Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Biking and Walking to Work Statistcs « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 738
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just spent far too much time pulling Census Bureau statistics on how many people bike or walk to work. Detroit and most other Michigan cities certainly have room for improvement when compared to places like Chicago and Portland.

One conclusion that can be drawn is women don’t bike to work as frequently as men, but especially in some areas such as Wayne County, Southfield, and Grand Rapids. Even in more bike friendly cities like Ann Arbor, Chicago, and Portland, women workers are much less likely to bike to work. There is no corresponding gender difference among those walking to work in many of these regions (the City of Detroit is an exception). In Metro Detroit, women walk to work more often than men (1.6% vs. 1.4%).

Unfortunately I did not pull public transit numbers for these same regions. I'll leave that opportunity for someone else.
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3789
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it's because they have to swing by day care at the end of the work day?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.