Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Rant on economy and crime « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 368
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 6:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bad economy has already provided for an upswing in crime. We are supposed to attend a forum on this issue in an adjacent community. Today, we heard that a friend in West Village was beaten almost to death, his house ransacked and robbed. Interestingly, it was Seventh Day Adventists that discovered the crime. They mounted the porch, saw the door open, a house ransacked and our friend on the floor. They called the police. The violence of the robbery is very disturbing. It does seem strange that there was a strong juxaposition between good and evil. Those ladies preaching God may have saved his life. We will know more about his condition tommorrow. God bless those ladies.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2423
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jesus! which street? I hope he comes through ok

(Message edited by gravitymachine on November 21, 2008)

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have noticed an increasing number of door-to-door solicitors in the area (south suburban Dayton). The following advice is universal:

1. Do not open your door for anyone that you don't recognize.

2. Purchase a Ruger sidearm (9mm, semi-auto)

3. Post a placard on front & back door "no solicitors - homeowner is armed"

You Will Do Just Fine

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 4033
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pray your friend will be okay.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of ranting on the economy; have a look at this story....and then try really, really hard to cry a river for anyone "hurt" by falling prices.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27 823694/

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 947
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas, I'm praying for your friend. *hug*

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You probably don't want to tell us exactly where this was, but it is worrisome to be sure. I have family in Indian Village, and close friends in the West Village. After a long period of declining or low crime it seems that things have gotten worse in the neighborhood in recent years. Which, given the level of chaos and desperation spreading throughout the city and the area in the wake of economic collapse should come as no surprise I guess. But damn...

The Seventh Day Adventist and Jehovah's Witness folks who come by, although they sure can be aggravating ringing your bell on a weekend morning, are on the side of good in city neighborhoods. I've worked with them on neighborhood councils, in city government, etc., and found almost all of them to be good people who were a part of the folks holding out hope and putting up the good fight through some very dire situations.

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Car break-ins in the CBD garages and lots are on the upswing this month too. Be careful of what you leave in your vehicles while working.

Ndmom
Username: Ndmom

Post Number: 199
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has been quite an increase in home break-ins on far northeast side of Detroit - Hillcrest and Lannoo. But I just don't think these people are robbing to feed their families. These are young 'men' coming into houses and taking what they can carry out. Drug money? I don't know but I don't believe they rob to take care of a family.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2104
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Speaking of ranting on the economy; have a look at this story....and then try really, really hard to cry a river for anyone "hurt" by falling prices

Falling prices are "good" for consumers paying cash but keep in mind that everyone who is making payments on a mortgage, loan or credit card debt will be hurt by deflation. From the article:

When inflation is rampant, you get to pay back the $1,000 you borrowed last year with dollars that are worth a little less each year.

That debtor advantage is turned upside down if deflation takes hold. As prices fall, the spending power of your money goes up. But so does the real value of your debt — because you have to pay it back with money that has increased in real value.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 3118
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And with continuing Deflation, Your boss may not be able to charge enough to cover your wages. Deflation leads to Paycuts and huge job losses.

Rone
Username: Rone

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What block of west village did this happen?

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 645
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know but I don't believe they rob to take care of a family.

I agree. I've heard of several instances around my neighborhood where burglars have stolen children's clothes. At first I felt a *little* bad, because kids gotta have clothes, but then I found out they were going after brand-new designer stuff. These proud, proud folks would rather steal (and terrorize their neighbors) than stoop to Goodwill or Salvation Army for their kids. Screw them.
Regardless of the economy, I think most of the thieves around here aren't looking for sustenance as much as drugs and shiny things.

Sumas, I hope your friend is OK, and I hope this is an isolated incident.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holler....just because folks are stealing childrens' clothing - doesn't mean needy children are part of the equation.
Thieves fence gently-used clothing, right along with other items.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2260
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I send my sympathies Sumas. :-(

As to crime; down and out parents are one scenario. Those who will rob for shiny things are just their kids eventually grown...lost and confused.

No point, just a different view.

Furnitureguy
Username: Furnitureguy

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just watch "Bet" to see what your neighbors are looking to steal from you, they have it all listed and displayed 24 hours a day!

