Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit schools chief Calloway asked to cut her security « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 480
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A common theme with many Detroit officials is an excessive amount of detail in comparison with the merits of their position. Though it is not unprecedented for the superintendent to have detail, we can still ask why? More specifically, why does Connie Calloway need detail? When we face a tight budget and threatened closers and layoffs, it seems a good place to cut the fat is Calloway’s detail.

Is this just to feed her ego or does she really merit it?

http://freep.com/article/20081 117/NEWS01/811170329

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3661
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebody might throw grapes at her.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 514
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm no fan of Calloway but she does need at most one person. She was brought here partly(mostly) to cut heads and downsize the district. She is kind of short and potentially a target of laid off employees,unhappy parents and community people. She doesn't need 24/7 security however.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 298
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heaven knows they have been throwing enough money at them over the years.

Savannah
Username: Savannah

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This would be funny,but nobody's laughing. As long as it's for ejukashun, the Americanus dumbassus will shell out for anything.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 540
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you kidding me? If I had that job, I'd be asking for the USMC to be my guards.

Savannah

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry, I guess when you are of the Commissar rank in this "Great society" you are entitled to such nonsense.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 747
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something is totally wrong when a school district's Superintendent needs protection. Is this unique to Detroit? You don't see civilized school districts needing protection.

Savannah

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think "civilized" is they key word here.

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 182
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think there's any reason in the world for her to have 2 security guards following her around all day.

That being said, it is kinda ironic that the board is asking her to cut this cost. Aren't they the ones that hired her and approved the terms of her contract?

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering she is my "boss" and I wouldn't know her on the street, I don't think she needs bodyguards...especially when I don't have enough BOOKS!

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2901
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit schools chief Calloway asked to cut her security "

that and her calorie intake.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 300
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess if you had her type of job approval, you'd need some security guards too. Hard to say who'd want to do her more harm...fellow board members or parents of students stuck in the crummy school system.
I had to laugh when I read one guard got in trouble when he wouldn't carry her purse.

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 221
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DPS could save a hell of a lot of monies if they would arm Ms. Calloway the way the Nuns were back in the days of Catholic education.....with a pointer and a ruler!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 700
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don,t see the need for her to have a body guard. The super in my district and also my boss don,t warrant it even under fire from the teachers.When I see photos of the closed schools such as Redford which as far as I know had a multi million dollar athletic field renovation only to be closed a few years later, and stories of Lonnie Bates and his cheesy junkets,Calloways detail may even look cheap.The way it looks though[mainly in Detroit] that any higher ranking official seems to think they deserve a detail.What is up with that?

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 546
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sludge, you got it!

Reddog289

Post Number: 702
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lutheran teachers could give her one of those antique paddles.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 359
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Throw more grapes.

Marshall
Username: Marshall

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heck I don't see the need for Calloway period. No value added here.

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Heck I don't see the need for Calloway period. No value added here".

+1. There has been no improvement since she has taken this post. Just a waste of taxpayers money! I'm still bitter that they closed my old high school.

Firstandten

Post Number: 520
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again the reason she's here is to clean up and downsize the district. Plus the board was so concerned as to how the Coleman situation was going to turn out they felt that they had to bring in somebody.

She is doing that!

If you wanted somebody who has a vision on how the move the district forward and to be competitive in the 21st century then you have the wrong person.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 481
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When is her contract up?

Firstandten

Post Number: 521
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When is her contract up?"

One year down four to go!
She won't be here until the end of her contract.
As soon as it makes sense economically to buy her out of her contract she will be gone. I would bet no later than year 3

Reddog289

Post Number: 709
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many Supers has DPS had in the last 10 yrs?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 5:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's 5 supers in the last 10 years.
Snead
Adamany
Burnley
Coleman
Calloway

Firstandten

Post Number: 522
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 5:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the last 10 years it was

Green
Adamany-interim
Burnley - had 5 of the 10 years only reason he was there as long was because he was technically a CEO.
Coleman
Satchel-interim
Calloway

Firstandten

Post Number: 523
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 6:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The average job life span of a big city superintendent is between 2 and 3 years. So I am on pretty solid ground guessing that Calloway won't be here beyond year 3

Taxpayer7
Username: Taxpayer7

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone please clarify Calloway's current contract as it relates to her salary. I've read in different media publications that her salary is &280,000 per year for 5 years, and then I've read that her salary is $280,000 over a five year period (e.g. $280,000/5 years would average out to $56,000 per year.) Vs. ($280,000 per year x 5 years which would be $1.4 million total).

Firstandten

Post Number: 524
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You had it right the first time it is 280,000 per yr for 5 yrs. It is pretty much the going rate for a big city superintendent. However for her since she came from a much smaller district that represents a huge difference. Probably triple from what she was getting.

Reddog289

Post Number: 716
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The $280 per year sounds right, The super where I live makes $252,000 A YR so I hear. With the roll call of the former supers I wouldn,t want that pay raise at all. Thanks DETTEACHER AND 1st&10

Taxpayer7
Username: Taxpayer7

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the clarification Firstandten and Reddog. I guess I was hoping it wasn't $285,000 per year; but sounds like it is. I'm just bewildered over how DPS can justify those kind of salaries with the school district in the shape that it is.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 361
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a lot of money, but then, I was shocked to find out that Fanchon Stinger of Fox 2 News made over $300,000 for what she did! So I guess in perspective....but dang!

Firstandten

Post Number: 527
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taxpayer7 its called market value. DPS is in such bad shape you can't get anybody of value to come unless you pay the going rate for a big city superintendent or in some cases overpay.

If we could have gotten a proven administrator instead of a second tier talent like Calloway DPS would have needed to pay even more.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1830
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't agree -- compare her salary with what the superintendents of NYC or Philly schools make, and I bet you she's right up there. It's the hiring process...are they really considering everybody across the country, is it open?

Firstandten

Post Number: 529
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Calloway's salary is right on the upper end of the $175K-$305K range for urban supers. I don't think the hiring process was real open for a couple of reasons. One the board did not use a search firm (save money?) Honestly, the search was probably restricted to AA candidates (political reasons?) The Detroit job is a bad job for a lot of reasons but most likely the main one is having to deal with a 11 member board.

As a result you limit your options and you are essential overpaying to get a person who wants one big payday before they retire (Galloway). The DPS job would be a career killer for an up and coming administrator.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is my proposal for giving something back to Detroit & DPS:

Monday - Friday, 7:00 until 11:00 am - Security Officer for Superintendent

Monday - Friday, 12:00 until 3:00 pm - US Government & Economics Instructor at MLK Jr. HS

Monday - Friday, 3:45 until 5:30 pm - Swimming & Diving Coach at Cooley HS (November through February); Track & Field (throws & fitness) Coach (March through June)

I am fully credentialed & exquisitely qualified (thank-you); I will perform all of the above for well-under $50K annually.

I ain't needy - I just want to help keep costs down, while driving quality way-the-hell up!

Connie......CALL ME!
Cooley.....Start Filling up the Pool

(Message edited by chuckjav on November 23, 2008)

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck: There is a funny story (or not so funny) about the pool and the lack of water in it at Cooley. I don't want to mention it in an open forum but if you email me I'll be happy to tell all. Tmcooleyweb at aol dot com.

1kielsondrive

Post Number: 599
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like Sludge said, arm her like the nuns: rulers, pointers and a good old sock in the face. Sister Leo Therese used to walk up quietly, pull you out of line or class and sock you in the face. Didn't matter if you were 140 lbs. soaking wet, or a 200 lb. lineman. POW, in the kisser!

(Message edited by 1KielsonDrive on November 24, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.