Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Any news or old photos of Grand River-Greenfield? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 302
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone heard if there will ever be a renovation of that intersection?
The Montgomery Wards and Federals buildings really bring down the whole area. That neighborhood was part of the big seven but not much seems to be going on.
Also, anyone have any old personal photos of the area?
Kresage, Cunninghams, Meyers etc? Already seen the ones from the Ruether Library.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know Wards from Federals--both were long before my time--but one of those buildings (the cool-looking one on the NE corner) is occupied, at least on the ground floor, by a variety of small shops. I don't see how it "brings down the whole area" at all. If anything, it's Detroit's prettiest strip mall. The vacant Rite Aid on the opposite (SW) corner brings the area down much more, IMO.

The last few times I've been by there, the Walgreens across the street (NW corner) has had a large banner over the entrance reading "Welcome Rite-Aid Customers." That cracked me up.

Daddeeo

Post Number: 308
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the Federals building (on the SE side)is still boarded up right?
That looks like hell.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3933
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

it's Detroit's prettiest strip mall.

Actually, it was 7 Mile & Gratiot (which still had life well into the 90s).

It was the idiot suburban developer that ruined everything (IMO). I just hope Grand River/Greefield doesn't suffer the same fate. :-(

Jimb
Username: Jimb

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know if these are some of the ones you've seen already, but here's a couple of links:

http://www.city-data.com/forum /detroit/406946-grand-river-gr eenfield.html

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/24296.html

One of those has two thumbnail pictures that you click on to enlarge them. Pretty nice picture of the intersection with Federal and Wards clearly visible, another of Hughes-Hatcher-Suffrins. The other link has a couple of photos (scroll down to see all pics) taken from GR and Forrer, one in 77, one recently.

Daddeeo

Post Number: 345
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Federals Dept. Store in 70's

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 440
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the demolition of the empty Montgomery Wards at Schaefer and Michigan in East Dearborn, this former Monkey Wards becomes one of the last such indentifyable properties of theres on the region that I'm aware of. Hope something can come of that Federals, because as has been said, it's empty.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3900
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Strather & Associates was to develop this in what has been many years ago, now. The renderings were pretty impressive, and then it fell off the face of the earth. It was called Grand River Place, and it's still listed on Herb's website, though, it seems to haven't been updated in awhile.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 368
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was a Magic Johnson project that never materialized.

I remember waiting for the Greenfield Bus under cover of the awnings from both of those buildings.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.