Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Haunted Places in tri county area? » Archive through October 27, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitnative
Username: Detroitnative

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has probably been asked a million times.(I'm not savvy enough to find out) I am looking for any haunted places in my area. Shores, Eastpointe, ETC. Just looking to get the creeps and maybe actually stop being so skeptic. I'm sure there are a lot of stories out there. I've done some research but it all seems so corny. If anyone knows of a place that would scare the daylights out of a skeptic, besides Mcnichols and Gratiot :-) I would appreciate it.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3842
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm, Grand River & Greenfield scares me more than 6 mile & Gratiot.

Anyway, There looks to be a decent haunted house at Macomb Mall (near the old Crowley's).

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 259
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cemetery in downtown Farmington is haunted, on Grand River just west of Shiawassee.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f= q&hl=en&geocode=&q=farmington, +mi&ie=UTF8&ll=42.470134,-83.3 85372&spn=0.001792,0.003455&t= h&z=18

If you come in the western entrance, continue forward until you begin to go up the large hill. Stop and put your car in neutral. Your car will roll down that hill and continue to roll back UP the hill behind you. Once you find the sweet spot, you can just roll up the hill. I told my kids that there's a grave under the road there, and the ghost is pushing you off of his grave...

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2040
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in 1930, you could have visited "Boyer's Haunted Shack" in downtown Detroit next door to the Broadway Market on Broadway, between Grand River and Gratiot [map].

By August of 1941, you would have had to traveled to East Warren and Audubon to visit them.

(Message edited by Mikeg on October 25, 2008)

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4341
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supposedly, the cemetary next to the old Eloise complex is haunted.
Also, if you go down Denton Rd in Canton, and park near the bridge, you can hear babies cry, and see ghost lights

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2706
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This place is by me, and I pass it a couple times a week.

Spooky Locations from http://motorcityrock.com/forum /index.php?showtopic=2045

quote:

Dunn's Tomb - Leonard, MI A huge tomb that was built into the side of a grassy hill. Back then it was said to be haunted and monk spirits were there to kept an eye on the property. Some said that when returning to your car inhumanly hand prints would show up on your car. We never saw hand prints but we did hear weird sounds when we were walking (actually I was running by then) back to the car. After we were already in the car and driving down Dhraner Road we stopped at a four-way stop. Out of no where mud balls (for lack of a better term) started hitting the car... 9 of them in all. We were far enough away that unless one of the monks could run as fast as a cheetah, they couldn't have kept up with the vehicle. I still get really scared when I think about it. Drove by it about two years ago and to be honest I was really spooked.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9102
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't the Cadieux Cafe, the Hilberry, Theater, The Whitney and the Scarab Club haunted as well?

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 613
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I went to Dunns Tomb one day by myself. Granted, it was daytime, but still... Got out of the car and walked right up to it. Looked spooky. Did not really feel spooky, I just felt uneasy because it looked so spooky and had already heard some of the folklore.
One posting online said a kid died in there on a dare and his ghost will follow any black car in the area thinking its his buddy picking him up.I had a black car, and no ghost ever came after me, nor did the car in any way seem haunted after that.
Lots of stories are out there about Scripps Rd and further north, Blood Rd in Metamora. One night, around 11:30, my brother and I went down both to see if we could find anything.
Nada.
The stories are much more intriguing than reality,Im afraid.

Bigb23

Post Number: 2710
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But fun.

Jcole

Post Number: 4343
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blood Road runs into Rock Valley Rd between Metamora and Dryden. There was an old barn out there where they say a man killed his girlfriend and then hung himself.We used to cruise out there back in the 70's. Back then, you could still find the road, sort of. It was often a two tracker. Now, it's over grown completely in some places. The scariest part was losing the road and ending up in a field and not really knowing how to get back out.

Detmuscle
Username: Detmuscle

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out Trowbridge Bridge in Bloomfield Hills

http://www.strangeusa.com/View Location.aspx?locationid=5136

Thoswolfe
Username: Thoswolfe

Post Number: 84
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This site is a little dated, 5 + years since the school was proposed :

http://www.strangeusa.com/View Location.aspx?locationid=5467& desc=Redford,%20Mi%20Location% 20Type%20Haunt%20Mi

I wonder if the founding pastor haunts the new owners (as he did myself when he WAS alive)

Update- Archdiocese 'allowed' St Agatha to borrow over a mil from them that they could not repay, to keep the H.S. open. THEN they said "Time to close up the entire parish, you cannot repay your debt"

Put on market for about 5 mil, though I doubt Ellis Academy paid asking price, Greater Grace has a way of negotiating real estate bargains. Golf Courses, Synagogues, Churches, abandoned amusement parks....

