Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Hamtramck Polish food... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This afternoon I plan to head down to Hamtramck to do some shopping. One of the things I'm looking for are pierogies (plum specifically) and I need some advice on where the best place is to purchase them. Also depending on what time we get down there we might get a bite to eat so I'm looking for a good Polish restaurant.

I plan to take my kids to see the pope statue so that's the area will be at. Some place close to that area would be preferable. Thanks for any help.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3715
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Polish Market is right there on Jos. Campau, although it's easier to park and shop at Bozek's on Caniff near Gallagher.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 426
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skip Polish Markets Pierogies. I suggest you try Stans on Campau north of Caniff. But definitely check out Polish Market while in town. Dont forget to stop buy Hamtramck Disneyland

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have plum pierogis? I'm trying to picture how those would taste. They sound rather bizarre.

Norwalk

Post Number: 427
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pits and all Bear just like grandma used to make

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 796
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Polish Village Restaurant is on Yemens, about a block away from Pope Park. The food is yummy
http://www.polishvillagecafe.n et/

We've shopped at Stan's Grocery on Jos. Campau near and Caniff (11325 Joseph Campau. Good selection of meat, pickles, and other Polish products.

(313) 365-1165

Everything mentioned is easily walking distance, hope it helps :-)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3717
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have plum at Bozek's. I'm pretty new to fruit pierogies, but I've been trying them recently. Always wondered about those. Fried cherry pierogies remind me of a McD's cherry pie. :-)

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I'll have to add that to my list of Things I Need To Try One Of These Days. I'm curious now.

Wykkidx
Username: Wykkidx

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Without a doubt Polish Village, that place is great. My only suggestion would be to try and be early to Polish Village like when they first open, other wise depending on the time you might have a wait. Usually when we hit there we are waiting in the parking lot for them to open, by the time we leave there is a line waiting for a table.

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 503
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh, its good american polish food but definitely not polish. if you prefer real polish food the only place to find it is poland or make it yourself. my polish ex was very disappointed in hamtramck.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 612
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to Polonia. It's across the parking lot from Polish Village on Yemen. Best duck soup (czarnina) in town

Norwalk

Post Number: 428
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the Polish restaurants in Hamtramck ar Excellent!!!

Englishkills
Username: Englishkills

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Norwalk: Is the Norwalk bar still operating in Hamtramck? Are you somehow affiliated? Sorry if it's been discussed, I'm new here. That place was one of my favorites from my time in Detroit.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Eh, its good american polish food but definitely not polish. if you prefer real polish food the only place to find it is poland or make it yourself. my polish ex was very disappointed in hamtramck.

Every time there is a thread about ethnic food, regardless of the ethnicity in question, someone who once knew someone of that ethnicity feels the need to chime in with this exact post, modified for whatever ethnicity it is they're talking about. Can we just take it for granted that no American ethnic food ever tastes ANYTHING like the real thing, move on, and let the 99.9% of us who will never go to any of these countries just enjoy our goddamn fake ethnic food? Authentic or not, Polish Village is damn good.
PS. The Dakota Inn's food is NOTHING like real German food. Don't ever eat there. :-)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3726
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel a Polish joke coming on.

Q: How did they pick the last pope?
A: They took a Pole. :-)

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 426
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

just enjoy our goddamn fake ethnic food

that is really funny

Englishkills
Username: Englishkills

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unless something is completely wrong, I really don't see why the Polish food in Hamtramck would not be comparable to Polish food in Poland.

I'm Polish, have been there many times and I generally find Polish food in Polish neighborhoods in the States to be pretty much the same as in Poland.

Take Greenpoint, Brooklyn for example. Polish delis and restaurants on every corner in some areas. The cheap Polish food here is the same as a meal consisting of the same ingredients in Poland. The people preparing the food in the neighborhood speak Polish, come from Poland and know how to cook the meals.

