Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Ford May Sell All Jets, GM Drops 2 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 263
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After GM drops two from their fleet, Ford says they may sell all:

http://money.cnn.com/2008/11/2 1/news/companies/bc.ford.corpo ratejets.ap/index.htm

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2932
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIG, Lehman Bros., and Merrill-Lynch now have billions of new discretionary funds to blow on toys like this.

Bigb23

Post Number: 2934
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm tired of the holier than thou attitude of congress towards the Big 3 right now. Yeah that was a tremendously bad move by execs who mainly think about whats in it for them.

But Congressmen who live in glass houses .........

Congressional Travel Investigation - ORIGINAL AIRDATE: 10/13/2008

quote:

Five lawmakers, five aides, three spouses and one adult daughter attended the trip to the Galapagos Islands. Congressman Baird defends the trip as an important fact-finding mission. Tom Schatz of Citizens Against Government Waste says most lawmakers travel abroad for good reason but too many blatantly abuse the privilege.

Imagine traveling to this paradise on a $70 million VIP (Air Force) luxury jet, treated like royalty and best of all, somebody else pays for the whole trip. For some United States Congressmen, they need not imagine a trip like that at all; it's theirs for the asking.

Millions of taxpayer dollars are being spent every year to send congressmen to exotic locations around the world; the expeditions are called fact-finding trips.

(cough - BS)

http://www.wral.com/golo/blogp ost/3735788/

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 527
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen, Bigb23. I think the CEOs should have given a better response when asked if they flew in commercially (as opposed to corporately). Maybe they were taken off-guard by such a irrelevant question. But they should have explained why virtually every Fortune 500 company flies their execs on corporate and that they have, in fact, been downsizing their fleets.

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 154
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do see why people are irritated with it, but it's not what's important.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5728
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the real issue: "It's not my job"

quote:

So why save Citi and not GM? It's not at all clear. In fact, there may be more reason to do the reverse. GM has a far greater impact on jobs and communities.
--
Nonetheless, Citi is about to be bailed out while GM is allowed to languish. That's because Wall Street's self-serving view of the unique role of financial institutions is mirrored in the two agencies that run the American economy -- the Treasury and the Fed. Their job, as they see it, is to keep the financial economy "sound," by which they mean keeping Wall Street's own investors and creditors reasonably happy.

http://tpmcafe.talkingpointsme mo.com/2008/11/22/why_were_res cuing_wall_street/

(Message edited by lilpup on November 22, 2008)

Retroit

Post Number: 530
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe we need to create a Department of Industry and a Federal Business Board.

Bigb23

Post Number: 2936
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We already have a Secretary of Commerce which has been pretty low key for at least the last eight years. (Easy money).

From Wiki -

quote:

The United States Secretary of Commerce is the head of the United States Department of Commerce concerned with business and industry; the Department states its mission to be "to foster, promote, and develop the foreign and domestic commerce.

And John Engler for the National Association of Manufacturers:

quote:

Given his promotion of corporate
interests while Governor, Engler was a
perfect candidate for the presidency of
NAM. Established in 1895, NAM be-
came the most fanatically anti-union em-
ployer association in the United States.
Samuel Prescott Bush, great-grandfather
of President George W. Bush, was one of
its early leaders.

http://www.corporatecampaign.o rg/englertot.pdf

Retroit

Post Number: 535
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the Dept. of Commerce is in charge of promoting domestic industry, they have failed, IMHO.

The NAM is a private organization, completely independent of the Federal Government.

Bigb23

Post Number: 2941
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, NAM is private, but legions of lobbyists influence Federal policy far, far, more than our simple, former middle class constituent minds can comprehend.

