Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Harper woods/detroit???? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isnt harper woods really just detroit? I saw one of the home shows and they showed some houses in harper woods. I always just thought it was just part of detroit. Am I wrong? The show presented it well but i always thought it had the same troubles and problems as the BIG D. am i wrong and misled?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4832
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harper Woods has been an incorporated city since 1951
More info here

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5495
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While it looks a lot like neighboring NE Detroit, it's a different entity, thus it has its own government which is much better than Detroit's. Part of it (SE of 94, roughly) gets to be in the Grosse Pointe North district. Crime is more than GP but less than most of Detroit.

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly -- part of HW is in the GP school district which means they go to Poupard Elementary, Parcell's middle school and GP North. The rest go to HW schools that feed in Harper High, which was totally demolished and a new school was built in the last year.

There are many lovely homes in HWs. A close friend of mine lived three blocks outside of HW's (in Detroit) and his home was getting broken into over and over. He moved three blocks inside HW and its been crime free ever since. This was move of 6 blocks.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

House Hunters on HGTV featured Harper Woods a couple of days ago.

Haikoont
Username: Haikoont

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re: the schools, I heard about one single mother who dated too many men and dressed too risquely for the PTA's tastes. They sent a note home with her daughter (a middle school student) criticizing her parenting techniques. I guess the mom went to the next meeting and pointed out what a bunch of hypocrites they were, what with their own substance abuse problems and infidelities.

I wouldn't put you on because it really did, it happened just this way. That day some mama socked it to the Harper Woods PTA.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 966
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i just purchased a foreclosed home in HW, got an excellent deal, looking for 2 more

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 92
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haikoont.... that was an 80's tv show..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H arper_Valley_PTA_(TV_series) lol. apparently under urban legend status now, go barbara eden....
maof2, yeah that was the show.....

(Message edited by n7hn on November 29, 2008)

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 281
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Harper Woods, and my son goes to GP schools. Purchased a foreclosure a year ago, on a cul-de-sac. Crime free, no noise, very fast police response. Lived in Detroit before, (Whittier/Harper) Car broken into several times, house broken into, etc. Police takes hours to show. HW is close, but nothing like the D, in my opinion.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9318
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I saw one of the home shows and they showed some houses in harper woods.

quote:

House Hunters on HGTV featured Harper Woods a couple of days ago.

Whew, good I'm not the only one.

Qdaddy77
Username: Qdaddy77

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when junk mail comes to our house, it sometimes says detroit instead of HW. the 48225 zip code crosses both cities i guess. our 343 phone exchange is also shared with detroit...it makes election time very interesting in our house.

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dig this Qdaddy77: I lived right outside of HW for 17 years, in Detroit. My zip code was 48236, the same as three of the Grosse Pointes. A small sliver of Detroit shares that zip code. I must say I did get some better junk mail than my pals that lived blocks away, also in the D, but there zip code is 48224. Often my mail came saying that I lived in GP, which wasn't true.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.