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 289
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Battlegrounds have more paranormal activity, in my opinion. There are 2 in the area. One is at Elmwood Cemetery (Battle of Bloody Run) which would be kind of hard to do after dark, and the other is in Monroe, here's the link:

River Raisin Battlefield

I visited a cemetery in Niagara Falls a few years ago, it was the site of what is known as the "Canadian Gettysburg" Was during the War of 1812. You could feel the confusion, quite noticable.

(Message edited by townonenorth on October 25, 2008)

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 194
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the Scotch Settlement Cemetery on N. Kidder Rd. just south of Almont and north of Romeo just east of M-53. There has been documented cases of Paranormal activity in the old boneyard.

An added bonus is an upscale sprawl-sub going up behind the east end of the graveyard. Maybe some poltergeist action from the disturbed ungrateful dead. Also check out the cool obelisk nearly hidden by overgrowth on the east end. Misfits and pariahs were said to be interned on the outskirts of cemetery property.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 658
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I,m outta the loop, Greater Grace owns ST.Aggies?. But back to the hauntings I,VE heard of Dunns Tomb. Being on the West Side and living by the old Eloise Complex. I would have to say there are alot of scary{paranormal} stories out there.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"""Battlegrounds have more paranormal activity, in my opinion. There are 2 in the area. One is at Elmwood Cemetery (Battle of Bloody Run) which would be kind of hard to do after dark..."""

True-hit, with this one. Son & I visited the cemetery on October 17th - specifically, the area surrounding Parent Creek...extremely unusual vibe; must be visited to be appreciated.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5554
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a ghost in the building that houses the Anchor Bar. It's a woman and she's playful.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9109
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a recent article in the Free Press about the Scarab Club and some of the activity that's gone on there...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2008810180331

Bigb23

Post Number: 2714
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a few yards from Dunn's tomb out in the middle of no where - the grave of the World Trade Center architect, Minoru Yamasaki.

(Message edited by Bigb23 on October 26, 2008)

Bigb23

Post Number: 2715
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump - in the night.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6709
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Large Marge

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 614
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive been on those sites plenty of times. What an embarrassment. Typos left and right, and major spelling errors. Then they have to update them.
One site (I think Shadowlands) reported that Troy Athens High School was haunted by a kid driving a Dodge Spirit that got decapitated one morning driving through a closed gate. Turns out, the kid is actually alive. I wonder if he himself emailed the site to clear things up. "Hey boss, the ghost emailed me."
I find it interesting that such a high number of schools are on there. I think there were several just in Dearborn/Dearborn Heights alone. Novi High school is one, at least one in Livonia (Franklin), and many colleges.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 392
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dunn's Tomb is at Lakeville Cemetery? May have to go revisit that place. I actually stumbled upon (literally!) Mr. Yamasaki's grave last year and submitted photos to findagrave.com

I've also heard of the Denton Road bridge in Canton. I just drove by that last week and thought of it. I should check that out one day. Also, the Denton Cemetery nearby is where the body of Jane Mixer was found. I thought she was one of the "Michigan Murders" victims but maybe I'm wrong.

Bigb23

Post Number: 2730
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dunns Tomb.

Jcole

Post Number: 4350
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For 30 years, they treated Jane Mixer as one of John Norman Collins' victims, but her niece started doing research on her murder, and a new suspect was found and convicted in 2005.
Here's a link to the case Jane Mixer

Whittier70
Username: Whittier70

Post Number: 216
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anybody besides me ever heard of a haunted spot on strasburg st near 7mi?

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 197
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whittier70....the notorious spot on Strasburg was known as "Knock-Knock" Street. Driving down Strasburg produced loud knocking noises said to have been the body of a child struck by a car and then drug for a good distance still alive and pounding on the car's fender. A hollow spot in the road was later found to be the cause of the eerie effect. Similar tales of this type of haunting abound in urban legend.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"""For 30 years, they treated Jane Mixer as one of John Norman Collins' victims, but her niece started doing research on her murder, and a new suspect was found and convicted in 2005."""

Wow...that particular murder trial & conviction, has got to be one of the more unusual cases...ever

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 660
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mom said she used to go down "knock-knock"st back in the 50,s. A former co-worker of mine showed me the house on Martin St where there was some reported hauntings in the early 60,s. My Mom also said she heard about that one also back then.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2209
Posted on Monday, October 27, 2008 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard Ty Cobb's house in Woodbridge haunted, a red light appears or something?