Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Right on Mitch! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 880
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0081123/COL01/811230371/1210/B USINESS

Wykkidx
Username: Wykkidx

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I think there needs to be a change in the leadership in the Big 3, I agree Right on Mitch. I do not understand how congress can demand the Big 3 show them the plan for paying back the loan when AIG and Citi could have just called in for the loan and the Big 3 showed up in DC and still are getting grief about the money.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav's Bailout Plan for the US Automobile Manufacturing Industry:

Give tax-paying US citizens a $10,000 voucher toward the purchase of a GM, Ford, or Chrysler product.

Now then, get back on your corporate jet(s)...fly back to Detroit - start building lots & lots of inexpensive, fuel efficient automobiles....Got-Dammnnit !!

Problem solved, case dismissed.
What else we-got to do?

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 313
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminds me of the firefighter commercial where they get everything done without any discussion. Devil is in the details. Nothing is ever as simple as we'd like it to be.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 934
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav:
First, how much would your plan cost?
Second, I suppose you want that inexpensive, fuel efficient vehicle to be of high quality too? How about safety - airbags all around, right? And I'm sure you wanted it loaded with features like a nav, dvd player, onstar, satellite radio... And I bet you want it to have a respectable acceleration so you can get up to 85 on the freeway without getting run over while you're merging from the entrance ramp. And plenty of trunk space too, huh? After all, you're used to driving your giant SUV, you can't give up too much, right?
Maybe not you, but the average American expects this. It's not nearly as simple as you make it out to be.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 538
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Chuckjav's idea. I mentioned something similar on another thread. I think there should be a tax rebate for fuel efficient, hybrid, or any alternate-fueled domestic vehicle.

This will give money to the Big3 while at the same time helping consumers, thus help the economy. And it would encourage the shift to fuel efficiency / oil independence.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1832
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right ...the Big 3 can make fuel-efficient cars, but how to wean people off their Civics and Yarises? A tax credit could go a big way toward that.

The sight of Honda's CEO making a delirious speech at the plant in Indiana, thinking of all the extra $$ he'll get thanks to the Big 3's woes, should have given every American pause.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe, just maybe, after the government gave all those billions to Wall Street, enough Americans complained to Congress that, now that the Detroit 3 want some of the pie, Congress is asking for some accountability. Just because the barn door was open for awhile doesn't mean ALL the horses should expect to get out scot free. Let all those big shots at the auto companies come up with a reasonable plan and a way to account for how each dollar will be spent developing new, more fuel-efficient products. Besides just dumping the corporate jets, the big guys (anyone making over say $250K) should agree to work for $1 a year - and no bonus packages or stock options - until their companies return to profitability. I'm sure they can afford it.

ChuckJav's plan is also a good one. Give the taxpayers a break, maybe 20% off the sticker price of a vehicle, until the dealer lots and storage yards are empty of all the unwanted dinosaurs. But they better hurry, while gas prices are still low!

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 873
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just watching CNN Money and they mentioned in their fact or fiction segment some things we already know but seldom are said on national tv.
1. Hybrids make up a very tiny percentage of the U.S. market and if GM had only hybrids they wouldn't be profitable.
2. SUV's have been an American addiction not a Big 3 addiction. The Japanese Big 3 sold 800,000 more suv's in the past 4 years than the previous 4.
3. The unions have made concessions and with all the downsizing the wage differences are just now starting to even out as the credit crunch hit.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9341
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav's idea isn't that nutty. Actually I like it because if the Big 3 claims that they make better cars, they still have to have some sort of incentive to even go try out the new cars. Giving us money back is one heckuva nice incentive to at least stop in the showrooms to test out a new car. Who's to say that the government bailout money won't go paying for private plane jet fuel or some other junket? This is just a round about way (or possibly even more direct depending on how you look at it) to getting money back to the flailing American industry.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Truth-be-told....Cost-Be-Damned.
Our lawmakers can simply authorize the printing presses to roll out all the money we need.

Ladies and Gentlemen, NOBODY in Washington DC...nobody on Wall Street....nobody on the Chicago Board of Trade cares about us; they are ALL in-it TO win-it (for-they damned-selves).

Why should we give a rat's-ass any longer?
Bail Everyone Out...Let it Roll!

(Message edited by chuckjav on November 23, 2008)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6449
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just about to post this. For me, Mitch is often hit-and-miss, but this time he hit the right tone and hit it right out of the park. And, as I've said in other threads, Chuck as got this right, if it wasn't clear before it's now more clear than ever that we are in this on our own.

The Congress is looking for a whipping boy, and unfortunately the Big Three are all too easy a target to score points off of. Forget that the banker boys are pushing paper...into their own pockets and skirting every rule in the book. Yes, never mind the robber barons behind the curtains. Yeah, less teach those folks that actually make things a lesson.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3897
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, gas is back down to normal. Roll out the Hummers and Escalades!

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav, did you think of this yourself. Its got some legs, simple yet brilliant.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenp...yep, I claim this one.
Over the years, I've noticed that the best answers...are the simple ones.
Most of the time, our "leaders" try so hard to impress...they end up ignoring common sense.

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mitch hit the nail on the head. Sometimes he annoys me but I support him 100% on this one.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.