Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » My question about the Dequindre Cut « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 268
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that the Dequindre Cut will be offically open next summer since the path is nearly complete. I was talking to my friend early today and he was telling me that they started putting up stations for the future light rail next to the path. Is this true and can anyone post up newer photos of the cut?

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe next summer is the target for the path from the Dequindre Cut to Tricentennial Park. The trail should be navigable from Wilkins St. in Eastern Market through to the river. As for the light rail stations, I haven't seen or heard anything to that effect. There are emergency call stations every few hundred feet though.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 547
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nellonfury, I posted some pictures of the Cut on the following thread. I took them on October 11, 2008.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/152861.html?1225390584

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 736
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The expectation as of last week was the Dequindre Cut would officially open in January. Until construction is complete, it remains under the control of the City and not officially open.

I've heard the grand opening event is scheduled for May.

There are no plans for putting light rail next to the trail at this time.

I have more Dequindre Cut information on-line.

Jnot
Username: Jnot

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe I heard that the current plans for the DQC essentially cancel (or greatly diminish) the potential for light rail- confirm/deny anyone?

Ljbad89
Username: Ljbad89

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well if I remember correctly, they left half of the cut alone in case they wanted to put light rail there in the future.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 737
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dequindre Cut preserves half of the right-of-way for future light rail and do not diminish its potential.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14827
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, and they are NOT at Wilkins yet, the exit is onto Gratiot...at the wrong side of that difficult intersection at Vernor for easy Eastern Market access...for the time being.

I haven't been down to Wilkins at the Cut recently, this makes for a perfect excuse for a short walk!

Cheers

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14828
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They DID have a hazmat crew there a month ago cleaning up that oil spill behind the old Thorn Apple Valley building...that being the biggest obstacle to an Eastern Market continuance by far, other than a weak bridge or two...so I wouldn't doubt they could see January to Wilkins in favorable weather.

It's fun to bike now...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.