Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroiter Socialer Turnverein « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zitro
Username: Zitro

Post Number: 2432
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Among my matchbook collection I found these from the Detroiter Socialer Turnverein. I can't find much about the place other than it being a German Social Club. It looks like the UAW Headquarters now resides on this property. I picture this place being fairly opulent somewhat like the DAC. It had a swimming pool, bowling and billiards & private dining rooms. Anyone else have some history about this place or have any pictures?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2165
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a worldwide social movement that concentrated its reforms via athetic competion. They had rallies/meets out on Belle Isle ... there are some pics in WSU virtual library.

Not too sure when the Jefferson Ave building was torn down ... 197o something

I think it was on Jefferson new Seminole in Indian Village

pix link

Zitro

Post Number: 2433
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gnome, nothing super spectacular about the front facade of the building. It would be interesting to see the inside.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The club's building was on E. Jefferson between Fischer and Crane. I knew a kid who lived around the corner whose family were German-American holdovers in the neighborhood and whose father's family had apparently been very important in the Turners club, as they called it.

The building that is there now is not the UAW's headquarters, that's Solidarity House, a little further to the west on the south side of Jefferson. It's the Dave Miller building which houses the UAW's retiree center and some other UAW services.

That whole neighborhood was once very German back towards the turn of the 20th century. The still-standing building on Mack between Seminole and Maxwell (fronting on Maxwell) which now houses Greater Macedonia Baptist Church was built in 1928 as Deutsches Haus, a German community center. I very briefly attended Cub Scouts in the gym there in the late '60s.

Eastsideal

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, I believe the club's building was torn down earlier than the 1970s, as there was a 1950s style yellow brick building there when I was a kid that I think was mostly medical offices. It was eventually taken over by the UAW and incorporated into or replaced by the current structure.

Zitro

Post Number: 2438
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would think that there were some trophies and other momento's that must have been saved.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7563
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were once many different German social clubs in Detroit. Most have disappeared or merged.

The oldest surviving is the Detroit Schwaben Unterstütsungs Verein, founded in 1883.

Another of the oldest is Carpathia Club of 1913.

Others are the GBU Saxonia and Rheingold Maennerchor, both of which are still choral societies.

Most of the surviving German clubs today fall under the umbrella of the German American Cultural Center organization, which used to have their own clubhouse at the newer "Deutsches Haus" on Conner north of 7 Mile Rd. That was next door to where the Polish Century Club used to be.

Today the Poles have moved to Troy, and most all the German clubs are now housed in the new Carpathia Club hall on Utica Rd. near Plubrook in Sterling Heights.

Eastsideal

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Harmonie Club, for which Harmonie Park is named, was a German-American club too I believe. I've always guessed from the name that it was founded as one of the singing clubs of that era. The building is still there, although the club has been gone since some time in the '70s.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7564
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the 1849 founded Harmonie Club was Detroit's 2nd oldest surviving club (after the 1822 founded Detroit Boat Club).

They had a 2 lane bowling alley in the basement, and the 3rd floor was a ballroom with 4th floor as a balcony all around the 3rd floor space.

Another long gone German club on the east side was the Saenger Club, which had their home in the "Saenger Halle" located on Harper near Chalmers/Hayes.

Gnome

Post Number: 2170
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistock, are you aware of a German social Club on Jefferson a block or three west of Alter? It is on the right hand side as you head downtown.

Some church is sort of being run out of the place. I called down there about a year ago and no one knew anything about any Germans. (which was one of those really frustrating Detroit-style conversations, but that's another story)

I can't make out the script and thought you might know.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 393
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The church you are talking about was St Columbo, An Episcopalian and very German church. The church was sold many years ago to a different denomination. The church sits on the side street behind what was a German community center owned by St Columbo which fronts Jefferson. As far as I know the current church is viable and they rent space out. The second floor is currently occupied by Creekside Community Development Corporation who rent from the church. The first level on Jefferson is occupied by I think Crossroads and a resale shop called Trudy's Place. The shop is the only vistage left of German influences. The resale shop was started as an outreach program by Gertrude Siegerlund when the church was still very German. Her name stayed. My best guess if you are looking for German Eastside history, most likely church archives would have been sent to the Grosse Pointe Episcopalian on Jefferson/Lakeshore Drive.Another source for German town history might be Grace Church, on Lakepointe and Kercheval, GPP. As German town expanded via migration this church was created. They have a decent written history of how the church came to be and how it morphed. The pastor is Margo Allan and I am sure she will be happy to share this written history with you. Good luck on your research. My maiden name is translated from German to be stone hewer. Consequently, German history in this town holds some interest for me.

Gnome

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, thanx Sumas, ... I don't have any family interest in that church, just a general historical interest.

It it looks like a pretty neat building, again thanx for the info.

Zitro

Post Number: 2445
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool stuff everyone, I knew if I threw those matches out there someone would know about the place. Still wish there were some inside pics of the place.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.