Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Former Detroit Tigers star Cecil Fielder owes $273k in federal taxes, records show « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

News08
Username: News08

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From The Detroit News' Tax Watchdog blog

www.detnews.com/taxwatchdog

IRS wallops former Tigers great Cecil Fielder
Former Detroit Tigers star Cecil Fielder owes $273,123.29 in federal taxes, the latest financial issue facing a slugger who has had a slew of money problems in recent years, records show. The lien against Cecil, 45, comes five months after the Tax Watchdog first revealed that the IRS had filed a $409,149 tax lien against his estranged son, Milwaukee Brewers first baseman Prince Fielder.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 321
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess is this started with the divorce.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess is that gambling truly is the root of all evil.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha...a tax attorney commercial appeared on TV just as I read this thread.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 202
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Years ago when he was popular playing with the Tigers, the Mayo Smith Society (A Tiger fan club)took members on a tour of Tiger stadium,including the locker room. We were there (with my 10 year old daughter, who was a Tiger fan). Sparky was there, as was pretty much the whole Tiger team--signing autographs, letting us get photos with them. Cecil was the ONLY ONE who turned his back on everyone and continued to play cards with some people (I don't believe they were players). I decided then and there that he was an enormous jerk.

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 126
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't foresee Cecil getting that money from his son.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 751
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My guess is that gambling truly is the root of all evil.

That's why I don't bank on 401k's or IRA's for my retirement.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.