Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Where Would You Relocate for a Job? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Username: 3420

Post Number: 177
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found this article to be very interesting about other cities and Detroit particularly. Here is the link.

http://realestate.yahoo.com/pr omo/where-would-you-relocate-f or-a-job.html

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 280
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At this point, I'd hang out with Palin and work on the f'g pipeline.

(Message edited by mashugruskie on November 28, 2008)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Philadelphia and MAYBE Washington are the only cities I would leave Detroit for. I cant explain it, but I have traveled quite a bit and these are the cities that make me feel most at home and comfortable. To each his own.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

montana - to farm dental floss, of course.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 281
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carl, "You'll look like a penguin in bondage. Boing."

Bosch
Username: Bosch

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

chicago, milwaukee++1, minneapolis, stuttgart, hamburg, copenhagen

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 878
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article seems to confirm that every time the city takes a step forward it takes two steps back, at least as far as image goes.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 425
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago - even though no cars

LA (certain parts) - I didn't expect to like it, but I did, plus there is car work there

MSP - nice cities, shame about winter

Boulder - if it weren't so expensive

San Juan - love the climate, culture

Seattle

Barcelona - any day!

Caracas - if it were the 1970s again

Toronto - never been, but bet I'd like it

Austin, TX - just a guess

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Copenhagen or DC...Ironically in the process of looking for work in both at the moment

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 283
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But NY and CA seem so "progressive". NOT.

I'll take Chicago in January. I love ice-caked parking meters and that natural Botox look from frigid air.

The west coast are a collective bunch of weiners. Been there. zzzzzzzz.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 427
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that I read the article and saw the terms of the hypothetical, if I could parachute into my dream job anywhere I would have been happy to keep in in Detroit.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3966
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Chicago, you'll get the "What Detroit should have been..." feeling. :-)

So yeah, I'll definitely relocate there for a job.

Bosch
Username: Bosch

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

+berlin

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1395
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, internationally I would say Cophenhagen...It's the most comfortable city I've ever been to, and my favorite country outside the US.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Work in the Burj Dubai:

Live in the Palm Islands:

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sao Paulo, Brazil. Or any other little beach town in northeastern Brazil where I'd set up my little hotel.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9391
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm inclined to agree with Detroitrise here. I love the midwest mentality and yet I love the NYC hustle and quite honestly I think that Chicago offers the blend of both Detroit and NYC. One can get a place with a yard, one has access to top end culture, the waterfront, and still step away to some quiet seclusion if need be.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

at this point the depressed economy of this state and detroit metro has me willing to relocate to any city if the money is worth it. Ive found even in my false judgements that most cities have great things about them.

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 125
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 3:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a City-Data thread in the Michigan forum where people who are leaving or left Michigan talk about where they are going and why.

It is interesting and depressing. Answers seem to range from Georgia/Florida, to Missouri, to Texas, to Alaska, to Tennessee/Kentucky. There's 361 posts, so a lot of different answers. Michiganers (Michiganians?) seem to be spreading out across the county.

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 126
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've lived a lot of places, but I'd come back to Detroit in a second if I had the right job. I've lived overseas a lot so that isn't as sexy to me as it might be to others but I'd probably live in Abruzzo over any place on earth.

Turkeycall
Username: Turkeycall

Post Number: 84
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grew up on the east side of Detroit in the '50s. What a great place for that to happen. But, you can't go home again, it just isn't the same.

Spent three months in San Francisco attending Navy school. Frisco is plain wierd.

Then spent 16 months in Guam. Beautiful, lush place to live. Really a Pacific paradise. A dwarf Hawaii with better weather. I'd go back if work were available.

Moved to Houston in '80. There's only two kinds of Yankees: Yankees and damn Yankees. The damn Yankees won't go back home. That's the mentality of Texas. Moved back to Detroit when the oil tool market collapsed in '82. I didn't leave anything behind in Texas.

Moved to Indiana when Budd closed the wheel plant in '83. There's nothing special about Indiana. Northern Indiana is as flat as piss on a platter.

Moved to the Muskegon area in '92 when the GM Marion Metal Fab laid me off. It's really beautiful country on this side of the State. The big lake is an asset.

All of Wisconsin is attractive and its economy and manufacturing base is somewhat more diversified than Michigan. But the taxes are higher than Michigan. They even tax pension income. My sister and her husband live near Milwaukee, both retired. They're bagging it out of Wisconsin as soon as they sell their home.

I'd move to Minnesota, west of the Cities around St. Cloud to Avon. I'd live in Lake Wobegon if I could find it.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3655
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of metro Detroiters will be asking themselves where they want to go over the coming weeks...

quote:

The buyout offer included a $75,000 payment to workers with at least 10 years of experience and $50,000 for those with less, plus a voucher worth $25,000 off a new Chrysler vehicle. Some former employees hope the money will be enough to live on until they can secure other work. Others are prepared to use the buyout money to cover the shortfall between their mortgage balance and the value of their home in Michigan’s depressed housing market, so they can sell and move to a state where jobs are more plentiful.

Those without a home to sell or family obligations keeping them in the Detroit area are almost certain to head elsewhere immediately.

“I figured I can take a chance. I’m 28, single — I can go wherever I want,” said Jessica Krul, who worked in purchasing at Chrysler for two years and turned in her buyout papers a week ago.

Katrina Harris, 37, who was born in Detroit and began working for Chrysler as a summer intern during college 14 years ago, wrestled with her decision to leave but is optimistic about making a fresh start outside the auto industry.

“Chrysler’s all I know,” she said. “I’m giving myself a year to kind of tread water, and I told my family I may have to move out of Michigan to find something.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11 /29/business/29chrysler.html?_ r=1

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.