Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » The cost of baked goods « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always loved the stuff at Avalon, but on a recent trip was charged $11.50 for a small loaf of bread and two muffins. Yikes!!! Maybe they should move to Birmingham?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4795
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the cost of ingredients, that isn't so bad. Even the cheap soft crappy bread at Kroger is expensive, now.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 369
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, the price of wheat has more than doubled in the last year.

On top of that, they use organic wheat grown by the Amish in Missouri, it's even more expensive.

Python, what loaf did you buy?

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 4071
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Python - gosh at that price eat all of it and don't let a crumb of it get moldy! I'll bet you were charged at least 5 bucks for the muffins.

When we were in San Diego in 2002 I almost had a coronary over the price of Wonder Bread there. It was $3.59. Just ordinary bread. Now with the price of ingredients going up and up, it won't be long and we'll be paying that here.

Anyone here that lives on the left coast that can chime in with what you're now paying for Wonder Bread?

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought they quit making wonder bread..... I think Im the coast you are referring to. Los Angeles here. Maybe they just dont carry it here anymore as it isnt gluten free and approved by paris hilton. sigh

(Message edited by n7hn on November 25, 2008)

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 224
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got the small loaf of farm bread and two cranny branies. I know
they use good stuff and are alleged to be fair with their employees, but as I left and paid the panhandlers out front, it occurred to me that perhaps I had been schtupped.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 370
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry about the prices. You said it though, they are fair to their employees, so that jacks up the price.

Besides, everyone needs a good schtupping once in a while.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Love Avalon ,Once a week visitor. Best Oatmeal Raisin cookies and Rye Bread in town ,pricey but worth it ..but i am getting tired of the panhandler with the drumsticks, very aggressive almost blocks your way..anyone else have this feeling????

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 413
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Python,

Granted, it is fairly expensive, but the reasons given above for that are valid. Further, it is not very expensive as far as artisan baked goods go - not only is it my favorite bakery, it is cheaper than any of the other artisan bakeries I've seen. I'd chalk that up, at least in part, to being in Detroit rather than California or even Chicago. I miss being able to shop there.

I've never felt bothered by Larry (I think that's his name), the drummer.

Cmyk
Username: Cmyk

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's important to spend my money as close to home as possible. Sure the bread and baked goods may be more expensive at Avalon but I feel better about supporting local business. The $4.00 I spend on a loaf of wheat bread ensures that (hopefully) Avalon will be around for a very long time. I'd hate to be talking about Avalon closing due to lack of support. Keep buying local. Additionally, I'm not sure I could function without at least one vegan oatmeal cookie per week. They are the s-h-i-t.

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Avalon has "day olds" for VERY cheap that they put on the baker's rack on the side. At least, that's where I find stuff on the weekend. Try looking there for bread and such. Day old Avalon bread is FAR FAR better than chemcal-loak wonderbread. They also have bagged day old brownies (yummy peanut butter chocolate) and other items... Cheap, Delicious = WIN WIN

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 416
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, forgot about the day-olds! I've never seen loaves there, but it's great for picking up sweets even if loaves don't make it there. A loaf from Avalon doesn't have a long shelf life because it isn't loaded with multisyllabic preservatives, so you need to either limit how much you buy at once, put it in the fridge after 3-4 days (quality goes down a touch but it stretches the life out) or wrap it up tight in the freezer for later use. Unless you use a lot of bread per week (family) the added cost isn't too much.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2751
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you say something nice to Larry, he does a riff in your name. Drums are built to carry our prayers to the spirits, and everyone could use some of that. :-)

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 2199
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're ever near Grand Blanc/Flint, some of the best bread I've ever had comes from Great Harvest Bread Co. Store is on Perry Road in GB, and they have a booth at the Farmers' Market in Flint. $4-$5 for a loaf, but it is worth it. There must be something in the water.

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love Avalon (also Roxy Music) and all they do to help out community activities. They do not get enough accolades for the products they donate.

For a change of pace, if you are in the neighborhood, check out the small selection of breads at Randazzo's Produce on Outer Drive near Seven Mile at the rail line. Exceptionally good breads from a Windsor bakery usually around $2.00 a loaf. Don't know how they do it in this day and age.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.