Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » DSR Street Cars at ANG Selfridge « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Searay215
Username: Searay215

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure if this has been posted before, but can anyone tell me why there are 2 1950's DSR Street Cars at the ANG Selfridge air base? And who owns them?
These photos were taken yesterday

http://img.photobucket.com/alb ums/v248/photo215/DSR/11230815 43a.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/alb ums/v248/photo215/DSR/11230815 42a.jpg

Thanks

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3765
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is one there to my knowledge. They're letting the transit museum in Mt. Clemens keep them there.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2948
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about now, but during warm weather you can visit the air museum on base and buy a fare onto the streetcars for a half hour ride on the tracks on/off the base. I did it and it was a lot of fun. A society owns them, and I was told they were bought back from Mexico City and restored.

Searay215

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Detroitnerd and Bigb23....I appreciate it.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3766
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those streetcars could use a barn. And they need some work too. The old PCC cars are incredibly durable, though. Know what I heard? The reason Mexico City retired them wasn't because they were breaking down, but because too many of them had been destroyed BY EARTHQUAKES to justify maintaining the fleet.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2950
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I might want to add that I think that there were 4-5 street cars there at the time, two running and in the process of restoration. As far as off base travel, I think I rode those pre - 9-11.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 546
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There have been extensive discussions on that(those) streetcars on DetroitYES in the past. Try the "Search" function.

Searay215

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not so sure this on came back from Mexico as it had a Woodward destination on the front where they put where its going. Just a thought..
Thanks to all!!

Bc_n_dtown
Username: Bc_n_dtown

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both PCCs belong to the Michigan Transit Museum. The cream one with the red trim was former DSR car #268 brought back from Mexico City around 1981 and repainted into its original DSR livery, while the other is a former Toronto PCC purchased by MTM in 1996. They were fortunate to retrieve car #268 in time since the last remaining former Detroit PCCs were destroyed in the 1985 Mexico City earthquake, while awaiting restoration.

BTW Searay215, I wouldn't put much credence in the "Woodward" sign destination to determine the car's Mexican history. Those roll sign curtains are easily interchangeable and probably came from a retired Detroit bus. I even have a couple of those roll signs in my basement.

Searay215

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your right Bc_n_dtown....and thanks for the info.

Bc_n_dtown
Username: Bc_n_dtown

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a photo of former DSR PCC #268 (ex-Mexico City 2268) when it first arrived at the Michigan Transit Museum in June 1981, and prior to being repainted in DSR colors.
(Joseph Testagrose collection photo)

dsr 268

...and speaking of the 1985 Mexico City quake. According to the numbers assigned to the cars when they left Detroit in 1956, this was what was left of what would have been former DSR PCC #231 after that magnitude 8.1 earthquake struck Mexico City on September 19, 1985.

2231 mexcty earthquake

The last of the ex-Detroit cars ran until 1984, and were undergoing restoration at the time of the quake. Salvageable parts from the destroyed cars were used to build 17 new cars.
(source: The Tramways of Mexico City)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3772
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long does a bus last, again?

Searay215

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its a shame that the transit museum painted it then let it go to hell. There is much rust and in total state disrepair. I know they don't have a budget, but could have given it to the Henry Ford Museum unless there is one already there.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3775
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. Henry Ford? Why do I think the Henry Ford museum would have probably put it in an exhibit called, "What the motor coach saved us from"? I imagine it depicting streetcars as place where child molesters lay in waiting, with a mannequin of a school child having her head cut off by the steel wheels.

Searay215

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I see where this discussion has gone....have happy Thanksgiving anyway.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2471
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And does the the Transit Museum also own diesel switch engine #1807 shown in one of Searay's photos?

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 591
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a very informative link. Thanks for the photos and information. You might want to check out the MUNI in San Francisco to see if they have any former DSR cars. They've been buying and restoring vintage street cars, from many cities, for years, to run on their non-subway lines throughout San Francisco. The vintage street cars have become a tourist attraction as well as a serious mode of transportation, throughout the city. The drivers are entertaining tour guides who often dress to appear from earlier eras. I think it's called the Municipal Transportation System, or MUNI for short.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3777
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Searay, one silly post does not a discussion derail. You're only at post no. 39. You'll see. :-)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3097
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And here's the link to the DSR Streetcar Memories thread in the DYes Hall of Fame: https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/60222.html?11973366 49

Happy Reading!

Expatriot
Username: Expatriot

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that San Francisco added a Detroit PUC car to their fleet last summer. These have become as popular as the cable cars with the tourists and are a great supplement to the overburdened transit system generally.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 596
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ExP, you've got it. S.F. street cars are as popular as cable cars because they go around the entire city, whereas cable cars are limited to the runs up and down Powell, California and Lombard Streets to and from the wharves. In some cases the street cars take the long way around because they can't go into the subways or tunnels to the Sunset, Ninth & Irving, etc. Yes, they're a great supplement to the transit system generally but also because they're popular and sturdy as all hell. They weigh tons. I've often been in buildings along their routes that shake furiously upon their approach. It's fun riding in them. Some days I'd take a book and ride every old street car I could find around every route.

Bertz
Username: Bertz

Post Number: 559
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did any of the 1920s era cars survive?

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 728
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 4:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kathleen,I got a box of stuff from my moms, The DSR books might be in there.I should make the trip to Selfridge to see the real cars.

Searay215

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog289, You will need to drive along the access road along the I-94 freeway to see them. Not sure who is allowed to drive there as I was with a 20 year retired army vet who has access to the whole base. If you go you will also notice that all the military housing is vacant.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 368
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm at Selfridge ANGB about once a month, I've never noticed the street cars, but I never travel on that part of the base that Searay215 mentioned. I'll have to look for them the next time I'm up there.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 578
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually the Henry Ford received a DSR Peter Witt streetcar for display there, and it sat outside for over a decade and saw no attention to the point where the steel was rusting through and the wood was rotting away. I believe it was acquired by the Illinois Railway Museum. Even after his death, the Museum continues the Henry Ford tradition of doing away with mass transit...

As an aside, only one of those PCC's at the Michigan Transit museum/Selfridge is a former DSR car (it's the first photo). The second one is from Toronto's TTC. It really is too bad what sad shape they are in. Both were painted quite nicely just a few years ago.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 579
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MUNI in SanFran does have a DSR painted PCC (debuted in 2007 I think), but it's not an authentic Detroit car. I don't think any other Detroit PCC's exist other than the one at MTM/Selfridge, to my knowledge.

Now, at least two 1920s era Peter Witt DSR cars do survive. I believe on the first page of the DSR Memory thread Kathleen posted above there is a link to the remaining DSR cars still out there.

Lansingfire
Username: Lansingfire

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.pthinc.com/shopDeta ils.cfm?p=17993&cat=176

Some of you might want to purchase.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.