Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Graystone Ballroom « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know the architect of the Graystone Ballroom? I know it was originally built as an elaborate Chinese restaurant. I did a search on couldn't find the answer.

Mclark
Username: Mclark

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where exactly is the Graystone on Michigan Ave? I know it's been mentioned that it's a laundromat but of the couple I've seen on Mich. Ave, none look like they were once a concert hall or anything like that.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2149
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was on Woodward, half block south of the Whitney Restaurant, same side of the street.

I didn't know about the chinese thing, but did know that Barry Gordy bought the place in the early 1960's; squeezed every dime he could out of the place and left it to rot in the '70s. Coleman tore it down in the late 80s. Don't know who the owner was at the time...assume the city.

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please don't confuse the two as they share the same name. They Graystone on Woodward was Detroit's largest Ballroom later owned by Motown and Berry Gordy. The Graystone on Michigan was and is sort of a storefront facade that operated as a Punk venue in the 80's... now a laundromat.

Mclark
Username: Mclark

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering about the Graystone on Michigan Ave. It was a bit before my time but I've seen plenty of fliers for shows I wish I had been born earlier to see. Where on Michigan is this building?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2294
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =UtBepJF6tVM

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1533
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is another thread on the Theater on Michigan Avenue here: https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/162316.html?1227022147

But I'm looking for info on the Ballroom of jazz and Motown fame.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2144
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's some info and photos posted in this old thread on the Vanity:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/62684/68521.html

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I saw that in my search. Thanks, Hornwrecker. Now if I could only find out who designed the darn thing. It was so grand, you think it'd have to be someone with skill. But because I can't find ANYTHING on it, maybe it was a nobody. ::shrug::

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Graystone Ballroom was dance hall on the west side of Woodward between Willis and Canfield. It was torn down in one of those all-too-common acts of official urban vandalism that happen in Detroit, and replaced with - what else? - an empty lot for 25+ years. There's a new McDonalds on that site now.

The Graystone Theater, discussed on another thread here, was originally a movie theater on Michigan near between Central and Springwells. The building is still there and is now part of a laundromat.

I was fortunate enough to have been in both buildings in my lifetime. We had a friend who was looking for venues for a restaurant near Wayne in the late '60s and looked at the Graystone building. The ballroom was already in a decayed state by then, but beautiful and cavernously huge. I went to a couple of shows out at the Graystone theater on Michigan during my punker days.

The Graystone Ballroom was one of the great dance venues in the country during the era of the jazz big bands in the '20s, '30s & '40s. It was home to the famous Jean Goldkette Band, that featured Bix Beiderbecke for awhile, and the McKinney Cotton Pickers, who featured a number of important members over the years including Benny Carter and Roy Eldridge. As well as many nationally touring bands. The place had 2 stands with bands at opposite ends of the room so that the music would never stop.

I have no idea though who the architect was. A guy named James Jenkins, I believe, saved a bunch of stuff from the demolition, and from other Detroit jazz venues, and operated a Graystone Jazz Museum for many years. I know he died several years ago, and last I heard of the collection it was in the Book Building. Is anybody still running this? Perhaps they would know the answer.

A picture of the Graystone Ballroom:

Graystone

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for the Chinese restaurant story, there's this from a sidebar to a 3/27/07 Detroit News article on the history of Woodward as an entertainment strip:

"The Graystone was built to be a palatial Chinese restaurant, but the owners defaulted and, instead, it opened in 1922 as a ballroom to take advantage of the nascent fad for ballroom dancing."

And this from the Rough Guide to Jazz entry on Jean Goldkette:

"Goldkette ... after a successful run at the Book-Cadillac Hotel acquired the lease of an unfinished Chinese restaurant. This he converted into the Graystone Ballroom, which quickly became the premier venue for visiting bands..."

(Message edited by eastsideal on November 23, 2008)

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm almost positive that the Detroit News article is wrong about the year it opened. Most sources and old news clippings I've found said the Graystone opened in 1924. Although it's possible it opened in 1922 as the Chinese restaurant and then reopened in 1924 as the dancing hot spot known as the Graystone...

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Graystone opened in 1922, I have an ad and will post it when I'm back home. There are conflicting stories about the Chinese restaurant - not sure if it actually opened or not.

Those artifacts from the Graystone (the name came from...gray bricks used in construction) are in storage. James "Jitterbug" Jenkins tried his best to keep the museum going but not enough money came in. After his death the museum continued for a while but, inevitably, sank beneath the waves...

Goldkette had an empire, owned and/or operated many venues around the city. Another noted band which he managed was the Henry Biagini Orchestra which morphed into the Casa Loma Orchestra. They are also famous for recording "Happy Days Are Here Again" on Black Thursday - the day the market crashed. Goldkette was MD at the DAC and actually first recorded in Chicago around 1918. He learned the band business from Edgar Benson, who at the time was a premier booking agent in Chicago.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2163
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice clip East_Detroit. I met that kid interviewing, went to dearborn and had a class in media or something. had their own little tv show brodcast out of the school I believe. They had me out for a short interview in like 87.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.