Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Pool Leagues « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 4052
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just received this video in an email of a white chick shooting pool.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/ 1906697/chicken_playing_billar ds/

It's got me to thinking about when I was a team member of a couple of bar pool leagues in my early years, circa late 60s early 70s. (Yeah, I admit it - I'm an old white chick.) :-)

In my other life, I played for the DavMount Bar located on E.Davison and Mt. Elliot. The Cadillac Room on Van Dyke and 8 Mile. A bar I can't remember the name of that was close to Van Dyke on E. Davison. And another I think that was located on Conant, close to 7 or 8 Mile Road.

We would travel around the city to different bars on assigned nights of the week and play their home team. It was a lot of fun. We had regular groupies that would come watch and cheer us on. Always had a blast.

Has anyone else played on a pool league around the city? If so, what bar/bars did you represent?

Is that still done? Or are neighborhood bars a thing of the past?

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 369
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez. I had forgotten how many hours I wasted in bars in and around Detroit doing that stuff.

I never stuck long in pool leagues, I never was as good (or never really cared enough) to win consistently.

Pinball leagues, well that was a different story. I loved that, and was fairly successful.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 543
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean you actually had to meet people face-to-face to socialize? Like, turn off the computer and actually leave your home? That sucks! :-)

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michael G's Place in Hamtramck.
Oak Gardens in Hazel Park.
Murphy's in Hazel Park.
Another in Hamtramck I can't remember name.

Alfie1a

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, I never seen a pinball league. I'd love that.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 370
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Playing in a pinball league WAS interesting, that's for sure. As I recall, it was called the Midwestern Pinball League. Hamtramck, Detroit, and Highland Park, in the early 80's.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2944
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my girlfriends played in a Macomb County pool league. I played in the NODA Dart league in the mid 80's. It always took me a pitcher of beer to oil up the ol' arm.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 4053
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retroit - yes, getting out and actually meeting people back in the day! LOL No puters back then.

I never heard of a pinball league, but I bet it was fun too. I'm no good at pinball. Maybe it goes too fast for me.

Bb, my husband played in dart leagues too.

Alfie1a

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've spent many hours playing pool. The combination of physics, geometry, and the strategy involved make it, in my opinion, the most perfect game ever conceived.

And the atmosphere of the places where pool was played made the game even more interesting.

pinball is a pretty nifty game as well, i'd have joined a league on the spot.

I like playing on horseshoe leagues.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 372
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez. I wonder if there's enough interest to getting a pinball league together? LOL

Eriedearie

Post Number: 4064
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alfie1a - I think that's what drew me to the game of pool - the physics, geometry and strategy of it. All of it made for very interesting play. Observing the technique of English used on the cue ball and how that would make the object ball react. It was amazing stuff for me. My dad bought a table for the basement and we would spend hours practicing different shots. I would even read what books were available on the subject too. Haven't played in years though. Next time we go over our son's house I think I'll challenge him to a game, just to see if I still have it! :-)

Bigb23

Post Number: 2965
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was lucky enough to have a local pool hall to hang out at starting about 1970. The building was almost 100 years old at the time, and the interior was updated very little up until then. It almost was like a movie set of a 1935 pool hall, with pressed tin ceilings, green plastered walls, banged up antique tables, and wrought iron seats along the wall.

The cash register was an old brass NCR. It sat on a dusty dirt encrusted glass counter that held gum, chewing tobacco, and newspapers. And the only new things in the place were a Stewart sandwich warmer, and a pinball machine or two.

On Friday and Saturday nights it was the place to find out about the local parties, and come to think of it, I don't remember any chicks hanging out there ! They must have had a guys only rule.

Oh well nice memories.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 4073
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The pool hall where I first played the game was located just off the east side of Gratiot where McNichols, or 6 Mile Road turns into Seymour. The owner would come over to the tables where us girls were playing and show us some shots when he wasn't busy. We would spend hours in there. I can't remember the name of the place but it was nice and clean inside. Girls were welcomed! :-)

Later on several of us were on the same bar leagues together. And we still keep in touch.

Bigb23

Post Number: 2986
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Girlz rule, boys, oh well, piss out the back door.

Alfie1a

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The pool rooms that I frequented were Mr. 9 Ball at 5 Mile and Burt Rd. Rack 'n' Cue on 7 Mile near Evergreen. And my favorite spot was Angie's on 8 Mile near Mound on the Warren side. There weren't bars back in those days but they didn't mind if you brought in a little something, if you were discrete about it. There were some girls there too. You could almost call them pool groupies. :-)
In Rock Falls, Illinois back in around 75, I took my sis into a pool room and they wouldn't allow her to come in.

my all time favorite movie, The Hustler. Who doesn't like it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =zVd_We9DwZQ

Eriedearie

Post Number: 4077
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the post Alfie! I really enjoyed seeing that again. Now I've got me a hankerin' to get my cue out, chalk it up and go look for a game. :-)

4oranges
Username: 4oranges

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone else played on a pool league around the city? If so, what bar/bars did you represent?

Is that still done? Or are neighborhood bars a thing of the past?

Eariedearie - Pool League every Wednesday night at Abick's - great old neighborhood bar. 3500 Gilbert. Not sure when the current schedule wraps up and next one starts though. call 'em:
313-894-9392

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody ever play mumblety peg? For money?

Eriedearie

Post Number: 4105
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the lead 4oranges. I'll tell my peeps and maybe next time I get over the border we'll stop in. I will call there first.

3rdworld - just looked it up on google! So that's the name of the game the boys in school were playing?! I thought it was something they had made up.

Cromer
Username: Cromer

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9 years ago I played in the Budlight APA pool league in Kalamazoo. One week we would play at our home bar, then travel to another the next. If you took 1st in your area you could play in a regional competition with the winner of that going to the national competition in Vegas.

I don't know if the league operates in the city, but I found the representative for the Detroit Metro Area. They can help you form a team or join one.

http://www.poolplayers.com/App s/Locator/LocatorDetail.aspx

League Name Metro Detroit APA Leagues
League Operator Thomas K. Jenkins
Phone Number (734) 941-8504
Fax Number (734) 941-8504
Email jaw795@hotmail.com
Office Hours Mon thru Fri 10am-5pm Sat 10am-2pm

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.