Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Monaghan at the old Blue Moon? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 366
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There seems to be some activity at the building that once housed the Blue Moon. There is a Monaghan sign on the building and a trailer on the side of the building.

Does anyone have any info on this?

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 260
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is unfortunately a pharmacy sign on the building as well.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9682
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Appropriate!

Hans57

Post Number: 367
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sign say that the pharmacy next door has moved.

This Monaghan sign is recent, within 4 days, and I believe there's a fence around the building and trailer.

(Message edited by hans57 on November 24, 2008)

Rocknrollscientist
Username: Rocknrollscientist

Post Number: 182
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I've heard (from people in the neighborhood - not solid sources), that whole block is coming down to make way for some sort of new development.

Detroit_pride
Username: Detroit_pride

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes new development....it is going to be the Garden Theater Block Parking Structure.

Eboyer
Username: Eboyer

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the MEDC on Dec. 18, 2007:

"North Woodward Garden Block Development – A state brownfield tax credit valued at $2.2 million will help the development group revitalize a blighted block on the west side of Woodward between Mack and Warren in Detroit. The project involves the restoration of the Garden Theatre and the Blue Moon Building. The theater will be returned to its original use and the Blue Moon will house a new restaurant. A new, three-story building will be constructed with retail and commercial space. Plans also call for a 300-space parking garage. The project will generate $28.7 million in capital investment and create more than 200 new jobs."

Looks good to me!

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2317
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We don't know if it looks good (no architectural renderings are known), but it sure does sound good!

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Appropriate!

You're a bad boy Jams...

Hans57

Post Number: 368
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well then, good things are still happening .

The re-development of Midtown is slowly creeping southward.

On a side note, I propose that MSU builds a campus on the 5 or so blocks north of 75 on Woodward. It would be dedicated to urban farming, considering they were initially founded as an agricultural school.

It's as simple as that, right?

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 421
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, i'm glad someone said it. the whole block will not come down. we're trying to learn how to use a scalpel remember? Good stuff will be REUSED.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 592
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hans57, that's an excellent idea. I second it. MSU would most certainly be pioneering non-traditional, agricultural areas. It could be a whole new field of farming, education and employment. Of course, would it be taken seriously?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2031
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

200 new jobs?? Thats a lot of Catholics flipping pizzas!

Its too bad MSU did not hook up with the High School operating a farm in N Corktown area.
http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=7026

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8227
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen elevations -- it's going to look nice. the new definitely respects the old

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's good to hear Rb336. It's sad when something new trashes an aesthetic old structure. Like have you ever seen the hideous addition to the Birmingham Library?? A grotesque crescent-shaped modernist building was built that is plenty ugly of itself, but also curves around and hides the original beautiful gothic (i think) building. It must be one of the premier architecture blunders in Oakland Co.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 605
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kryptonite, is the addition to the Birmingham Library recent? The last few years? I used to frequent the downtown Birmingham Library. It was quite nice, though cramped. I haven't been there in about three years. I'd hate to show up unprepared, to find a 'Soldier Field', flying saucer sitting atop the beautiful library.

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 449
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is nothing wrong with melding old and new, like the Soldier Field renovation or the Libeskind addition to the Royal Ontario Museum. If we ever want to grow out of being considered a cultural backwater, flyover city, then we need to embrace more dramatic and bold juxtaposition between the old and new. Much better than the post-modern, ye-old, brick and cornice, un-inspired crap that gets promoted time and time again on this website.

The Garden Theater Block provides a great opportunity for such an experiment in design. I hope the project's architects embrace it, and that the project's funders follow through with it.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no problem at all with modern architecture, but there's a time and a place for it, and a time and place for preserving and enhancing an existing structure's historical character. The new Soldier Field is a good example, because it's such an abomination. They took a beautiful structure that was also a pretty nice historical football stadium, and in the name of preserving its history stuffed it with a gigantic silver thing that dominates and completely diminishes the earlier structure, while at the same time looking completely awkward, blocking the view of the lake that was one of the old stadium's joys, and not being that much of an improvement as a stadium.

