Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Nissan pulls out of Detroit auto show... Chicago too. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ktkeller08
Username: Ktkeller08

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nissan is going to be a no-show at Detroit and Chicago this year. They site current market conditions as the cause.

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0081124/BUSINESS01/81124062/10 02/BUSINESS

I think its going to be a rough year for a lot of auto shows across the country this year, especially the ones put on by dealers who are really struggling right now.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 874
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the first really major automaker to pull out. Not all that surprising that they decide to launch new product in LA and skip the midwest shows. Due to the economy or not, it definitely diminishes Detroit's show not having the no. 3 Japanese automaker here. More room for the Chinese I guess.

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 344
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago's a much bigger market and Nissan pulled out of that, too.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3785
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure somebody will somehow find a way to pin the blame on how Cobo needs to be expanded. :P

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just heard on the news Mitsubishi is pulling out too. Fine with me, I skip the Japanese cars anyways.

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Land Rover pulled out too.

Ktkeller08
Username: Ktkeller08

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's six of them now: Nissan, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Rolls-Royce, Land Rover, and Ferrari. Porsche already left and isn't coming back for 09. For me I pretty much either don't really like these brands or I'll never be able to afford them, depending on which one.

Which makes me wonder... if Nissan dropped out I think that means Infiniti is gone too right? Well I can't afford an Infiniti either I guess, I just hope more don't bail.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9369
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless of whether we like these brands or not, it still feels kind of hollow not having ALL of the brands here at our gala auto event. Heck, over half of the cars there I can't afford nor would I want, but it's still nice to see them all in one place.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3957
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Smogboy. It defeats the purpose of having the international auto show when all the big name auto brands aren't there (except for American brands).

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 125
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow - this is really sad. It's like throwing a really great dinner party and even the strange yet exciting folks aren't coming. :-(

Makes you start to wonder if even your own neighbors and your family will dump on you too.

~Liza

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1714
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is going to be a huge economic downer for so many companies other than the big three.

I think it's scary. The negative financial impact will be felt in a number of areas.

This may seem inconsequential to many, but even the number of people modeling the vehicles will be impacted, right? Man, I don't like the sound of all this.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 876
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The more I think about it it does seem strange that a company the size of Nissan would be this strapped in their budget. The Chicago show draws over a million visitors so that's about 1.75 million people who walk by and look at your product. Where better for an auto company to spend their marketing dollars than an auto show?

Username: 1805

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No need to expand Cobo now.

Finally.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2943
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nissan is saying "Screw you Detroit".

I sure hope the new administration kicks these sonofabitches to the curb, and then clean out of the country. We need protectionism NOW.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5750
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

S&P downgraded Nissan earlier this month and changed the outlook from stable to negative.

http://www2.standardandpoors.c om/portal/site/sp/en/la/page.a rticle/2,1,3,0,1204841307533.h tml

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 361
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is more proof that the impact of this recession goes beyond just the Big 3. Sales are down across the board. Toyota and Honda simply have more cash to ride it out.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5752
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A comment over on autoblog said polling at the LA show found 80% of the respondents not looking to purchase a car this year.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3645
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like L.A. is becoming the main event.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2032
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before everyone jumps on the "I hate these companies" bandwagon you need to realize that most auto companies are hurting terribly this year. I have a feeling that many of them will not even make it to the 2010 Auto Show and fall the way of Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Eagle, and Geo. Consolidation is inevitable and will mean fewer products. Fewer products may make Cobo actually a more competitive place to hold autoshows because suddenly beheamouths like McCormick Place are too big. You also need to realize that new spaces will be open for this autoshow that will take some of the pressure off of Cobo. With major Ballroom facilities at all of these new and existing hotels we now have 100,000's of thousands of square feet of exhibition/meeting space downtown that is outside of Cobo.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 408
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The NAIAS seems to be falling out of the top tier of world auto shows. Hopefully this isn't permanent.

Stash,

You sure seem to take things personally.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think what's going to happen over the next year or two is that Detroit will unveil in Chicago or Detroit and the foreigns will do the west coast. If you think about it, it makes perfect sense.

If the Big 3 did all their unveilings here, the costs of travel, etc. etc. are lower (and almost all the major convention halls are expensive to set up in, union labor, yada yada yada so that's a virtual wash).

In this online world, where people can get information whenever they want, I see the auto show circuit having less prominence.

Cobo does not need expansion at this point, especially since it's biggest show is shrinking, but it does desperately need a refresh to help attract the conventions out there. Drive up the ramp to the garage - you've got crumbling concrete, dirty walls, outdated decor - the path from the parking garage to the main floor is absolutely ugly and needs to be addressed. But these are minor fixes. Paint, lights, stairway handle rails, carpet, signage, etc.

