Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Big 3 on ABC: Asking for Billions, Flying on Corp Jets » Archive through November 19, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2803
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Also, the blame ultimately goes to American consumers for shopping at Wal-Mart and purchasing Toyota Camrys.

Shifting the blame as always. It has nothing to do with what they buy, it has to do with why they buy.

Nothing more American then shifting blame.

quote:

I understand enough to know the automakers are losing their ass, and none are worth the paper their paychecks are printed on.

Fixed it for ya.

(Message edited by _sj_ on November 19, 2008)

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 2017
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm surprised that nobody has made mention of the Lexus that Alan Mullaly is driving in that video..."

That is interesting, I have no sound here but from the footage it looks like he is entering the car after he departed the plane, perhaps the Lexus is what was provided to him in DC?

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 925
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

16. Subaru- Nothing.

At the time, GM owned 40% in Fuji Heavy Industries.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3634
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That is interesting, I have no sound here but from the footage it looks like he is entering the car after he departed the plane, perhaps the Lexus is what was provided to him in DC?

Probably. But it's the perfect irony. You're the CEO of Ford and being lambasted for flying in on a private jet. Yet, none of those east coast elites makes a mention of you driving to the congressional hearing in a foreign luxury car to plead for the saving of your domestic car manufacturing company. Heh.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2016
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can understand the corporate jet, I just can't understand why they didn't carpool (jetpool?)there! They will all be leaving and coming back at the same time and could have used the time in the jet to check notes and get on the same page.

Who knows, they can learn something from each other!

_sj_

Post Number: 2804
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

An interesting commentary.

You might find this of interest:

'CNN Headline News did a short news listing regarding Ford and GM's
contributions to the relief and recovery efforts in New York and
Washington.

Gullible much?

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wash man: "Most Camrys sold in the U.S. are built in the U.S. therefore employing thousands of tax paying citizens. On the other hand, many "domestics" like the popular Ford Fusion and Chevrolet Impala are built outside our borders. Employing our citizens trumps the name plate in my opinion."

You couldn't be wrong if you tried. Stop at a Toyota dealership and read the sales label. Camrys are built in Toyota City, JAPAN with 100% JAPANESE PARTS. The "American made" Camry, the ones from Kentucky, are built with all Jap parts. This whole notion of to justify the purchase of a foreign car just because it was assembled in the USA is completely wrong! The Camry was designed and manufactured in Japan. By your definition Wash man, is a Barbie doll American or Chinese? It is designed in America, but assembled in China. And before you do, I am well aware of the fact that GM, Ford, and Chrysler build cars in Mexico and Canada. The fact is when you buy a Camry the profits go back to Tokyo. You cannot buy a Chevrolet in Japan so we in turn should not allow these Jap and other foreign cars to be sold with in our borders. Any American who drives a foreign car is nothing but a relative Benedict Arnold in eyes. I am well aware of the fact that almost everything we have is assembled in another country. But we have a choice with cars.

Cambrian

Post Number: 2019
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Probably. But it's the perfect irony. You're the CEO of Ford...."

I think it speaks volumes of his personality. Some in DC are calling for a house cleaning in the management ranks whom would be replaced by Detroit outsiders. Both Mulally and Nardelli are outsiders who could care less about Detroit, we don't need more outsiders. We need people who are passionate about the core business; making and selling innovative, world class cars.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5672
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Identify the Lexus model, please.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 5259
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't know of a car rental agency at National Airport that has Lexuses. Maybe he got his "special".

I guess a cab ride would have been too inconvenient, huh? Eh, who cares? It's not like Mulally is paying for it out of his pocket, right?

Cambrian

Post Number: 2020
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Identify the Lexus model, please."

Looks like a 2006 LS 430

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3635
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think it speaks volumes of his personality. Some in DC are calling for a house cleaning in the management ranks whom would be replaced by Detroit outsiders. Both Mulally and Nardelli are outsiders who could care less about Detroit, we don't need more outsiders.

I dunno. I think Mulally should stay. From what I have seen, he's done a pretty good job with Ford, although his accomplishments are being drowned out by things not under his control. Didn't the quality ratings improve drastically under his tenure? Let's also not forget that Ford was on the verge of bankruptcy two years ago, but are now in the best position financially of all the domestic car makers. But it is a shame that they didn't mandate he move to Detroit.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 5261
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But it is a shame that they didn't mandate he move to Detroit.