Also, take it from a Polock, Polish food is some of the cheapest easiest food to make anywhere. As long as Hamtramck shops continue to import all of the basic ingredients just about anyone can cook the stuff up.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 319
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is the Norwalk bar still operating in Hamtramck?"

No, it's been closed for over five years.

Norwalk

Post Number: 429
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No English the Norwalk bar is at the end of my street hence the name. I went there 1 time after I bought my house the next time I went it was closed and has been closed every since. I do recall Eddy the bar keep and it seems everything was $1.00.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 488
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Also, take it from a Polock, Polish food is some of the cheapest easiest food to make anywhere. As long as Hamtramck shops continue to import all of the basic ingredients just about anyone can cook the stuff up.

Englishkills, you've got to watch using the word "Polock" there's a lurker skirting around the edges of these Forums just waiting for someone to use that word so they can let you know how offended they are that you used that word and that something should be done about people using those kinds of pejorative words on these Forums. How do I know that? I used that word "Polack", ooops there I said it again and I didn't mean to, and felt the slimy twinges of guilt for offending someone's sensibilities.

(Message edited by mortalman on November 20, 2008)

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 2028
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've not been to Hamtramack for polish food since I went to Zosha's or the Round Bar with my folks as a kid. I gotta get back and try these places you people are recommending. For good west side polish eats try the Golden Skillet in Redford and the Pierogi stand on Five Mile in Livonia, Lila's I think?

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 489
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been going to all these Polish restaurants everybody is talking about in Hamtramck on this thread for years. But, I have to say for all around experience I find Witchcraft Krakus Bar & Restaurant at 12900 Joseph Campau St., Detroit, MI, 48212. (313) 368- 8599 to be the best. It's on the Detroit side of Jos. Campau between Meade and Cody Sts. The food is great, generous portions, authentic Polish cuisine, fast service, the best prices and a full stocked bar cheaper than any of the other Polish Palaces. One of the knocks is that the waitress and her name escapes me now is dour. But, I find that people that have that opinion of her don't know her and that once you get to know her she's got a great, dry sense of humor and is an excellent waitress. I've got a menu around here somewhere that I'll try to find and post it if I can.

Rjk

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We went to Polish Market and at the suggestion of someone we talked to while standing in line we headed over to Polonia. Unfortunately no plum pierogies at PM but we did pick up quite a few other things including some different kinds of pierogies . We also got a chance to see the 31st district court as we stopped in to pay a 5$ fine for our meter running out.

Plum pierogies are the best in my opinion. They were a staple at Sunday dinner at my grandmothers house when I was growing up. They're almost too good, I could go through them like they're going out of style.

Cycledetroit
Username: Cycledetroit

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is the Norwalk bar still operating in Hamtramck?"

In highschool we spend many weekends with Eddie. HE never checked ID, and always had good stories.
The bar is still up for sale.

Alley

Post Number: 797
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved that place!

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Englishkills, you've got to watch using the word "Polock" there's a lurker skirting around the edges of these Forums just waiting for someone to use that word so they can let you know how offended they are that you used that word and that something should be done about people using those kinds of pejorative words on these Forums. How do I know that? I used that word "Polack", ooops there I said it again and I didn't mean to, and felt the slimy twinges of guilt for offending someone's sensibilities."

Since you are clearly ignorant, Polak means Polish man in Polish. Thus in speaking Polish it is totally neutral. Polack is an Anglicized spelling of it. And in such context it was usually used to put down Polish people. Which doesn't seem to bother you. And you know what? You're a dupa.

Alley

Post Number: 798
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And you know what? You're a dupa."
lOL

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7528
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

German's make their own version of plum pierogies. My mother used to make what Germans call "Qweckschte Knödel" (sp?)... ie Plum Dumplings.

She hasn't made it in 10 years because it brings on guaranteed heartburn.

I was just at the Polish Market today (I stop by there every week now)... they have crusty rolls that are 100% like the German "Brötchen", fresh breakfast rolls served throughout Germany. These even have the same split top.

