBD displays of the Keep Calm and Carry On posters from the Bureau of Urban Living, big fun for our vestibule.

Cheers!

Ashdetroit
Username: Ashdetroit

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe anybody could ever have a bad word to say about Eph McNally's. It's the most delicious sandwich in Detroit!!
By the way, thanks for opening up on Sundays, Gannon and Histeric! That's always the worst day to try and find a late lunch/early dinner if I'm moving slow. :-) I can't wait.