Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Anyone remember Maynard the Talking Christmas Tree? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 439
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I promise you this is not a drug-induced memory, but I vaguely remember a "talking" christmas tree during the holiday seasons at Somerset Mall during the 1980's (before the mega-luxury expansion).

It was basically a giant fake christmas tree with big eyes, nose and face, and some dude was behind the tree doing the "talking." There were speakers scattered within the tree that produced the voice. I know this sounds crazy, and I was very young, but I am almost certain this recollection is accurate.

I think it was somewhere in the mall proper, rather than the department stores, and I think I remember telling the tree what I wanted for Christmas. I'm not sure how the dude behind the tree could hear the children's voices. Maybe we spoke into a microphone?

I don't remember if there was a Santa or anything else accompanying the tree. All I remember is the talking tree and getting a hot dog at some diner-style restaurant in the mall.

Does anyone know what I am talking about, or am I losing my mind?

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 956
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oddly enough, I believe I do. Get outta my drug-induced memory!
*s*

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 643
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I know exactly what you are talking about, but I saw it at the entrance of Bronner's Christmas Store up in Frankenmuth. I think all it did was sing Christmas songs as opposed to being voiced by another person.

(Message edited by wolverine on November 22, 2008)

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell you what...
When I've had (too much) Gin....
Folks have told me that I SMELL like a talking Christmas tree.

Island
Username: Island

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know about the tree, but I remember monkeys in a cage at Hughes&Hatchers Northland, early 60's!

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now the monkeys I remember... and Macaulays office supplies. THAT was a good time!

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 550
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As if it isn't bad enough to make kids sit on the lap of an stranger dressed in a goofy outfit and wearing a fake beard, they were actually told it was okay to talk to a tree?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.