Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Growing up in Old Delray » Archive through November 02, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Grandrapidsgramps
Username: Grandrapidsgramps

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am the webmaster and creator of a website whose sole mission to pay tribute to the lives and memories of the people who once called Old Delray, (a suburb of Detroit) home. This is just one grandson's way of paying tribute to the memory and lives of all four of my immigrant grandparents who once called Delray their home.
I wish to take this opportunity to extend an invitation to you to visit my website at www.Old-Delray.com .
If you have family ties to Old Delray I encourage you to contribute your stories, memories and photos of life as it was in this once great ethnic community. Any stories, photos or material that you can share will be greatly appreciated. I am passionate about preserving the memories of this once great community. I Do this to honor my family's memory and history. Don't let the lives of our loved ones fade away. Tell them to me as you remember them. I hope you can find this historical material of valuable to you.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9567
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grandrapidsgramps,
Thank you, for this pleasant surprise.

I've been looking for a site that had that Thomas Klug presentation to refer my mom's nextdoor neighbor (he's a member of Holy Cross and we discussed that just last week).

I grew up in the Vernor-Springwells area and mom worked at Joey's Stables for 31 years (funny thing, Joey's was thought to be a "Hungarian" place, but my mom was the only Magyar there, the owners were Polish).

I'll photograph, the few items I have from Joey's before it was torn down and post them here, if you find them interesting, you have my permission to use them.

The other connection here is the Fancy Pastry Shop. It was across the street, two houses from our house in Allen Park where our next door neighbors owned Al's Lounge on West End.

I, as well at least one other forumer here that I know that shares my passion for Delray, will look forward to new additions to your site, and hopefully our sleuths here will supply you with pics of Delray in better days..

Thanks again, Jams who served briefly behind the bar at Kovac's.

Jams

Post Number: 9569
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shameless advertisement:

For breakfast I'll have a couple of poached eggs on Old Delray French Vienna bread toasted that I bought yesterday from their location on Allen Road yesterday.

I sure miss their "hot bread" from the brick ovens on Jefferson, dad would get after picking us kids up after Sunday school, nothing was better with soft-boiled eggs

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 458
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just taking a cursory look of the photos, Delray reminds of the setting for the movie, Deerhunter.

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gramps,

It would have been nice if you had given attribution for the list of residents of Delray that I had compiled a few years ago from the "Hungarian Delray!" website. This was one year of research on the residents from 1900 - 1930.

If I recall, your original site snagged info from my site a few years ago and you had to place a link back to my site. Now that I've taken the site down, obviously you're going to be taking credit for my year of research.

Thanks.

Hungarian Delray!

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 125
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy crap! You stole my photographs, too! That's my daughter in front of The Fancy Pastry Shop! You have no permission. They are ALL my photographs!

What else of mine will I find on your site?

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And look, there's the history of Kovac's with 25 cent brandy available on Saturday nights that I wrote about from the history of my husband's great grandmother! I also took that b/w photo.

There's the photo of the original Fancy Pastry Shop (on W. Jefferson) that I photographed from the new Fancy Pastry Shop in Allen Park.

Take my photos and history down. You should have asked.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 268
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loved the backyard photo, all of the flowers ! That's how I remember Vernor/Military area waaaay back.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 127
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right, Gramps. Dedicated to YOUR grandparents based on MY research from MY site that was dedicated to EVERY ethnic group living there.

How original.

Not.

(Message edited by mashugruskie on November 02, 2008)

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 128
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Business and Landmarks: My research.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 129
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This history belongs to the people." Old-Delray website

But the research, stories and photographs belong to ME. You have no idea how furious I am about this. You did this once before and because of it, I took the original site down!

Everything I have written and every photograph you stole needs to come down.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont get mashed up about it Mashugruskie. Be fair to us and stop being selfish. I too have taken photos in Delray which still has a lot of character. Its creepy riding through at night time.....

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 131
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about I snag Lowell's photographs and work and plaster them on the internet. Think he'd be a little ticked off? Would I be hearing from his attorney shortly? Will you be telling him not to be so selfish?

Get real.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 377
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mashugruskie has every right to be angry. GRgramps has lot of explaining to do.

You did this once before and because of it, I took the original site down!
-Gramps has alot of nerve coming and posting this again KNOWING he is not citing his sources and taking credit for what other people have done.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldnt be sensitive about something as mundane as a snapshot. Be grateful someone else shares youre love of Delray. Folks are too touchy and sensitive nowadays...

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 132
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A snapshot? There's a hand tinted photograph of the Fancy Pastry Shop. I hand tinted that photo. Kovac's Bar. I took that. Fancy Pastry Shop in Allen Park with my daughter in it (and others), one year of WRITTEN research that took place at Wayne State, The Burton Archives, interviews, walking and mapping out each ethnicity to each street, stories, Ancestry.com ($200!), 1750 Burdeno family history to the present family (original name was Bourgainon from Canada). Tracing people who lived there back through the census to the present, hunting through mounds of documents relating to Delray (which are very scarce - I had to beg just for snippets of info and piece together history), helping other previous residents with their Delray ancestry, stomping through Holy Cross and Woodmere documenting Delray residents., interviewing Jack Nykel and his memories of Joey's Stables, etc., etc.