OR SO THEY THINK

Nemoman
Username: Nemoman

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the problem. I have a very successful law practice; however, I do not fly first class on business trips. My clients would not tolerate it; nor would my partners. Business execs get away with it because the shareholders are impotent to hold them or the company accountable. Why is the CEO of Ford worth 28 million in compensation for running a failing company? Did these guys ever read and understand Halberstam's book "The Reckoning." They apparently never learned anything from the seventies when Japan was eating their lunch. A bailout is not going to create a market for the cars they cannot sell. They will still have to lay off thousands of workers. The nice thing about bankruptcy is that maybe the worthless execs will get layed off and both union and management will have to take substantial haircuts at no expense to taxpayers.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5740
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why is the CEO of Ford worth 28 million in compensation for running a failing company?"

His base salary is $2 million a year. Most of that $28 million was one time payment for what he gave up leaving Boeing for Ford. Harping on that figure is a red herring.

Two of these three CEOs arrived in the last three years, the other has been here somewhat longer, but none of them can be held responsible for the 1970s.

That GM cannot sell cars is an absolute fallacy. GM massively outsells the Japanese in the US. The core problem here is that the credit market is totally screwed up, shorting the automakers of cash. Had the banks been allowed to fail as all of the weak ones should have, the credit market would have cleared itself and the automakers would be functioning as they had been before the financial sector crash.

Retroit

Post Number: 540
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By a Department of Industry and Federal Business Board, I was suggesting that the manufacturing industries need to have a governmental body(ies) that are as committed to their survival as the Department of Treasury and Federal Reserve Board are to the survival of banks and financial firms.

I doubt that the scrutiny and ridicule that the Big3 are facing now would take place in other major industrialized nations. They seem to have better grasp of how industries, banks, and government should work together. I think in the US, we have lingering suspicion of such cooperations due to the trusts/monopolies/etc. of our distant past. The laws preventing such associations made sense at the time, given the protected markets of the US. But our country is now an open battlefield for foreign manufacturers who have much more supportive financial and government assistance back home.

Retroit

Post Number: 541
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's what I'm trying to say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M inistry_of_International_Trade _and_Industry

Nemoman

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford did report its CEO's base pay in April as 2 million, but also gave him a 4 million bonus. He received 11 million in stock options last year, and has received over 50 million since coming to Ford. I do not know what his stock options are worth this year, but I did read his total compensation package was valued at 28 million. I do not care how many cars GM can sell: they are not selling enough and are losing lots of money. Tight credit is not helping; however, it affects all automakers - foreign and domestic. The big three desperately need to cut expenses. Leadership must set the example. Limiting all business travel to commercial coach is a no brainer.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5742
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

except when it's a multi-national company with plants located from Brazil to Russia and everywhere in between

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 264
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And no airlines fly to Brazil or Russia. Or anywhere else.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5743
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

at times in some areas you'd think that

commercial transportation in certain areas really isn't dependable

plus there is a valid security argument to be made, too, in some places

Nemoman

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you charter where you have to - you still save money. I can tell you from running a small business that the biggest obstacle to cutting costs is the development of rationalizations for them.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5744
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So you charter where you have to - you still save money"

perhaps, perhaps not - much like leasing a car or buying - I'm sure that's some of the cost analysis that's gone on

Retroit

Post Number: 544
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nemoman, I fully support the reduction of executive wages and the reduction of executive perks, such as corporate travel. But these unnecessary expenses are a negligible contribution to the financial difficulties these companies face. The reason they are unable to get a loan from the banks is because of the "credit crisis", which they did not create - the government created it. Did the government of Japan, Korea, or Germany create the conditions for the sub-prime mortgage fiasco that our financial institutions got themselves entangled in? This is an American problem. The government got us into it, the government should get us out of it.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 453
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That GM cannot sell cars is an absolute fallacy. GM massively outsells the Japanese in the US.

Well, I guess it depends how you define "massively" and "cars" and "the Japanese". Toyota currently sells slightly more cars in the US than GM. GM currently sells slightly more cars and trucks combined (they used to sell a lot more, but truck sales have fallen through the earth's crust, so Toyota has almost caught up). But there is no way GM sells more of either one than "the Japanese". Toyota and Honda alone outsell GM, and have for a while. Throw in Nissan and Subaru Mitsubishi and Suzuki and it isn't close.

