Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Eph McNally's Questions and More » Archive through October 31, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you guys change the turkey? Seemed a little different than what i've had before. Seemed roasted not smoked. Oh yeah, Thanks for the Sunday hours!

Stromberg2

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On "Trip Advisor" a forum that 10's of thousands of people use for vacations and business. "Ephs" is still listed at 1300 Porter, and it doesn't even mention Mudgies. This might be why Eph's is listed as closed on the Detroit News site.

If the owners of each place go to the site they can change their listing faster than a TA member. Both places are wonderful and tourists should know about them.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2042
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ephing perfect

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 726
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it is called Eph's now.

Eph McNally's is no more.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8972
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I blame Gnome.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2678
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eph's must be this years Slow's, huh? lol. Ill vouch for it though went in there last week and it was good enough for the price and it was nice to meet some fellow forumers.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14768
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 4:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Eph's Delicatessen Downtown Detroit, we say Eph's Downtown (or Woodward) for short.

Eph McNally's IS no more.

Stromberg,

If there was a difference in your turkey, it was a minor oversight by one of the procurer's of the stock...which certainly may have been me. It was LIKELY my fault, and won't happen again. We're not intending on making any changes to the recipes, rather making certain we do things exactly like they used to be done by rote habit.

Making absolutely certain our new BACK kitchen does things the same as the front one, for ramping up delivery and such, has been our chore. To have such progress in DAYS has been very encouraging...yesterday really, really rocked. We had an incredible lunchtime crowd with only one major complaint, and that from one small salad incorrectly portioned.

If ONLY it hadn't been done to the very patient woman who got stuck in our last Thursday debacle of a lunch hour...heh...what ARE the odds, huh?

Oh, and I had to dash out to the Freep building to deliver a couple of salad dressings that were forgotten in the rush. Got the chance to chat up the cool security guard in their lobby while I waited for our customer to come down.

All things considered, we've got this place happening...and are ready for the next phase.

You will all know when we exercise THAT...

Rjlj

Post Number: 733
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, then why did you name this thread "Eph McNally's Questions and More"

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 435
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The more I read this thread, the more I hesitate returning to Eph's. I value consistency, and every debacle disclosed makes it appear as if the only thing consistent is inconsistency. The product was great, but it appears that this new direction is kind of haphazard, to say the least. Though I wish the best for Eph's in this "next phase," I am kind of worried about the consistency of this transition, or whatever the heck is going on that is discussed on this thread.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 741
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can understand that. I don't think it's necessary, or a good idea, to discuss inside business details and changes with the public. It's a business, not a co-op. Customers don't need to know, and usually don't want to know, everything that goes on behind the scenes. What you tell them may turn them off and they might not stop in

Registeredguest

Post Number: 436
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^ Exactly - much more succinct and articulate than my post.

In fact, the reason I follow this post is to see when someone will finally tell this new addition to the Eph's team to shut up.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2045
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SPIRIT ON RYE

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa folks, When you've basically changed over staff in only a couple weeks, there are going to be little mistakes. Anything that is a mistake has always been rectified by Histeric and his staff in a timely matter. Notice nobody had a word to say before this thread. It's alright to get feedback from customers so that mistakes aren't repeated and the dining experience is most enjoyable. Quite frankly, except for the above mentioned turkey, I've never had a problem.

Stromberg2

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 742
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You started the thread Oct. 21 at 6:41AM, by Oct. 21 2:00 PM Eph's was "we" not "they." You move quick.?

postnote: This post may be confusing since you've removed your last post that said you started this thread before you were involved with Eph's

(Message edited by alley on October 30, 2008)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14774
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it was a pretty fast transition, and an even QUICKER and hectic last week...

Thewordonthestreet
Username: Thewordonthestreet

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Word on the street is that it is no longer Eph McNally's is because the original owners were forced out.

Rob and Tom owned the original Eph McNally's in Corktown. When they moved the business downtown, they went into partnership with Scott. For whatever reason, Rob and Tom had some sort of a lawsuit being held against them. So instead of putting the restaurant at jeopardy, they transfered the business into Scott's wife's name.

From what I've heard, Scott decided that he wanted to run the business on his own. So one day while Rob and Tom are attending a wedding up north, Scott rents a U-Haul and loads it with all of Rob and Tom's personal belongings from their upstairs apartment, drops it off at one of their mothers house and tells the mother Rob and Tom asked me to drop this off. Scott then proceeds to change the locks on the business door and the door to the apartment.

So here are Rob and Tom who have spent years and countless dollars creating a brand and a business only to have it stolen out from under them. All that memorabilia on the walls? It belongs to Rob and Tom. The coolers stock piled with your favorite soda? They belongs to Rob and Tom. Eph's? It belongs to Rob and Tom.

How kosher (pun intended).

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2688
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that's the case shouldn't Rob and Tom seek a good lawyer and duke it out in court for control of the restaurant? It seems hard to believe that these people would get strong armed so easily without putting up at least something of a fight, unless their complete cowards or Scott is bad motherfucker.

Whatever who gives a shit the sandwiches are good and that's that. Its not Kwame Kilpatrick in the Manogian its a damn sandwich shop, we don't need the inside scoop or word on the street about a sandwich shop. Its not that serious.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 304
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well put . . . as Stompin' Tom Connors once put it, "They'll stand up to the hardest test--right on the table."

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 382
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw that also Raggedclaws, Got to wonder how long before someone has Lowell pull the plug on the whole thread?

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 278
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised it's still here.

Rjlj

Post Number: 735
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worst thread ever

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 383
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Garden to the Garwood, and now this mess in a sandwich shop, seems like that little break from posting someone was talking about awhile back might be a good thing?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8991
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4812
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I now have a whole new reason to keep stopping by for a sammich.

With a side order of controversy.

Thewordonthestreet
Username: Thewordonthestreet

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh. Guess I missed that post by Ndavies.

Registeredguest

Post Number: 437
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only a side order of controversy, but also a side order of kraziness and conspiracies.

Yep - I am pretty sure I'll be staying away so long as "research and transition" phase continues.

Last thing you do with a good business - bring in a self-branded consultant with zero experience running the business to eph it all up.

Haikoont
Username: Haikoont

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.yumsugar.com/186567 6