Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Another mansion - old buildings for sale « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not from Detroit but there is another old mansion -this by Louis Kemper for sale at 530 Parkway - a few blocks from the Mayor's Mansion (not prison lol). I called the realtor and he was honest about needing a $50k roof and damage -no view etc. Its priced at $495k and been on the market 4 years. A more realistic price would be about $175 even Zillow is $237. It was purchased for $80k sometime back.

Does anyone know anything about this ?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6815
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you mean Parkview?

http://www.loopnet.com/propert y/15592897/530-Parkview/

I'm sure the taxes and heating bills alone would kill you...

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6816
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's some more background on the place:

http://detroit1701.org/The%20C astle.html

Ocean2026

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALW thank you - yes that's where I saw it - the tax would be over $13,000 if homesteaded if they used that as a value. In your second link it mentions the city assessor listing the value at $150k which is probably accurate if its not too bad off. It seems like it would just continue to deteriorate if they don't replace the roof- they also don't seem to want to sell it with that price.

How is that neighborhood ? Is it a good location? Friendly?

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1625
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked at the house next door...it was real nice...I even almost convinced my wife to move there and she is waaaay less pro-Detroit than I...it backed right up to the water, though, no yard. That was a deal breaker for her. The mansion next door (the one this thread is about) caught our attention when we were there. Its beautiful. Very beautiful.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 716
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ocean, I was inside the house about 10 years ago when it was "The Castle" and it was in excellent shape. The owner Sean, gave my ex and I a tour because we were thinking of having our wedding there.

Everything was restored and I doubt it would have gone to hell in that short of time especially since it hasn't been abandoned anytime recently.

Ocean2026

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Detroitej and 1953 - the broker said it needed an entire new roof and there was plaster damage - my guess is the leaking in the past few years has caused the damage.

How is the woodwork and layout inside?

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we also toured for possible wedding location. it was a bed and breakfast when we were looking and many events were held there. very beautiful building. the upkeep must be unimaginable.

drove by it recently. still a great piece of real estate.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 721
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The woodwork was beautiful, hardwood floors and trim all around as well as a lovely staircase.

Its been awhile, but I remember it was quite spacious in all the rooms.

The only thing I thought at the time was it must cost a pretty penney to heat the joint in the winter.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a house of such amazing proportions and grandeur, going for a pittance. it's an icon of how far detroit has fallen, and how little hope practical investors have for its renaissance. could the city buy the property to help buoy the investment potential in that area?

Ocean2026

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully if the walls are thick there is some insulation.

Carl - I don't think the city has funds to buy such buildings- it seems to have quite an inventory of land already.

There are other mansions on the market maybe not quite as grand but much cheaper there is one on Chicago that sold for over $200k a couple of years ago now listed for about $29 and a big one on Lincoln too,

There are many buidings that need to be saved - I would think the best way would be instead of buying the city should give tax breaks. Buffalo another city with some old treasures, has areas where if one improves a building they won't be taxed on the new higher value.

No one has commented on the area that parkview is in - I would guess its a very small neighborhood that is nice. Perhaps some of the high-rises nearby are not that nice- I don't know.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys, that's in the Berry subdivision. About as good as it gets on the east side of Detroit. Around the corner from the Manoogian Mansion and walking distance to the water taxi that will take you over to the Detroit Yacht Club.

If you have the money after the acquisition to send your kids to private or parochial school, you are probably alright. I believe that they have their own neighborhood security team.

Hope someone jumps on it.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7560
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The house next door to "The Castle" used to be "The Blanche House" bed and breakfast. That was aptly named, since it looks like a miniature of the White House.

IIRC, the bed and breakfast owner may also have owned the Castle. From what I heard, the B&B owner eventually died of cancer, and it stopped being used for that purpose.

Ocean2026

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked the crime stats for the area on the Detroit Police site and on Parkview there were two auto thefts and near the corner of Parkview and Jefferson a few other crimes during the past 30 days. I had a feeling that wasn't too bad for Detroit and also checked 3971 Block of Lincoln, near Grand River and that wasn't much worse. I tend to feel that some areas where most of the houses are gone are going to have less crime.

Theres a nice old mansion on 3971 Lincon in the $60k range but I will at least keep my eye on Parkview- I have a thread about local tax policies here and I'm afraid at how many times higher the bill will be in Detroit, than it is in my town on the Texas Coast. Summers are hot here though and Detroit seems a great contrast and more pleasant.

In Texas if someone comes into your house you just blow their head off- lol

Anyway this thread is specific to 530 Parkview and I shouldn't ramble on - I appreciate all the informati0n so far.

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked at that house just over a year ago, went inside, etc.

There is plaster damage and other problems from it sitting exposed to the elements. The problem for me is that the carriage house is another private residence, so you have just a few feet around the back of the castle and nothing else.