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 646
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True dat. So far, my somewhat successful strategy to avoid getting robbed is to just not have anything the knuckleheads want. I haven't worn, driven or pulled from my purse anything shiny in years.

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in the Lafeyette Park area right by the Dequindre Cut, and my neighbor had all of his rims stolen off his Cadillac...with cameras watching.

Sorry for your friend and I hope he recovers. Hope this economy turns around soon.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 407
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Det7mile, What kind of cameras are you talking about? Did this happen in Lafayette Towers parking lot? We are thinking about putting in security cameras but everyone says it's too expensive.

Bsu
Username: Bsu

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here in Berkley we have seen a increase in door-to-door solicitors. I had one guy come in my back yard looking to give me a free estimate on home improvement needs. However, he couldn't give me any product specifics or any names at the company he represented. He had a clipboard with 2 fliers on it(the kind of fliers companies leave in stacks where ever they can). He had no ID and no stationary or even an estimate sheet. This guy argued with me for several minutes to let him in my house so he could write my FREE estimate. I tried to be nice at first but he started getting aggressive. Then I tossed the flier he gave me in the garbage and told him to get off my property or I'll call the police. This finally convinced him to leave, but he actually reached in the garbage can and took his flier back. This guy was wearing jeans that hung so low he had to keep pulling them up while he was talking to me, and a ball cap tilted to the side with the original tags still attached. I did call my neighbors who all shot him down. They told me he was just as aggressive with them. I know he was trying to do. Don't let these people in your home!

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 508
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good work, Bsu. Another thing to keep in mind, folks, is if these people approach you in the back yard, try to walk them around to the front or to a place where you will be more visible to the neighbors or "passerbyers".

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gianni,

No this happened in the Hyde Park townhomes area right in the middle of all those co ops....on the other side of the DC from Layfayette Towers.

And I'm not sure the kind of cameras but they have them posted on the light posts around the parking lot.

Sumas

Post Number: 369
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 6:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for concerns expressed for our friend. Don't yet have an update on his condition but will post an update later today. The location in West Village was VanDyke, close to Jefferson. The sheer brutality of this crime still stuns me. I don't want people to panic however. He had had a house guest (now dead)who probably did consort with nasty ie drug people. So maybe this crime was related to that. I guess the message is be careful about who you let into your lives and home. As mentioned, on a different thread, we had a babysitter, a nice honest lady, who had bad judgement and let her friends and relatives into our home (unbeknownst to us)which resulted in numerous thefts against us and our property.

My message I guess is, don't be paranoid but do be careful about who you let into your life.

As mentioned before, I am a landscape/gardener. An elderly customer gave my partner and me a tour of his home. He really should not have done that, we know we are honest but he should not have been so trusting. I don't like to do long posts. This is longer than most, so I am going to do a second post about security issues.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retroit & others....regarding the advice of walking solicitors to the front of your home:
A common technique of criminal-types is to work in tandem; one or more will distract your attention - keeping you occupied - while partner(s) gain entry to your home. The attempted point of entry (front or back) simply depends upon where the solicitor finds you.

With that in-mind, get rid of those people quickly - watch where they go...call police.
Don't worry about "bothering" the authorities; your information could be the tip/lead they've been hoping for.

Sumas

Post Number: 370
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to a community crime prevention committee meeting Friday. A couple good things were mentioned. 1.) Under the new administration, they plan to go back to precincts 2.) the new commander is reviewing the "disabled" list. Many of the officers will be recalled for desk jobs freeing up more officers to patrol.

Retroit

Post Number: 525
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And don't open the door for anyone. Just look through the window, shake your head no, then turn away and start barking in the lowest voice possible.

Dieseldog
Username: Dieseldog

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my personal favorites is the "salesman" who offers you a free home security system. I confronted one and asked why his company would spend the time to send agents on so many cold calls and if the cold calls produced any R.o.i. When he looked at me with a blank stare and responded "what security you got?" I politely told him to get the phuck out of my neighborhood. It has been about a year now but the same old scam has re-emerged. My wife dealt with them this time. She was not so polite.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retroit....I like your style.