Mundane snapshot, my ass.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4436
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mashugruskie, you're right. He shouldn't have stolen your research and photos. They are your intellectual property. I hope you had them copyrighted so you can take him to court.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 133
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saved it all. Gramps even asked me (and I still have that email) if I was putting the site back up. When I told him that I would in time and obviously didn't, he just took it all.

And anything done on the internet is forever.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 512
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mashugruskie, you do not need to claim copyright on that material for it to be copyrighted. You have a right to have him take it down. If he does not take the material down, I would suggest writing a letter to his internet service provider, demanding that the copyright-infringing material be removed.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 134
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Cman. I do know this and have located his service provider.

Omaha
Username: Omaha

Post Number: 245
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grandrapidsgramps, great stuff. It brought back memories. As a youth, my dad would, on occasion take us to Joey's Stables for dinner. Great food and a great drive as we drove downriver on Jefferson from the East side.

Come to think of it, Jefferson travels through some very different and very interesting sections of Detroit...add Grosse Pointe and socioeconomically it's really is an amazing drive.

Anyway, after the memories of youth past, I was drawn to the valuable contributions of the immigrants who came for a better life. And as with all immigrants...they were not welcomed by those who were already here. Here's a quote aimed at some of those who may have relocated to Delray.

“Immigration to this country is increasing and …is making its greatest relative increase from races most alien to the body of the American people and from the lowest and most illiterate classes among those races.” Henry Cabot Lodge (R-MA.) 1891, talking about Italian, Russian, Polish, and Hungarian immigration into the US

My2cents
Username: My2cents

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please, please, please....
This is the Preamble to his site. IMO his intent is clearly stated. Perhaps crediting Mashugruskies' hard work and timely efforts and content would help??? So that all the cherished memories would be available to all to peruse and hold dear as a community? And not be lost for the generations who will follow such as current and future children, grandchildren etc...???? This would be a great and terrible loss forever if something can not be worked out for the good of all, forever..........

Old Delray Preamble

I bought the domain name of Old Delray five years ago in 2003, and for the most part just put this project on the shelf until now. I had the foresight to save intact the information from several web sites that are now defunct. I have reprocessed this information here and presented here. This information is too important to be trusted just to page links. This information belongs to, “We the people.” When ever possible I made it a point to credit the original source, and never tried to claim it as my own. The material and its copyright remain the property of the original source. I receive no monetary compensation or financial benefit from its presentation here. I do it only as a public service and to pay tribute to all four of my immigrant grandparents who called Delray home for most of there lives. I am pushing seventy now, and the time to act is now to preserve the rich history of the community of Delray. My parents were born and raised here and so was I. I remember Delray the way it was in the forties. I am a child of Old Delray. This grandson remembers his heritage in Old Delray. I will return someday when I am laid to rest amongst my grandparents in Woodmere Cemetery.

Mommydearest
Username: Mommydearest

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From his own mouth he admits it all and then lies about attribution:

"Preamble
I bought the domain name of Old Delray five years ago in 2003, and for the most part just put this project on the shelf until now. I had the foresight to save intact the information from several web sites that are now defunct. I have reprocessed this information here and presented here. This information is too important to be trusted just to page links. This information belongs to, “We the people.” When ever possible I made it a point to credit the original source, and never tried to claim it as my own."

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 135
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want my research and photos removed. He can I either do that or I will have his service provider remove the whole site.

This is the second time he's done this. I am done with this man.

Jams

Post Number: 9575
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe a sit-down over a beer at Kovacs might be a way to resolve this situation for the good of fond remembrances of Delray?

Not that many care about Delray, joining forces might be a good thing to spread your message.

12468_laing
Username: 12468_laing

Post Number: 252
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, great thread. truly hope someone may have a picture of the delray meat market that moved later to allen park. we used to go there from the east side almost every weekend to buy the best meats, lekvar, kolbasz, hurka, and everything that smelled so good. my dad's parents came over from hungary. would really like a pic if there is one. thanks for this website on delray.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 138
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams,

Sorry but Richard (Gramps) needs to get off his ass and do his own research.

No sit-down. Reading the above poster stating "thanks for this website on Delray" based on my work and Gramps gets the kudos? I don't think so.

Jams

Post Number: 9576
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hurdka, ummmmm!

I haven't had that wonderful sausage since Szged's closed.

My aunt would come up from Dayton just to buy poppy seed from Szgeds, the last year they were open, they refused to sell her some, as they thought it was inferior.

Imagine a shop, barely surviving, refusing to sell a product just because they thought it would not meet the customer's expectations.

Nice to hear from the other Magyars here.

Jams

Post Number: 9577
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mashugruskie,
It has been difficult enough to find information on this great library called the internet about Delray, a small speck on the map, that some of us find important because we have roots there,

I don't know anything about your issues with GRGramps, but I appreciate the research you've done, but what is most important?

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 139
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Permission and attribution.

Btw, he KNOWS my name.