Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Guilty Nathaniel Abraham back to Jail for 2+ year « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 630
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nathaniel Abraham this morning pleaded guilty to drug possession with intent to sell and will likely spend more than two years in prison.

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0081117/NEWS03/81117027/?imw=Y

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 600
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and so the cycle continues ....

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 673
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring on the nature vs. nurture debate.

Should he still be locked up today for his original crimes?

Does the system really correct people, or make them worse?

I am already blue in the face.

Mschievous
Username: Mschievous

Post Number: 308
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, TK, there's no rehabilitation in prison (and that assumes one was 'habilitated' in the first place). I'm afraid young Abraham was doomed the moment he was convicted of the first crime. Funny, I may have missed it but I don't recall seeing a lot of information on his early upbringing, his parents, siblings, etc. Maybe I missed it but it's almost like he's been on his own most of his life.

I'm afraid this was a losing proposition from the start. This poor young man has known nothing but prison since he was what, 11-12 years old? What did we really expect? Break a window with a baseball when you're 12 and you get a week stuck in your room with no TV, kill a man when you're 12 and you get a lifetime with only TV in a 6 x 6 cell. I'm not excusing or condoning his actions, I'm just sayin'...

I feel sorry for him but I think this is one battle we lost

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel sorry for the person he killed.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 359
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's very sad. I wonder if they actually rehabilitated him while inside, or just HELD him? When he came out, he wanted to be a rapper, obviously, he wanted THAT life. He didn't want to work and go to school and build a respectable life. He probably gorged himself on BET the entire time he was locked up then got out and became the victim of the guys at the studio who promised him he could make it. Probably the same guys who put him on the street to sell the pills. I still say they should investigate that connection further, the owner of the Cadillac was, I believe, the owner of the studio too. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a bunch of young men out there dealing for studio time.

Anyway, its tough out here. He wasn't equipped to deal with life and while it wasn't his fault to begin with, he's an adult now and its totally his fault for making the wrong decisions.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 674
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the jails are not going to rehabilitate people, then they might as well not let them out. It's silly to live in a society where crime and injustice is on the rise, but the government doesn't want to fix or dispose of the wrongdoers. They want to recycle them and pop them back into society. What are the chances there?

So......

Is it that we are not mandating proper upbringings among households?

Is it we are not holding criminals long enough and releasing them too early back into the world?

Is it the correctional facilities are not correcting anything?

Is it that society is becoming more and more violent and aggressive across the population?

Should we build more jails, or increase capital punishment?

Gene - I feel sorry for the victim as well.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1525
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee. Never saw that one coming. :P

Turkeycall
Username: Turkeycall

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan Department of Correction?

Michigan Department of Punishment?

Michigan Department of Rehabilitation?

Michigan Department of Criminal Storage?

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 228
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel sorry for all the victims ,not just the one he shot and killed. How about the ones who had their houses and cars broken into and their identities stolen so pill heads can buy more drugs from guys like him.

He picked a bad city to do business in. Oakland County never did like drug dealers. He would have had an easier time in Wayne County.

Detroitjim
Username: Detroitjim

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ways Jeffy Fieger naah!

Nanska
Username: Nanska

Post Number: 146
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not surprised that he is going back to prison.

Bike4beer
Username: Bike4beer

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.stateline.org/live/ ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=136 &languageId=1&contentId=14835

Seems like returning to prison is a common problem.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2852
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He had plenty of opportunity in, and after, Juvenile Hall. Which by the way, is not a prison, but a dorm under lock down.

I knew he was lost cause when he showed up for court a year or two ago in a pink pimp suit.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 601
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Originally posted by Tkshreve:

If the jails are not going to rehabilitate people, then they might as well not let them out.

I agree with this statement. It is probably the best argument I've heard for added focus on rehabilitation. If we can't fix the broken product, either because we didn't try or we are simply unable to, then why let the product back out on the streets?

quote:

It's silly to live in a society where crime and injustice is on the rise, but the government doesn't want to fix or dispose of the wrongdoers. They want to recycle them and pop them back into society. What are the chances there?

Chances are very slim in that scenario for someone who is in the system to come out and be a productive citizen.

quote:

Is it that we are not mandating proper upbringings among households?

The government can't mandate this, but it is obvious that many parents don't take parenting seriously. And some communities, unfortunately, are enablers.

quote:

Is it we are not holding criminals long enough and releasing them too early back into the world?

I don't think it's the quantity of time we hold offenders, but the quality of the time we hold offenders. In Abraham's case I will be honest, I always said he should do life in prison. Thing is, he'll end up doing life in prison anyway. It will just be in piece-meal, as he goes in and out of the system. It's not easy to rehabilitate murderers, rapists, and child molesters (if even possible). Nevertheless, it's not like we try to rehabilitate non-violent offenders either. I guess that's why we spend more money on the criminal justice system than we do on college education in this state.

quote:

Is it the correctional facilities are not correcting anything?

The correctional facilities are nothing more than adult day care centers. Three hots and a cot, tv, work out and fitness programs, etc, etc, etc. Prison shouldn't be a vacation.

quote:

Is it that society is becoming more and more violent and aggressive across the population?