I would add - in a loud voice - "damnit, Bubba; will you stop waving that gun around...it's just another salesman".

Sumas

Post Number: 372
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who asked, our friend is still in a coma. He looks more like himself. 40 staples in his head after surgery to drain blood on the brain. He was beaten mostly around the head. Apparently, comas are graded from 1 to 15. He is a 7. 50/50 he comes to with any faculties. A neighbor came forward to say a stranger was on their porch but they didn't open the door. Possibly a link to this crime. Police also said, this crime most likely will not be solved. Sigh!!!

Also told that relatives far and near are demanding entry to the house to plunder what they can. He isn't dead yet folks!

The situation begs for some kind of moral distinction/judgement. The thief that tried to kill him versus kin that he disavowed years ago trying to pick his carcass. Fotunately, we are close enough to the situation to know particulars but far enough away to not be in any controversy regarding his assets.

Nine relatives showed up to pick the bones from his home. They were refused access by his executor. Not one of those vultures went to his hospital bed. Total strangers have expressed sympathy and concern. His family, blood kin, showed just greed. Thank you for your kind thoughts and wishes. We hope to be able to post good news soon.

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas I'm so disturbed to hear about what happen to your friend.
I hope the best for his recovery.

Retroit

Post Number: 545
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like the relatives may have been behind the initial break-in!

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 499
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

relatives = vultures when some one just died. Funny thing, you wont see them for years, but so help me, let some one die and they come out like the cock roaches that they are ......

I just went thru something similiar, and to the day I die, I can honestly say relatives are dispicible when it comes to money and death.....

I once saw a bumper sticker that said

"The more people I get to know, the more I love my dog"

How true.......... Jane

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 206
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane, relatives may be vultures or cock roaches for you, but not everyone's family is like yours.

Sumas

Post Number: 375
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a very close friend who died suddenly a few years ago, I still miss her greatly. Her husband had died several years previously and they had no children. She had designated two heirs not related. She called them her "young people". Her estate while not vaste was not contemptible. She had one sister who was quite wealthy. She and her sister had not been on good terms for years. The sister fought the will and the end result was her intended benneficiaries got little to nothing. Spite can be as evil as greed.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Money brings out the worst in people. even the PROSPECT of money or nice things brings out the worst. It also seems the more estranged someone is from their family, the worse they are. Closer families also present this issue, but not as bad.

Sad, sad, sad.

We are currently trying to buy a house in Indian Village... I also hope this is an isolated incident.

Sumas, hope we'll get the opportunity to meet you and your partner.

Sumas

Post Number: 376
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D duo, hope your sale goes well. Indian Village is a great community. I am a Detroit resident and a Detroit supporter. Any Detroiter can give you bad tales, including me. Be ready to be strong and be wary. Non Detroiters love to bash our city, but this Detroiter knows that most residents are amazing people, full of love and life. I envy your ability to buy into Indian Village. So much history and such beautiful homes.

We belong to numerous civic and/or charitable organizations in the city. The people/residents involved in these orgs. sometimes blow me away with their commitment.

Our most recent commitment is to Georgia Street Gardens. Amazing project and amazing volunteers.

I did have a small chuckle about meeting me and my partner. So politically correct. Like it or not, a large portion of our friends are gay and in committed relationships. We are hetero, an old married couple, 33 yrs and still counting. Lets meet. Why not come to Georgia Street Xmas dinner on Dec. 6th. Many, many forumers (sp) will be there too.

Real time, Detroit residents have multiple challenges. Thanks in advance for wanting to invest in Detroit. This community is viable and your addition should be a tremendous asset! Join us in taking back our streets!

Sumas

Post Number: 377
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D duo, hope your sale goes well. Indian Village is a great community. I am a Detroit resident and a Detroit supporter. Any Detroiter can give you bad tales, including me. Be ready to be strong and be wary. Non Detroiters love to bash our city, but this Detroiter knows that most residents are amazing people, full of love and life. I envy your ability to buy into Indian Village. So much history and such beautiful homes.

We belong to numerous civic and/or charitable organizations in the city. The people/residents involved in these orgs. sometimes blow me away with their commitment.

