Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Cool Detroit TV Holiday Stuff « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A special message from Sonny and Annette Eliot along with clips from the 1970 Hudson's Thanksgiving Day Parade, an Oopsy the Clown Thanksgiving Special and other cool stuff can be seen on my website. Check it out!
http://www.detroitkidshow.com

Skippy313
Username: Skippy313

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ed. Great stuff as always. There can't be much of this old parade footage floating around but it sure is slick.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDIV tossed most of their tapes when they became a Post Newsweek station. Sonny doesn't even have any footage of him hosting the parade, so I would guess that no other old parade footage has survived.

Mickeymac
Username: Mickeymac

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to see this old stuff

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like someone took a home movie camera to their black and white television to get this footage ... the Parade was broadcast in color!

Ed_golick

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The parade footage was dubbed from 2" Quad to VHS over 25 years ago. The tape was originally color, but age has caused it to shift in most parts to monochrome. Plus, I had to compress the file a bit so it would fit on my server. If you have better looking video, be my guest and post it.

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Ed. Your hard work is greatly appreciated.

Crash67

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Ed. My comment wasn't meant to diss you. That's amazing that the color completely disappeared in the copy. Did you have access to the original 2" stock or the VHS copy that was dubbed? It's disappointing that the station or more "official" archival sources wouldn't have preserved anything like this.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crash67,
When WDIV was sold to Post Newsweek, nearly all of their tape library was purposely destroyed. My friend Seymour Kapetanski who was employed at the station as a writer from 1951 to 1989 wasn't even allowed to grab copies of programs that he worked on. The 1970 parade and the Oopsy footage on my website was quickly and quietly dubbed over to VHS before the master tapes were destroyed. I borrowed the VHS tapes from a former WDIV employee. As poor quality as they are, they are the only records we have of these programs.

Crash67

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed:

I knew some other people who were purged (along with their tape library, I guess!) when the Post Newsweek bloodba, er, "acquisition" took place. Considering all the places where such a collection could have gone, like the Burton at DPL or the Reuther Library @ WSU, it's too bad no one would have had the foresight to dispatch them there. Considering the horror stories I've heard about Alan Frank and others of the Post-Newsweek gang, I guess it shouldn't surprise me.

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool stuff - thanks Ed!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.