Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » DPS buildings up For Sale « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2175
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/article/2 0081127/NEWS01/811270340/1001/ NEWS

quote:

The Detroit Public Schools wants to sell 12 closed schools and three vacant parcels, according to a statement released Wednesday.

No, Cass Tech isn't for sale, but the Lonnie Bates Academy of Embezzelment is.

I'm a bit surprised at the prices these fools think they're going to get. The shock for me came when I finally understood that all DPS administration offices are in the Fisher Building. What is that all about? Couldn't Connie Scallawag and Company move into a closed school? Do they really need spend what little money they have on high-priced rent?

A link which will get you to the PDF of the properties:
http://www.detroitk12.org/admi n/bs/bss/fm/properties/

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome what an understatement you made! "I'm a bit surprised at the prices these fools think they are going to get" A bit ? those prices are probably 10x times too high- seriously. They will waste time and money and turn off any prospective buyer.

Old school buildings in nice neighborhoods in NY ks etc sell for a fraction of the price for this junk.

My suspicion is that when the buildings don't sell someone is getting an opportunity to have some for near nothing as these prices are so unrealistic to be quite suspect.

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well a few were only $100,000...... low $ per square footage. Im sure by the time they fee'd you to death and ran the proposal thru the wringer the price wouldnt be so good tho. Im sure they would make nice artist spaces with alot of investment cash.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6460
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it normal for these types of sells to be "as is" (i.e. not allowing inspections before the sell)?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2035
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jemison is a relative bargain. Incidentally DPS the Zip is 48228, better proofread your work!

Ocean2026

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes but they usually only go for a couple of dollars per sq ft. Buffalo is selling a 12,900 sq ft school in nice shape and nice architecture for $35k Midwest services always has some in KS and Mo for similar prices.

As is doesn't mean no inspection before sale, it just means that if you find asbestos or mold or it just falls apart - well they made no warranties.

Not allowing inspection on something that's high ticket is rare- My kids and I always find a way in -lol They look at me and say "Dad this is against the law" and I remind them that I used be an elected DA and explain there it is not criminal trepass or burglary if there is no intent to steal or commit a crime. That satisfies them enough to be the first through the window!

Lmichigan

Post Number: 6461
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I never heard "as is" used that way, before, but it sure did seem to imply it:

quote:

...and no interior inspections will be permitted before acceptance of a deposit and proposal.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 244
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of the closed schools were boarded up with VPS, from what I hear this is really expensive. It has proved totally useless for at least one of the closed schools- If I remember correctly there is a closed school somewhere around I-75 and Clay with VPS on the first floor and the 2nd and 3rd floors totally stripped of windows! Anyone else seen this?

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 988
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Brandon48202. Rode past there on Wednesday. Those people were very determined.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...and no interior inspections will be permitted before acceptance of a deposit and proposal.

Who in the world would buy something under those conditions? Particularly something as big and complex as a school building. I swear this city is its own worst enemy far too much of the time.

Peterhuntprincess
Username: Peterhuntprincess

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are quite a few schools secured with VPS on both the 1st and 2nd floors. However, there is always a 3rd floor window or smaller lower level window left wide open for scrappers

Brandon48202

Post Number: 245
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to find out how much the city has spent on VPS. I bet it is a fortune.

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well.... sounds like they dont wanna waste viewings on people w/o a acceptable proposal and deposit to show real interest. They cant keep a deposit without allowing an inspection, at least if the bid is written that way. Good way to keep the lookie loo's from tying up city workers to show the place. Sounds reasonable. Otherwise they would be showing the schools to us all day long. = ) . Buffalo has about the worst real estate market around. worse than detroit if u can imagine that.

Brandon48202

Post Number: 246
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This whole inspection only after deposit discussion is a non-issue, any buyers can simply go through an open window to get into any one of the vacant school buildings!

English
Username: English

Post Number: 848
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only reason I'd buy one of these would be to set up an educational institution, but DPS won't sell to competitors (i.e., charter schools).

How about selling to those looking to start a new private school?

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In other words, all of these buildings are almost certain to become abandoned, stripped, blown-out eyesores, and ugly problem areas for the surrounding neighborhoods, just like so many previous disused public buildings in Detroit.

What's shocking is that, after all these years and all the blight, the city still does not seem to make any attempt to make it easier to productively reuse these buildings.

Ocean2026

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsideal - Yes Ive said the same thing on other threads and for Buffalo. By not being fair with these properties and by taxing the hell out of buildings with no economic use - Detroit dooms them to decay.

Ct_alum
Username: Ct_alum

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brandon48202: The more interesting question is who has the contract to install VPS?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 6463
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lansing School District, here, has downsized quite a bit from its peak leaving many vacant school properties. If I remember correctly, there is just one that remains empty and unpurchased. I know that the two cities are different, but it would not be impossible to make these things work. The empty schools, here, have been redeveloped into everything from a women-and-children's homeless shelter, to a corporate headquarters for a tech company which is also building a computer center on the ground floor for the surrounding neighborhood. Another is being renovated into a doctors office with gym space for use by the surrounding community. None of them have been reused as school buildings.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you've got a creative development community that doesn't mind taking risks, you can almost make anything work again.

Ocean2026

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmich the important items you left missing is the price of Lansing's schools and the difference in the community and local economy. Actually there is yet another factor- is the chance equal that an unattended school in Lansing would be as likely to be broken into and vandalized as one in Detroit.

I have my suspicions as to the answers to those questions, but will leave the actual answers to you.

I have no doubt there are creative individuals in Detroit, however how creative is it to pay many times the market value for a property?

Quonset_hut
Username: Quonset_hut

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

None of the Lansing schools have been allowed to be used as a charter school either. So the Verlinden school, next to the now torn down GM body plant, went for far less than a charter school would have paid. Also, the sale of the buildings has been close enough to the closing that they were still in good condition. We still have a house in Lansing and I have not heard of any scrapping. It helps that the housing stock is intact and occupied, so someone is around to call the police - who show up quickly.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 838
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This morning while on one of my occasional jogging routes I circled old Miller Junior High. It has been VPSed and looks secure from the street. However this morning I noticed for the first time that the large courtyard gates have been broken open and some upper interior windows were missing thus providing easy access to the school.

I reported this to Board Security and suggested to some members of the neighboring coop that they pressure the Board to resecure the building.

I find it all so sad.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6933
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.vacantpropertysecur ity.com/

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.