Our most recent commitment is to Georgia Street Gardens. Amazing project and amazing volunteers.

I did have a small chuckle about meeting me and my partner. So politically correct. Like it or not, a large portion of our friends are gay and in committed relationships. We are hetero, an old married couple, 33 yrs and still counting. Lets meet. Why not come to Georgia Street Xmas dinner on Dec. 6th. Many, many forumers (sp) will be there too.

Real time, Detroit residents have multiple challenges. Thanks in advance for wanting to invest in Detroit. This community is viable and your addition should be a tremendous asset! Join us in taking back our streets!

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the welcome, Sumas. Our story is one for a discussion, but we are Detroiters, only temporarily removed due to my Job. But anyway, coming back. While we have a love/hate relationship with Detroit, if we have to live in this area, we will only live in Detroit or Ann Arbor.

Unfortunately, we will not be in town permanently until January. But we will keep our eyes and ears open to meet more like minded people like you. I am sure our paths will cross one day. :-)

Sumas

Post Number: 380
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome back. Urban pioneer comes to mind. We have so many great neighborhoods. The neighborhoods that have been decimated just suggest to me new hope and new opportunities. I don't mind our urban prairies either. I love our pheasant population.We rarely go past eight mile. Too much congestion and too many stores. Ann Arbor is also a great locale. No urban stress either. Hope you choose Detroit though. We need young people with energy and vision. Happy Thanksgiving. sumas

Hutt
Username: Hutt

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Sumas, I'm praying for your neighbor...how tragic. I'm also praying that whoever did this will get found and they won't be able to do it again.
To Dieseldog, on my block we've had the security salesmen also. What I like to do is start geeking up my dogs so when they get to the door they are absolutely riled. Then I give them this kind of blank 1000 yard stare and ask "Can I help you?" The look on their faces is priceless. We are easily entertained at my house.

Sumas

Post Number: 381
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for your concern, no good news yet as to his condition. Prayers do help. You also gave me a giggle with your "1000 yard stare" a world war allusion. We also had door to door salespeople in our community touting security systems. We checked with our local neighborhood association who said they were legit. Me, I am a little more leary. My Mom who is 88 told these people we had no system but we had a dog. If you saw our dog you would die laughing. Older citizens need to be much more careful about the info they share.I love my mom and our community, but damn, people please be careful.

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is difficult to read for someone in a small coastal town in Texas (Rockport) thinking of getting a summer city home where its not so hot.

I don't usually lock my door and sometimes leave it wide open. In the 9.5 years I've lived in my neighborhood of about 500 homes, I don't think there has been one felony. The only time someone went into my house when it was open was my county commissioner who I caught red-handed with a diet-coke "Steve I was so thirsty"

Traffic on my block is when I hear a car stop and yell out the window "Alex would you PLEASE move over ( my doggie liked to nap in the middle of the street - a pavement thing I guess).

I used to be an elected DA in another county and burglary was something I took seriously - 10+ years to serve. In Texas if someone breaks into your house you can shoot him.

Salvadordelmundo
Username: Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the same, doesn't Texas have a homicide rate that is actually above the national average? It's actually not that far apart from the overall rate of Michigan - which, of course, is driven by Detroit's rate.

Sumas

Post Number: 382
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope your info is wrong we have relatives in Texas. It has been years since I lived in the southwest. New Mexico, to be exact. Everyone there carried and very minimal crime. The only bad thing that happened to me there was to get my gas tank siphoned. When I was a kid in Detroit, we never locked our doors at all. Things changed. Until recently, our backdoor was always unlocked during the day. Now we try to remember to lock it. Reality has definitely set in.

Sumas

Post Number: 384
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

End of thread. Our friend died

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 609
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW I'm left speechless my heart goes out to you sumas and your friends family.

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas I'm so sorry.

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so sorry that he didn't make it. i had been following the thread, hoping for some good news. i also have family and friends in that area. so sad for anyone who is affected by this loss.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My deepest regrets, Sumas.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 989
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas, I am sorry to hear this. If you need anything just give me a call.

Sumas

Post Number: 389
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.