The Garden Theater is a historic structure in a city that has preserved far too few of its fine old theaters, or of its historical cityscape in general. I'm hoping, as I always do, for a historically sensitive renovation, and a preservation of the block's urban character and relationship to the pedestrian use of the street.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 875
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If we ever want to grow out of being considered a cultural backwater, flyover city, then we need to embrace more dramatic and bold juxtaposition between the old and new."

Really? What cities are destination cities because of the architecture of their buildings?

Tekla
Username: Tekla

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummm try New York, Chicago, Paris, Los Angles, Bilbao, Tokyo...the list goes on and on. Pretty much any major city in the world. Even Milwaukee.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8242
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago (overrated)
NYC
London
Berlin

that's about it

Baldwin's addition is ugly,
Soldier Field was vandalized
Libeskind addition is jarring, and hideous.

Sorry, but "new" and "innovative" don't always mesh with "good," Registeredguest. grabbing something because it is adventurous or to make a statement is no reason to grab it. granted, I would like to see something more interesting than Compuware. Still love the Cadillac Place proposal

Kryptonite

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1kielsondrive, I don't know how long the Birmingham Library addition has been in existence, it looks fairly recent. The new building is not very attractive and hides a beautiful old building that looks like it could belong on the Cranbrook campus, a very attractive place. From Chester St. it looks awful, all you see is a curved modern structure and part of the upper story of an attractive old building. Too bad, but IMO the project only serves to hide a beautiful structure with something not much more attractive than a parking garage. Actually some garages... :-)

Hey, Rb336, I agree, I think Detroit's skyline is prettier than Chicago's. Just my 2cents.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2168
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just called up there, that original addition to the Baldwin Library was constructed in 1980. I recall the uproar after it was upgraded, but since I was otherwise occupied, I had other things to worry about.

I do know that the 1927 main entrance was not on Chester but one street north, Martin, and the children's entrance was on Chester.

To contridict the 1980 date, the WSU virtual Library has a pic dated 1960. Obviously, those stairs in the photo below aren't ADA compliant.
baldwin 1960

The DTE Aeral site isn't detailed enough to determine
1967 areal of B-ham area.

As far as Soldier Field is concerned, they lost their Historical Marker when they put that chrome bedpan on top.

Novine

Post Number: 878
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question: "What cities are destination cities because of the architecture of their buildings?"

Answer: "Ummm try New York, Chicago, Paris, Los Angles, Bilbao, Tokyo...the list goes on and on. Pretty much any major city in the world. Even Milwaukee."

Of that list, I would say that Bilbao is the only "destination" city due to the architecture. I've been to NYC, Chicago, LA and even Milwaukee and while I did enjoy some of the architecture in each, I don't think I would ever make the trip to any of them just for the architecture. Those are great cities and places that people visit for many reasons. I think few people travel for the architecture alone.

Kryptonite

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, your "chrome bedpan on top" statement nearly resulted in peanut butter & crackers up the nose. Good synopsis, i obviously enjoyed it.

Nobody should underestimate Detroit architecture. The Penobscot, Fisher Bldg, Guardian Bldg, and Fox Theater are worth visiting from out of town. I myself have driven guests visiting from around the US and even the UK to those places. And I have taken people to see numerous Downtown churches.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 753
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just because you would go to certain cities as a destination for architecture does not mean other people would not go.

Novine

Post Number: 880
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Just because you would go to certain cities as a destination for architecture does not mean other people would not go."

Of course and I never claimed otherwise. I'm questioning the claim that Detroit's architecture is some kind of hinderance to attracting outside visitors or the validity of the claim that "we need to embrace more dramatic and bold juxtaposition between the old and new." Architecture is just one reason people visit great cities and the idea that throwing up some craptacular architectural landmark is going to bring throngs of people to Detroit is a bit far-fetched.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.