You also do not have canal access as that belongs to the other house. If I could have bought both of them together I would have given serious consideration to that. My intention was to live in the carriage house and use the castle as a B&B and building to have weddings, etc.

But no yard was a deal breaker. I think it could / should be had for under $200,000 with the need to put another $200,000 into it.

Ocean2026

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gildas that was the most informative post so far on this property. Cyberhomes lists its value at $136k

Do you remember if there are any views of the river ? Any nice views at all?

They say 13,000 sq ft. Is there more than one entrance? Could it be a duplex- up and down?

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 202
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beware of Cyberhomes.

I just checked my house they are off on the square footage, # of bathrooms, value, lot size and assesed valuation for tax purposes. They are batting 100. They even have the type of heat wrong. Those two online services are not accurate.

Gildas

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ocean,

I think $136K would be a fair bid.

I do not think that there were any really good views of the river. The canal behind the property is nothing to look at and you do not have access anyway.

Perhaps from the second or third floor you could see the river, however when the trees are filled out, I think much of that view would be blocked.

There are a few entrances, the front door, side door (to the left as you look at it) there is also basement access on the left side. I think there is a back door to the kitchen which you would have easement rights to.

There is a main stairwell which is quite wonderful and a back staircase for the hired help.

It really is not setup to be a duplex, the main floor is all kitchen, living rooms, dining rooms and the like. I suppose you could convert some of those rooms, but it would add to the restoration cost and take away from the character.

On the second level there are a few rooms, not all have a attached bathroom, i.e. a suite, but it is set up that it would be easy to do, according to the contractors I had look at it with me.

The third floor is huge and wide open, I thought that it could be finished into a large ballroom for weddings, meetings, etc.

There have been updates to the property recently, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, etc. Were all intact when I inspected the property.

Again the lack of space in the back and parking in the front kept me from going forward with the deal. Sad really as it truly is a unique property.

Perhaps when they are both available.

Ocean2026

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gilda - well when the carriage house comes on the market buy it and I'll get the Castle and you can use all but the very top for your B and B. My kids and I will use the top for vacations now and then. YOu can have access to both and we can walk to the canal.

No rush though I expect the national and regional economy in Detroit to continue to deteriorate and houses such as this will only get cheaper.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3751
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't even border the canal, much less the river:

http://atlas.freshlogicstudios .com/?cp=42.35788057424049~-82 .98261734314333&style=b&lvl=2

If you think a further deterioration of the local economy will provide you with a bargain on that house, you'r crazy. You need to get your ass up here and see if for yourself.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ocean, I grew up in that neighborhood, and used to mow lawns for the Blanche House Inn and Castle (the bed and breakfasts of which you are talkin' about)

The neighborhood is among detroit's most safe, and it was an AWESOME place to grow up...

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2207
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I know, Berry Subdivision tends to have less crime than a lot of other neighborhoods, because the neighborhood is only accessible from one side -- East Jefferson. For what it's worth. Also, Berry Sub shares the same private security patrol with Indian Village & West Village.

That is unusual that the carriage house is owned separately from the main house... there are no house/carriage house combinations in Indian Village for example which are separated like that.

Ocean2026

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks you guys -I will not be in a position to buy until stuff I am selling now sells.
I really do believe everything in the Detroit area will be cheaper over the next 6 months - triple whammy 1. National economic downturn 2 Michigan economic downturn 3 Specific job losses in the Detroit area.

I believe everyone that that area has less crime than the average in Detroit but if you check the last 30 days on the Detroit Police website there were two auto thefts right on that block of Parkview and it looks like a robbery on the corner of Parkview and Jefferson. That might be nothing for Detroit but in my little neighborhood of 491 houses-thats more than we've had in a few years combined.

I also believe and it was either the AP or Wall St Journal today that said the next collapse will be in commercial real estate. 530 Parkview may be commercial but there are many interesting commercial buildings with nice architecture in Detroit. Some of these would make an interesting residence with some work.

Gildas

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason why the carriage house was allowed to be divided is because the "castle" does not have any historic designation unlike Indian Village, that is also why it is zoned as a commercial property.

On the plus side that means that in restoring the building you would not need to stick to any historic format or code, thus potentially saving you a lot of money.

Take care all.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the city's website, the Berry Subdivision including the Castle property is a local historic district just like Indian Village, Boston Edison, etc. Any exterior work on the house would be regulated by the Historic District Commission. Historic designation for that house is a good thing because it qualifies the property for some very valuable tax credits if a restoration is undertaken.

Also, it's doubtful that 530 Parkview has any kind of commercial zoning. Years ago, some B&B's operated in the city through an obscure zoning loophole that has subsequently been closed. There's a good chance that the zoning is still R-1. Some kind of multi-family zoning is also possible. Commercial zoning, probably not.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.