That doesn't mean GM can't sell cars--it just can't sell enough cars to support its cost structure--Toyota has 3 brands to sell roughly as many cars as GM manages with 8, not to mention legacy costs.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5745
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"GM currently sells slightly more cars and trucks combined (they used to sell a lot more, but truck sales have fallen through the earth's crust, so Toyota has almost caught up)."
quote:

GM outsold Toyota by about 1.2 million vehicles in the United States last year and holds a U.S. lead over Toyota of about 560,000 so far this year.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2008811170379

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6447
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, if you combined cars, light commercial vehicles, heavy commercial vehicles, and heavy buses, Toyota has a slight lead.

If you're talking about just conventional cars and commercial light trucks GM still has a lead. Either way, upon the credit crisis GM's only crisis was that it was going to fall from number one to number two, not that it was imminently going out of business. Yes, GM had many problems, but none that spelled imminent doom for the corporation until they weren't able to borrow from conventional sources (i.e. the credit crisis).

There are so many lies and myths flying around out there about the domestics auto industry, and while I have not been pleased with their performance during much of the decade, the 2007 labour contract was a big deal in a good way.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 402
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pup,

It is true that GM can too sell cars, but I don't see anybody actually claiming that - I only hear it as a retort to arguments that aren't made. GM does (just) outsell Toyota in the US, but does not come close to outselling all Japanese nameplates.

But saying that the core problem of the current crsis is the credit crisis takes much too short of a view. The credit crisis is affecting everybody, but not to equal degrees. The Big 3 have been going down a path of decline for decades, something that can be seen in, among other things, the continual decline of market share over the last 35 years. Even if the Big 3 were to tomorrow resume operating as they were before the crash, they would still not be in good shape. Ford had the best medium-term outlook but was losing lots of money, Chrysler was shopping itself around for absorption or rescue, and GM was losing lots of money.

Otter

That GM cannot sell cars is an absolute fallacy. GM massively outsells the Japanese in the US. The core problem here is that the credit market is totally screwed up, shorting the automakers of cash. Had the banks been allowed to fail as all of the weak ones should have, the credit market would have cleared itself and the automakers would be functioning as they had been before the financial sector crash.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5747
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Otter, you need to look back over the last few years to know what strides the companies have made before you try to continue any arguments.

And Ford turned a profit the quarter before all this crap started with Wall Street.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 407
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pup,

I'm quite aware of the improvements that the American-badged cars have made over the past few years, but that is beside the point, which, put another way, is that 'making strides' is not enough, and that the big 3's troubles have a long, long tail. There is no sign that the long-term trend in market share in particular is changing. Nor have the big 3 shown much positive proof over say, the last 5 years, that they are really good at successfully running a profitable business as opposed to building great cars, which is necessary but not sufficient. It's a bit late to finally be building mostly great cars. It's only been, what, decades?

'the strides they've made' is no argument at all for success. It is exactly the same argument that some people have been making in support of the Bi3 for, again, decades. This time, we're really turning the corner. And so on. And for decades, the long-term trend in strength has been in one direction.

I stand coreected on Ford's Q3 or Q2 profits but one quarter is not a snapshot of the last several years, over which they have lost a lot of money.

Retroit

Post Number: 548
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The loss of market share is the result of the increase in the number of automakers, brands, and models competing in the market and, more recently, the entry of those competitors into the SUV/Truck market.

(Message edited by Retroit on November 24, 2008)

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2814
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So why save Citi and not GM? It's not at all clear. In fact, there may be more reason to do the reverse. GM has a far greater impact on jobs and communities.

I don't know, isn't/wasn't citigroup the largest bank and company in the world. I am not so sure it such a cut and dry decision as what would have the largest impact.

Retroit

Post Number: 549
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forget about Citi, the government needs to save my city! :-)

Lilpup

Post Number: 5748
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the US should concentrate on saving the US instead of the world.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 771
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =RLLVFIxqrMU Team America... They'll save the day......

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.