Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Mitt Romney - Let Detroit Go Bankrupt » Archive through November 19, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5660
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ya know, during the primaries I thought he might be the one with enough inside knowledge

obviously not - he really was just playing on the homeboy connection

what a stain on the Romney name

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11 /19/opinion/19romney.html

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 848
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's amazing to me that people nationally don't get how destructive a meltdown of the domestic auto industry would be to our state economy and the national economy. I don't expect them to care about our state or our residents but the impact will be felt far beyond Michigan. Did anyone hear that twit David Littman on the radio this morning? He seemed to think that not only would the failure of the Big 3 be no big deal, it would probably be a good thing. He has this fantasy world view that the people who would lose their jobs through an implosion of the domestic auto industry would just pick up work elsewhere with "other auto companies". Of course, this guy used to work for Comerica so I guess I shouldn't expect anything more.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 547
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, while I am not sure that I fully agree with Romney's prescriptions, I do think that he presented a reasoned, intelligent alternative perspective.

And I think that his view still holds Detroit near and dear to his heart, and I believe he thinks that allowing bankruptcy will ultimately be the best for the American auto industry. (He basically says this.) Just because someone does not support a bailout does not mean they do not support Detroit.

Haikoont
Username: Haikoont

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Second, management as is must go. New faces should be recruited from unrelated industries — from companies widely respected for excellence in marketing, innovation, creativity and labor relations.

Didn't Ford just do that?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5661
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cman, anyone with a clue knows bankruptcy won't work.

As far as picking up work with "other auto companies," their product s currently backing up in the Cali ports.

(The one photo showing the notice to remove all outside protection by a certain date - does that mean the paint jobs are going to be screwed on these cars? That's my guess...)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11 /19/business/economy/19ports.h tml?hp

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 208
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 5:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Romney has made his fortune by picking businesses clean, shedding their employees, selling off what he can, then moving on.
Detroit is not "near and dear to his heart". He left and never looked back.
Nice hair and great clothes, though. Might qualify him for another run at the presidency.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3532
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is Bloomfield Hills that is "near and dear to his heart"

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2407
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Romney LEFT Michigan for Massachusetts and Utah. Why would anybody think Michigan and Michiganders are near and dear to his heart? And what makes you think he has a heart? He is as calculating as anyone gets.

Novine

Post Number: 850
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An even-handed take on the mess the Big 3 (and the US economy) is in:

http://seekingalpha.com/articl e/106809-should-gm-be-saved

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 2013
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While the title of his Op Ed is offensive, he makes several good recommendations. I do have to wonder what he means by "reducing the retiree burden" cyanide pills once you are no longer needed by your employer perhaps?

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2722
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That retiree thing bugs me, too. The people paid for their retirement in wage, benefit and retirement packages. Conceivably, the wages could have been higher if not for the retirement carrot. With that benefit, the companies bought loyalty and saved tons on recruitment and training over the life of the companies. The workers earned their benefits and have every right to enjoy them now.

Notice that Chrysler is absolutely determined to pay their execs the huge bonuses that they earned solely by their loyalty over a brief period of time. For the retirees, we are talking about 30+ years of loyalty each, payment for which has been built into the company structure. This company structure has saved the US government tons in health care and senior support services. Those costs are born by the governments of other companies.

Costs are less for foreign competitors because the companies lack the longevity of the Big 3. Once they have 60 years of retirees on their rolls, they will be suffering just as much. In their own countries, they don't have to worry about health care costs either, one of the main problems with the US employer backed system.

(Message edited by gazhekwe on November 19, 2008)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3628
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess you can speak with a looser tongue when you aren't still trying to keep your presidential bid alive by selling nostalgia...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9174
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he is off on the $2,000 difference per car on domestic vs. foreign. That WAS the case before the last labor agreement, it should have decreased afterwards. But he still raises a lot of good points. Not sure I agree with bankruptcy though.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 306
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His old man must be doing double back flips in his grave. Talk about stabbing the old home town folks in the back. I'm positive some people are sure glad they voted for him in the primary.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1639
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well...he should have thought that this was going to bite him in the ass in 2012...the auto-companies aren't just Michigan...if any go bankrupt and 500k+ are unemployed...Don't expect much love from Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, and Illinois...not to mention the residual losses in Pennsylvania due to lower steal production. Goodyear and Michelin as well as Firestone would see a huge drop in production...

If the Auto Industry fails...then we will REALLY see trickle down economics...

Cambrian

Post Number: 2014
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know two people recently forced into retirement at GM, both in thier mid 50s. How can these companies go on crying they have too much retiree burden when they keep offering retirement packages en masse all while they are still actively recruiting new hires to fill On Star jobs? Talk about dumb management.

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I kind of see Romney's point. Why throw money at a poorly run operation? I don't know that bankruptcy is the answer, though.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2013
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Mitt is saying is not earth shattering stuff. There has been a lot done to address these issues. He seems to gloss over the VEBAs, the pay scale for new workers, and the massive cost of having to meet last year's energy bill ($100 Billion of which the govt loan would cover $25 billion of).