That one's easy to solve. Start making him pay for the mileage to Seattle and back on the corporate jet.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3727
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he doesn't then the company declares the cost of the trip to the IRS as executive compensation. That goes for any private use of corporate jets by employees or their families.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 390
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems to me that when people say things like "you have no understanding of the industry," it means not that they have such understanding themselves, but that they have a lot of deference to certain authorities, and an emotional investment in how things are now or always have been. It is an opening argument misused as a rhetorical club.

_sj_

Post Number: 2806
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Any American who drives a foreign car is nothing but a relative Benedict Arnold in eyes

Just as you were went you bought that foreign computer, cell phone, television, microwave, etc.

Just like the guy told the people protesting for the bailout, you are doing more harm than good with your arrogance.

quote:

The fact is when you buy a Camry the profits go back to Tokyo.

And alas you couldn't be more wrong, just as it would be wrong to say that the profits from American car company stay here.

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to Packard, Studebaker, Hudson, and so on?

Perhaps history is being repeated with Ford,GM and Chrysler.

Maybe it time to move on, a new company will rise from the ashes and the cycle will be repeated.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1813
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sj,

The profits on a Toyota go back to its corporate home in Tokyo.

If you feel you don't agree with that, do share exactly how you think it works.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5676
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gene, the US is pissing away its future. Today the company that fills the void won't be American.

The Bush administration is proving Lenin correct.

"The Capitalists will sell us the rope with which we will hang them."

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 864
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounded during the hearings today like the politicians were saying, "We have this queesy feeling because we're starting to realize we just blew 700 billion without giving it a thought and we have no idea why or where it went so we're not sure we can help you no matter how much more sense this measly 25 billion makes."

Gene

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being a former ASFME steward its hard to face the reality of the greed of the UAW and stupidity of the big three for giving away the future of the auto industry as we know it today. As Reverend Wright stated "the chickens are coming home to roost".

Nothing has been left for future generations of auto workers.

I would say that the UAW , not Bush has proved Lenin correct.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 308
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

401don, I agree. They kept comparing them to AIG and they haven't even gotten ANYTHING yet.

Also, I heard over and over from the inquisitors, "I wasn't here, so forgive me if my questions are redundant" and then followed by something like "but, hey, YOU'RE THE ONES asking for money", or, "but, 25 billion for a few hours isn't all that bad of a deal, is it?"

They ignore the hearing until they're up and then come prancing in.

If I was chairing and heard that, I'd cut them off; times up. Then, I'd remind them that most of us WERE there for the whole hearing and BTW, they are asking the same questions that were answered 10 minutes ago, stop wasting our fucking time. If they have nothing new to add, then sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up.

(sorry, it was just really pissing me off :-))

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 480
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think some are missing the point. I think we would all agree that CEOs make/spend too much, but the question here is: Is it fair to hold the Big3 execs to a different standard than the bailed-out Wall Street execs?

Gene

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think its fair to the taxpayers footing the bill.

Yea the Wall street bail-out was a big mistake, so what your saying Retroit is lets not learn from our mistakes and piss away some more money?

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 482
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, what I'm saying is "Let's be fair!" I was not in favor of the Wall Street bailouts, but the precedence has been established and all must be held to the same standard.

Gene

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So fair is business as usual. Obscene pay,perks,etc.,while we foot the bill, no way.

Didn't your mother teach you that life is not fair?

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 309
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that the execs make waaay too much money. I read a USA today article (disclaimer: it was a 2006 publication, [but still]) that stated Toyota's top 37 execs make about 21 million combined. I'm pretty sure that's close to what Mulally (alone) made last year.

It's not just disparity when it comes to labor, as everyone is quick to point out, there is a lot of disparity in executive wages and perks too.

I think it was also Mulally that said he was not willing to give up any of his compensation. Yet, he expects the taxpayers to sacrifice for his company!

I believe it was Wagner that said he was willing to take the $1.00 a year salary.

Based on today's hearings, (if I understand the facts correctly :-)) I would give GM a loan and show Ford the door. I'm still iffy with Chrysler.

Gene

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thames, I to was amazed at Mulally today, It seems he is not willing to share the wealth, so to speak, after all who does he think he is a pro athlete?

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 866
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually it was Nardelli who said he would accept $1 while Wagner said he had already agreed to a 50% salary cut and was not prepared to comment further today.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1816
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why didn't we hear about the private jets that the heads of AIG and other Wall Street tycoons flew in on?