Get a good interior designer in there, do something modern and minimalist to go with the facade and styling, and save a bunch of money and get a bunch of benefit.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3648
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Cobo does not need expansion at this point, especially since it's biggest show is shrinking,

What if expanding Cobo made it so that Detroit could attract multiple conventions at overlapping times throughout the year? Thus filling up more hotel space throughout the year. Would it still not make sense to expand Cobo?

Also, why would you base the necessity of Cobo needing expansion on an abnormal situation such as this? The automakers are not cutting back because they suddenly realize there are too many car companies. They are cutting back because of outside influences (i.e. credit) that isn't allowing them to sell as many cars.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2948
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

""Stash,

You sure seem to take things personally.""

Yes I do. And more Americans need to as well. We didn't become a super power and the world's industrial leader by not caring.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2033
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is well placed for overlapping conventions. Look at all of the new convention space at the Book, MGM, Motor City, and Greektown. Add to this existing space at the Ren Cen, Antheneum, Pontch, State Fairgrounds, and suburbs and we have lots of meeting rooms, ballrooms, some of which are quite large.

Even the Novi Expo Center generates business for the CBD. Conversely, the CBD generates business for its major shows in the suburbs. If we want regional buy in to improve Cobo, we need to start accepting these facts.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7980
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pitiful! I hope Geally and Hang Seng fill up the Nissan's void. L.B. In the way our global economy is, every nation is operating in a loss. So much for flying cars.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IHD, There are too many brands, although maybe not too many companies. On the back side of this, GM will probably only have 3 or 4 brands instead 8 - and that also probably will require less space in total.

You subtract the foreigns (which I don't think will come back, I've talked to some marketing folks, they feel they get no benefit from coming to Detroit, especially now that they're viewed as the superior vehicle according to most studies), pair GM back 3-4 brands, and you may have dark portions of the hall unless they give the space away.

I do fear for the hotel rooms - I do believe they're overbuilt unless we create more tourist opportunities other than convention. We need a real, contiguous retail district downtown and a few other things that can be done a lot more efficiently than expanding Cobo and without having to deal with regional cooperation.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3649
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You subtract the foreigns (which I don't think will come back, I've talked to some marketing folks, they feel they get no benefit from coming to Detroit, especially now that they're viewed as the superior vehicle according to most studies), pair GM back 3-4 brands, and you may have dark portions of the hall unless they give the space away.

Well using GM as an example, did the less popular nameplates eat up a significant amount of space, or was it used up by elaborate displays for Chevy and Cadillac?

Does anyone have a diagram of the show floor layout for the 2008 show?

On another note, I personally always thought they just used the Auto Show as a way to sell expanding Cobo to the tax paying public. There will always be an Auto Show in Detroit, and it will always pump a lot of money into the local economy. Whether or not it remains the signature American auto show is in some ways irrelevant, if Detroit can increase and diversify the types of conventions it attracts throughout the year.

So the real incentive to expanding Cobo IMO would be attracting conventions that did not normally consider Detroit, hence all the new hotel space coming online recently. But the politics of the situation required the plan to expand Cobo to be sold as an attempt to retain the Auto Show.

I'm speculating, obviously, but how else do you explain city and state officials convincing hotel operators to expand their hotel space downtown?

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2816
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yes I do. And more Americans need to as well. We didn't become a super power and the world's industrial leader by not caring.

Caring about whom? It certainly wasn't the rest of the world. There is a reason this country has carried a poor reputation around the globe and it started well before GWB.

Every company that drops out shows more and more how irrelevant you have become even though you would like to believe otherwise.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5755
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Batty has a friend in the Detroit section, though this one isn't local.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2818
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try and remember what Assumption is the mother of.

Maybe then you will start to see the world without your Detroit and America is #1 glasses.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2949
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Caring about whom? It certainly wasn't the rest of the world."

This country has done more for foreign countries in the way of aid and relief than any other country on the planet, ever.

Sj, if you hate this country and it's people, this city and it's people so much, why don't you leave? I would. All you do is continually hang on these threads waiting to take a pot shot at the Big3, the city, the state, the country, the people. We must have something that really pisses you off. :-) I understand LOL

(Message edited by Sstashmoo on November 25, 2008)

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2950
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Maybe then you will start to see the world without your Detroit and America is #1 glasses."

We are #1, deal with it. We control the world's economies. Ours shakes, theirs crumbles. If it wasn't for the US and it's talent through innovation, you'd still be riding a donkey and communicating with smoke signals. We are the best and brightest, must suck for you.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.