Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » What would Chrysler import? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5759
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This chart lists import car sales for both Chrysler and GM. I know GM could be bringing over a handful of European cars each month but what would Chrysler's be? I'm guessing products from Canada and Mexico are included as domestics since Ford shows no imports.

http://online.wsj.com/mdc/publ ic/page/2_3022-autosales.html# autosalesE

Mopardan
Username: Mopardan

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A shot in the dark...I remember Daimler-Chrysler would be bringing the "Smart Car" over. I've seen quite a few more on the roads down here since gassing up required taking out a second mortgage.

The Smart Car

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 3125
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrysler has reached agreements with Nissan to produce small B and C segment vehicles. They will be Nissan's rebranded as Dodge. They were working with Chery to produce a small car.

Chrysler is also designing and building the next Nissan Titan Pickup truck. It will be based on the new dodge truck. Chrysler designed and is building Volkswagen's new minivan.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 419
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure exactly what is meant by 'import' in the WSJ table, but I cannot think of what could fall under that category by Chrysler.

There are probably still some unsold Crossfires sitting somewhere, but those are all at least a couple of model years old.

Everything else sold in the US is built in the NAFTA zone. The Nissan rebadge is to be sold in Mexico and Latin America only.

Sprinters are built in germany, I believe.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2759
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 70s, Chrysler sold rebranded Mitsubishi cars. I had one, a Dodge Colt, and it was a great little car. When I went over to Solidarity House one time, though, I got all kinds of flak for driving a Japanese car. I defended that my dollars went to support Chrysler, and it was Chrysler's issue. At least the car was still in one piece when I left.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could it have something to do with GEM (Global Electric Motorcars)? I know they're headquartered in Fargo, N.D. but maybe they're manufactured overseas.

http://www.gemcar.com/company/

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2034
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The GEM website says the vehicles are made in Fargo, with mostly domestic parts.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 633
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"In the 70s, Chrysler sold rebranded Mitsubishi cars. I had one, a Dodge Colt, and it was a great little car. When I went over to Solidarity House one time, though, I got all kinds of flak for driving a Japanese car. I defended that my dollars went to support Chrysler, and it was Chrysler's issue. At least the car was still in one piece when I left."

Thats a very rare car now! Do you have any pictures of it?
They also sold a compact "Challenger" (and Plymouth Sapporo) in the late 70s. If you can find one now, buy it! Youll be the only one around with one. The Arrow name was used on both a liftback-like car and a compact pickup.
My favorite, though, was the Isuzu-built Buick/Opel sold by GM. I estimate fewer than 500 still exist in North America. Thats the ultimate obscure vehicle.

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 634
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the last existing Isuzu Opels
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s trawberrycouple/sets/721576039 24878711

'78 Dodge Challenger
http://www.msapporo.com/Dodge/ DChallen.htm

Plymouth Arrow coupe
http://jalopnik.com/344557/198 0-plymouth-fire-arrow-with-bon us-malaise-louver-poll

'79 Colt
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/ 2335536

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3020
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hp - Can you post a pic of that Isuzu Opel on Flickr ? I get a message that it's a private page.

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 635
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I found a better one on Cardomain- better condition than the car on Flicker and easier to see.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/ 2688704

The only reason I know what these cars are is because in the early 80s, as a little kid, a guy living nearby had TWO of them. His house burned,he moved his cars and after he never rebuilt. Ive never seen another one since.

Otter

Post Number: 421
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HP,

That Isuzu looks (size, apertures, glass, door skins) like it's on the platform that was shared between the US Chevette, European OPel/Vauxhall Kadett (I think), and the Isuzu I-mark a bit later in the US.

Correct, or no?

O.

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 638
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Wikipedia, youre correct on both counts- The Chevette and I-mark.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 248
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hpgrmin,
I owned the ultimate "obscure vehicle" imported by Chrysler: The Plymouth Cricket. I had a 1971 model, and my gf at the time had a '72. Those were the only two years they were imported. They were actually Hillman Avengers,made in England. They were pretty good little cars mechanically, but not meant for North American winters! I used to get about 36 mpg on the highway with the 4-speed stick. I bought the Cricket rather than a VW Beetle because the Cricket had 4 doors instead of 2, and had a decent heater. Little did I know that Chrysler would abandon them after only two years. I kept mine until 1976. I saw a picture of one in a junkyard several years ago, but not a "live" once since the early 1980's. You can get get more info and photos by Googling Plymouth Cricket.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i hate to say it, but chrysler is all but done. they have been walking people out en masse over the past few days, very quietly, and i doubt the business has a future. thousands of people have been eliminated. for anybody who knows the place, seeing e4003 desolate - empty, and lights out - is pretty foreboding.

i wouldn't be surprised if all the engineering, design, manufacturing, accounting, and financial information owned by chrysler wasn't sucked out of auburn hills, and transported to computers owned by tcs in india.

i wouldn't be surprised to see the complex in auburn hills largely vacant before long.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mash, i'm truly sorry to hear of your distress. my grandfather started a charter chrysler dealership; it actually began with his selling the willys-overland. i always admired his fierce loyalty to the company. when i was hired by chrysler, i felt proud and loyal too. i had one of my grandpa's old copper-plated master mechanic statues on my desk when i started there in 2000. needless to say, after seeing the way management behaved, i'm not so excited about the company any more.

but hey, i'm at ford now, and i'm proud to be there. the management team is very forthright and inspiring. chrysler was secretive and misleading, with a smile. it's too bad.

mash, again, i'm sorry to hear that this is so upsetting to you. this whole thing makes me think that ultimately we may learn to appreciate friends and family in a way we forgot when long-distance phone calls and airline tickets began to keep us "connected."

God bless!

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 639
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newport1128-
My dad had a cricket before I was born. Sadly, he had no pictures of it.Rumor has it two or three are still out there somewhere.
after that he had a Duster. I wish he kept that one. i would have loved to have that in my high school days, all restored.

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 279
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carl, I used to work at Ford's Design Center in Corrosion Protection. They were all like family and most of the engineers started on the line at Rouge. I loved them all and miss them. I should have never left. My husband is at Chrysler and he can tell you the part number for a screw on a 1932 Plymouth. He loved that company. His family has worked at Nash, Ford, AMC and DCX (nasty, arrogant, thieving Germans...and I can say that! I am German!) and now for those three shithead dogs that guard the gates of hell!

I'm not just afraid for my own family, though that is weighing heavily on me, I am afraid for everyone who works/worked there. They were/are loyal. Cerberus, otoh....

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 399
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sprinter vans are actually built in South Carolina.

http://www.allpar.com/model/up coming.html

Otter

Post Number: 428
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yak,

Thanks for the correction. My (bad) memory told me that the SC Freightliner plant had gotten cancelled before anything was built there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.