Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Favorite Detroit Catholic Church » Archive through November 19, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Magic_mushroom
Username: Magic_mushroom

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone. I will be staying in Detroit this weekend and plan to attend mass Sunday. As I have seen in this forum, Detroit has many great old Catholic churches around. Anyone have some suggestions for a church that is a must see in Detroit proper? Thanks ahead!

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 397
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Joseph near downtown, Blessed Sacrement on Woodward, St. Florian in Hamtramck, Holy Redeemer on the SW Side, St. Aloysius downtown, St. Mary of Redford on the NW Side. Wow there are a lot. Take your pick!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7522
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Several of my favorite are these... St. Joseph (German Gothic Hall Church)... Sweetest Heart of Mary (at 2,500 seats the largest seating capacity)... and in Hamtramck... St. Florians (closest thing size wise to a soaring European Gothic cathedral nave).

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 921
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Assumption Grotto. Beautiful grotto in the back.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4728
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Josephat on the I75 service drive is beautiful. St. Jude on the upper east side is very large and imposing.

Bike4beer
Username: Bike4beer

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Anne http://www.ste-anne.org/

Mass is in Spanish on Sunday.

Nere
Username: Nere

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy Redeemer in Southwest Detroit or St. Anne's. Both beautiful churches. Fr. Don gives a beautiful homily at Redeemer.

(Message edited by nere on November 19, 2008)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6422
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorites are the Sweetest Heart of Mary, St. Josephat, and Old St. Mary's in Greektown. I'm actually not that big of a fan of the actual cathedral church.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7524
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Originally the Most Blessed Sacrament Cathedral (the cathedral church) was not intended to be the mother church of the archdiocese, but became that later after it was built.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 362
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy Redeemer

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2128
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Aloysius on Washington Ave is a half block from the new Book Cadillac. Same side of the street. It's services start at 11:30 AM on Sunday.

St Al's is not like most chuches at all. Most churches follow the Nave/Aspe/Transept layout. Holy Redeemer, Old St. Mary's, etc all follow that layout, the differences are in the doodads.

St. Al's is set up like some celestial ThunderDome. It's a whole different animal. I swear Tina Turner is going to pop out of the confessional any second.

http://www.stalsparishdetroit. org/worship.htm

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 287
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy Redeemer

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3086
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I had to choose one....Sweetest Heart of Mary.

(Message edited by Kathleen on November 19, 2008)

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 307
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Mary of Redford. Classic design.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10524
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Anne

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9186
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cathedral Church is very cool on the inside. I've pointed this out before, but the Cathedral is unfinished. It is supposed to have a large tower on it, that's why it looks kind of strange. But my FAVORITE part is this on their Web site:

quote:

He chose to design the Cathedral in the 14th-century English style of Gothic architecture, an early form of this style in which the features which one normally associates with Gothic architecture – soaring, pointed arches, wide expanses of stained glass, and elaborate tracery – are present, though in simplified and severe form. The massive pillars which support the roof (and eventually the central tower, should it be built) are more typical of Norman architecture, the architectural style which preceded Gothic.

Surely they would not consider putting a tower on at this point, even if they HAD the money?

Miketeevee
Username: Miketeevee

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweetest Heart of Mary. Beautiful church and a warm, welcoming congregation. But the building can be a little chilly during the winter.. so bring a scarf!

Jimb
Username: Jimb

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another vote for St.Marys of Redford (Grand River, 5 blocks west of Greenfield). Beautiful church inside and out.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most Holy Trinity in Corktown
St. Anne's in Mexican Town
Holy Redeemer in SW Detroit, but if you are staying in the downtown area, St Mary's in Greektown

Ednaturnblad
Username: Ednaturnblad

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Josaphat on Canfield and i75 - although large, it's a warm and inviting church. A magnificent icon of the Black Madonna on the main altar. They have awesome dinners there each month, too!

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So far St.Joseph off Gratiot and Shrine Of The Little Flower Woodward At 12 mile. Imported sandstone, marble, wooden sculptures galore,myriad statues......

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4868
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been to a lot of the ones mentioned so far and they all have nice buildings. The one with my favorite congregation though, was St. Charles Borromeo. Very diverse, friendly and spirited people. (When I was there last winter they were meeting in the basement to save on heat, so be forewarned.)

Rustic68
Username: Rustic68

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Mary of Redford is my vote...Northwest Detroit. Grand River btw. Greenfield and Southfield. Not sure where you will be staying however this is a very beautiful church. Have a nice weekend...

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 226
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Further on the east side, St. Jude's, St. Matthew's, St. Raymond

I guess the more appropriate question would be, where are you staying and how to you want to get there?

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 481
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too many to mention, but here is a website that will help you find the location of Catholic churches and their mass times:

www.masstimes.org/

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Post Number: 485
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are lucky enough to come on a Sunday that St. Albertus Polish Roman Catholic Church, on the SW corner of St. Aubin and Canfield, is saying Mass you will have an experience you will never forget. And, of course, it's all subjective, but for my money the most beautiful church in the Archdiocese!

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 944
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweetest Heart of Mary. russell and canfield,most beautiful church

Tompage
Username: Tompage

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweetest Heart of Mary, for sure. http://www.sweetestheartofmary .org/

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Cathedral Church is very cool on the inside. I've pointed this out before, but the Cathedral is unfinished. It is supposed to have a large tower on it, that's why it looks kind of strange.

That is the Episcopalian (Anglican) cathedral on Woodward and Hancock. The Catholic one is further up Woodward, on the corner of Boston.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 657
Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is one problem I would love to have! It's like a box of chocolates, isn't it? "Which one to pick...which one?"