The credit crunch, the forced energy standards are all an act of whom? The US Govt sticking its nose in and micromanaging the auto industry. All this crap about "Well you guys make Escalades and that is bad because you should be making cars like Toyota or Mercedes" Toyota Sequioa is not exactly the poster child for the kind of cars we should be making. Heck even Escalade comes in a Hybrid, does the Toyota Monster truck?

How Mitt is saying it is surprising. Its almost as if he has no idea that anything has happened in Detroit since the 1950's. AMC is gone and the company that absorbed it is on its last legs. He displays his credentials as "my daddy...." Well my dad learned to use a slide rule back in the 50's, that don't make me an expert at using a slide rule.

Cambrian

Post Number: 2015
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah "the building too many escalades" remark burns my butt too. How many of these senators have owned or ridden in a Suburban for thier work details? They should be criticized for their actions 10 years ago for not leading by example and selecting practical four cylinder cars. If the big three did not fill the demand for trucks, who would have? The never do wrong foreign car companies, thats who.

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's amazing that some of you just read the headline and think he's suggesting the auto industry just die. Au contraire, quote Romney, "We won't let these companies go away. We won't have the industry disappear. We want to make sure to take advantage of the opportunity right now to get them restructured properly so they can be viable long term."

He simply believes that bankruptcy is actually the best avenue toward that. This way, the auto makers can shed their current union obligations, which are a huge part of the problem.

My source for the quote:
http://politicalticker.blogs.c nn.com/2008/11/19/romney-let-d etroit-go-bankrupt/

Novine

Post Number: 852
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you going to buy a car from a bankrupt automaker? We might as well say the solution is to build flying cars if the solution isn't going to work.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10523
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One word describes Romney. Cunt.

Swimmaven
Username: Swimmaven

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am amazed at the acrimony of opinions in the national sphere over this issue; especially the workers wages.

Unions need to be revamped, but I wish there were more unions in places like retail and professional positions. Corporations have trampled employees civil rights and it is now out of control. When it is exclusively about the bottom line, then everything else suffers: Employees, customers, quality, warranties, etc.

Why is it that top management, especially in the banking industry, can keep their bonus's, stock options and yachts, but everyone is screaming that auto workers are compensated too much? Auto workers have decent jobs. That is what any person with skills in the US should make. Not the $15 or $20 an hour like in the japanese plants. That is just a living wage.

Unions take the fear away when working in a corporation, as well. That is big. Very, very big.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1640
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we should boycott amway...

I think someone's magic underwear is in a bunch

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nice hair and great clothes, though. Might qualify him for another run at the presidency.

Not to mention those sexy magic underpants!

George Romney built things and created jobs; Mittens shuffles paper and eliminates jobs.

(Message edited by sknutson on November 19, 2008)

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1703
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fallacy of the "GM should solve its problems in bankruptcy" idea is that it assumes two things:

1. GM can obtain Debtor-In-Possession financing in order for it to go into chapter 11;

2. People will buy cars and trucks from an automaker which is in chapter 11.

I don't know for sure that either or both of these is false, but if either is false, then GM cannot enter bankruptcy and successfully exit it. What bugs me is that I haven't heard anyone discuss these questions. Every commentator either assumes both assumptions are valid or assumes they aren't, without attempting to justify.

These are, I think, very critical things to analyze.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9309
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not that I always like the guy by any stretch but nice to see L. Brooks Patterson telling him he's way off base. Not that LBP seems to have a much better solution detailed out just yet, but methinks Mitt is a bit off base on his commentary here.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 559
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rich, spoiled, right wing, nut case. 'I got mine, too bad for you!'

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3631
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He simply believes that bankruptcy is actually the best avenue toward that. This way, the auto makers can shed their current union obligations, which are a huge part of the problem.

Honestly, I got about halfway through his op-ed before I got sick of hearing Mitt Romney's voice in my head. He did make some good points before I stopped reading. What I didn't see him say anything about was the possibility that if the automakers do go into bankruptcy, they might not be able to secure the credit in this environment to continue funding their business operations.

That is the real threat, not that they will have to go into bankruptcy, but what type of bankruptcy they will have to go into. From the tone coming out of Detroit, it sounds like at least GM and Chrysler have each explored the prospect of a bankruptcy reorganization and come to the conclusion that they would not be able to secure the capital needed to continue operating. If this is the case then they would have to liquidate their assets and close the door if they do not receive the funds from the government.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3632
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess me and the professor are sharing the same thoughts today...

quote:

The fallacy of the "GM should solve its problems in bankruptcy" idea is that it assumes two things:

1. GM can obtain Debtor-In-Possession financing in order for it to go into chapter 11;

2. People will buy cars and trucks from an automaker which is in chapter 11.

I don't know for sure that either or both of these is false, but if either is false, then GM cannot enter bankruptcy and successfully exit it. What bugs me is that I haven't heard anyone discuss these questions. Every commentator either assumes both assumptions are valid or assumes they aren't, without attempting to justify.