Yes. That and people are forgetting how to raise children. Respect for another person's rights, property, and life should be drilled into children. Let's not also forget a decent education system would go a long way in solving some of these problems as well. This is one case where politicians and other scum stepping out of the way would move us 50 steps closer to where we need to go.

quote:

Should we build more jails, or increase capital punishment?

NO TO MORE JAILS! We have enough damn jails and Michigan spends enough money imprisoning people. I do support capital punishment in the most extreme cases. Some people are just better off being put out of their misery than recycled through the system.

quote:

Gene - I feel sorry for the victim as well.

I do too.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 482
Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noticed how similar the expression on his face was to KKs. You know, that glum, kinda pouty, "got caught wit my hand in the cookie jar" kinda expression.

Chrissy_snow
Username: Chrissy_snow

Post Number: 360
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember that visual comparison someone did of Abraham and KK, over in the Mayor Scandal forum? It was so ironic, and sadly, funny.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 517
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You kind of knew Abraham would be going back into the system at some point. He would say things that people wanted to hear so that they would want to help them. However looking at his actions you knew the street hustle was still there. He is going to have to make a decision as to how he wants to live his life.

As far as the job of our prisons are concerned. You can't make somebody re-habilitate themselves. All you can do is make the services available.
We ask our institutions to do things they are really not equipt to do.

Our department of corrections is designed to house prisoners and keep them from escaping, and I would guess they do a pretty good job at that. Anything above and beyond that starts to put our correctional system at the limit of their effectiveness.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 210
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 6:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who gets the phat suit that he was given when he was released?
Seriously, he did a stupid thing after numerous people went out of their way to help him. Stupid actions like these result in consequences. Let him pay the consequence, then watch him repeat next time. Some people are just plain stupid.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2234
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The current prisoner storage system (as Turkeycall so eloquently named it) is not about rehabilitation, it's about perceived justice (someone has to pay). It's about revenge.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1811
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When he expressed a desire to be a rapper, and then chose that suit to make his exit in, where were his "advisers," who should have said, "Nate, maybe not...you need to get a real job, and you're going to walk out here looking like a straight up citizen." They didn't do that, instead they enabled him in his fantasy of being a rapper and a player.

Ashdetroit
Username: Ashdetroit

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Abraham was mentored by the judge who sentenced him when he was 12. When he was released from prison, he was given aid to find a home, and I believe his tuition was paid for. Don't you remember everyone freaking out about that 2 years ago?
I think he got a second chance, and he completely fucked it up. I mean, sad, the guy probably had a terrible life, but he killed a man, and society didn't lock him up forever. If you get a second chance, plus help from the government, screw you if you decide to deal X instead.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those are the advisers I'm talking about, Judge Craig Strong, etc. They signed off on the suit, the "rapper" aspirations, etc.

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not just a failure of the prisons to rehabilitate (although this is a big part). At exit from the system, it becomes more complicated and there is plenty of "blame" to go around if that's what we are after. This all coming more from personal and professional observation than anything else. When people get out, they have (especially if they are relatively young) already adopted a "thug" mentality and persona as a part of surviving prison. They've also often already bought into a mentality that says life is supposed to be relatively easy. They've seen it in the "thug" fantasy on tv, but they've also lived it, in that they have not had to work inside, and maybe not ever. Combine that with a community in which there are no jobs and you are bound to have high recidivism rates - given the choice, employers will choose someone with no record over someone with a felony record; the court/parole system demands that the person pay off fines, restitution, etc.; the person can't find - or at least, can't quickly find, a "real" job and gets pretty angry and resentful; person then reverts to underground economy and the process starts over. I've become convinced that any attempt at "fixing" this situation would demand that all pieces be addressed. And, again, in this economy, its pretty unlikely to happen. Nothing, in my mind, excuses the behaviors - they are choices and we are all responsible for our choices. Yet, there are often few "right" choices realistically available in short time frames. Perhaps better preparation and planning are the answer, but that's something we'd have to build into the system and pay for. Again, unlikely in the current climate. Sorry if this sounds overly-negative, but I've seen both sides of the negative outcomes of negative choices.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 214
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People who choose to live like a thug should be treated like a thug. He chose to be a thug. I feel no sympathy for him.
Has the family of his victim been given their second chance?

Illwill
Username: Illwill

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ashdetroit,

I absolutely have to agree with you. This young man received a lot of support when he was released the first time. Especially after the crime that he committed. I think people felt bad and we wanted this young child to have a second chance at life. It would not have been right if we didn't give him a chance. However he screwed it up. unfortunately, boys will be boys and firstandten said it best..."He is going to have to make a decision as to how he wants to live his life."

It's completely up to him.

Ashdetroit
Username: Ashdetroit

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part of me does believe he didn't have a chance...how could you when you're killing that young, and then sent away for the rest of your childhood? How could that ever be corrected?
But there are a lot of offenders coming from Michigan's prisons who need the kind of help Nathaniel received. Some would do better with it--he shouldn't be the only prisoner to have those opportunities. And since he was singled out, it's a shame he wasted the help he was granted. His sponsors, and critics of juvenile reform, will think twice before offering this kind of aid to other felons.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.