Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Automaker stock « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5751
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just read something that I hadn't thought of - what if the employees (and maybe Detroit area people) made a grassroots effort to buy large chunks of stock, not only driving up the price but also getting a large voting block? I realize it's not as possible with Ford given the special voting shares, but what about GM? Would it be legal for the UAW to facilitate something like that? The stock's so cheap ($3.59 today) that 100 (or more) shares per employee or other concerned party could be doable. They've got 610.5 million shares outstanding.

I heard Village Ford was giving away 100 Ford shares with every new vehicle purchase.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2107
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that you will find that most GM employees and retirees (particularly the salaried ones) already feel they own too much GM stock, not to mention their Delphi shares ($0.02 each today) they received when that company was spun off.

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an acquaintance who saw the writing on the wall when Ford spun off Visteon. He was salaried. He retired about eight years ago with his Ford stock to be the bulk of his nest egg. Ouch! Regrets, I've had a few...

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 359
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I heard Village Ford was giving away 100 Ford shares with every new vehicle purchase."

They're doing that in South Carolina also. When I multiplied 100 times the price of the stock my first thought was big deal. Give me 0% financing instead.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5753
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, yeah, unless it goes back up to $40 in a year or so

kinda like lottery tickets :-)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3647
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

well, yeah, unless it goes back up to $40 in a year or so

kinda like lottery tickets :-)

Yeah, the odds of it hitting $40 in a year are the same as you winning the lottery...

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2108
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GM has about 400,000 employees and retirees. If each bought 100 shares today, they would increase their holdings by 40 million shares, which is 6.5% of the outstanding shares. That's not enough to get a voting block, unless they already owned 660 shares each.

In terms of the effect such a rush of buyers would have on the price of the stock, GM's underlying financials would remain unaffected and the stock price would soon revert to where the rest of the market believes it belongs.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 457
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you could get a group together to buy GM, it would probably turn out like the dog catching the car--now what do I do with it?

Given the companies' current financial condition, GM and Ford shares are very much like lottery tickets, but there might be better odds available elsewhere--if you want a lottery ticket auto stock, check out Lear. It might do better on an auto bailout than the automakers. But you need to remember that all of these are more about gambling than investing.

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I plan on buying as much Ford as I can once things settle down. This is a chance for people to make some money.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 876
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why wait? Are you expecting it to get cheaper? I'm not sure it's a good buy at any price but if it gets much cheaper, it's only because the company is going down the tubes.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.