I've spent years looking for a Brötchen knockoff, and finally found them! :-)

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 362
Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now THAT's funny. Michigan Lottery should pick this game up.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Under the eagle has a great combination plate for cheap!

Norwalk

Post Number: 430
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok are those the rolls that are 3 for a $1.00? Those are awesome I stop on my way home at least 3 times a week for those. They are usually warm and make my car smell so good

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3737
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the scuttlebutt I've heard, Norwalk being for sale is the biggest joke ever. Why? I heard they sold their liquor license already, and they STILL want big bucks for the bar. If that's true, why ask so much for the place? Who's going to buy a bar in Hamtramck without a liquor license, when the locals already think having more than 70 sale licenses in 2 square miles is too much.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 365
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's probably in the running for the next Mosque or Yemeni social club. Right size and location.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3739
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of which, anybody see all the work they're doing on Holbroook Cafe? What's up with that?

Norwalk

Post Number: 433
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

grocery store and copy center

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3743
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another grocery store? I'm in heaven. :-)

Rjk

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Wikipedia the Polish population in Hamtramck is at 22.9%. I would have guessed that it would have been a little higher than that.
Out of curiosity does anyone know what the Polish population in Hamtramck was say 20 years ago?

Also Hamtramck increased in population by 25% from 1990 to 2000. Was there a certain group of people that accounted for this increase and did the city have some sort of plan to increase the population?

Townonenorth

Post Number: 366
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might be interested in this thesis paper by Johnathan Zajac concerning the city of Hamtramck. The increase was due to 6000 "non whites" from the 1990 to 2000 census. Of these, 895 were Black.

http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/ bitstream/2027.42/58629/4/zaja c-importance_polish.pdf

Rjk

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Thanks.
It looks like a good and interesting read.

Putnam
Username: Putnam

Post Number: 137
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Polonia
http://www.cloverleafwine.com/ forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=266 2&p=21610#p21610

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have Lila's Pierogi's here in Livonia on Five Mile and Inkster Road. Lila was born in Warsaw and makes an assortment of pierogi's - even scrambled egg and bacon, roast beef and cheddar and plum pierogi's (but those come out in mid-Spring only).

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mad-Respect & Major-Kudos for the People of Poland.
Last night, I watched a special on PBS - much detail on the many crimes of Hitler & his henchmen upon Poland, specifically Warsaw.

God Bless Poland!

(Message edited by chuckjav on November 25, 2008)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7561
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you talking about the 2 or 3 hour PBS special on WWII and plundered artwork and destroyed cultural heritage? The Americans did a number on Italy in that series. Unlike the Poland tragedy, the American destruction was unfortunate, but probably necessary.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 796
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another vote for Under the Eagle.
If you want interesting decor and acceptable chow, go to Polish Village..but if you want REALLY good food and "atmosphere" is secondary, go to Under the Eagle.

Rjk

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^I took some out of town relatives to UTE this past weekend. The food was very good.

Just a quick question about Hamtramck.
In reference to the SW corner of Holbrook and JC what was there prior to that strip mall? If I recall correctly wasn't that the spot that the Pope said mass? Was that area part of Dodge Main?

Edziu
Username: Edziu

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a commercial strip just like the one north of holbrook. I can recall the original Port bar, a shoe shine parlor and a Florsheims. The mistake the city made and now regrets is that they allowed the strip mall to be recessed as opposed to having the building closer to JC and the sidewalk. There used to be parking behind the original buildings. It just doesn't flow like the section north of Holbrook. That intersection was and still is considered the heart of the city. Tak jest!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2320
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time I was in Hamtramck for Polish food was at Kitty's Kitchen in Swinging City.

Tacoaficionado
Username: Tacoaficionado

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best Polish restaurant in town is located in Southwest Detroit, on the corner of Central and Michigan Ave - Starlight Diner. Tomato gravy so good it makes grandma look like an amateur!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4932
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taco, it IS good there. They have great pierogi, too.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.