Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Noel Night « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ombili
Username: Ombili

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noel Night is next Saturday, December 6th. As a lifelong Detroiter, I am ashamed to admit on this board that I've never attended. Has anyone gone? What do you actually do? Is it worth a trip?

(Message edited by Ombili on November 29, 2008)

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 93
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I attended CCS they had student art exibits. I think the museums are open and music and such too. It was a big thing back then

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3110
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I put this event on my calendar early in the season because, for me, it is a "don't miss" event. There is so much to do that you can't possibly see or do it all!! And you can do it for free (although there are a few ticketed events listed).

There's something for everybody...music, art, history, architecture, crafts, etc....

Here's the schedule of events at each location: http://www.detroitmidtown.com/ 05/noelnight_schedule.php?msub =77

If there's someone you really want to see, I suggest you make sure to arrive early enough to get a seat. This year The Hot Club of Detroit in Rivera Court at the DIA and Thornetta Davis at the DPL Friends Auditorium are sure to be SRO.

Top it off with the Salvation Army Sing-a-long on Woodward Ave.

Enjoy!! Can't imagine anyone going away disappointed!!

Ombili
Username: Ombili

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kathleen......I took a look at the schedule and I'm much more interested now.

7andkelly
Username: 7andkelly

Post Number: 1712
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noel Night has always been a cheap fun way to celebrate Christmas in Detroit. Lots to do. You won't leave disappointed.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9403
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's honestly the best way to kick off the holidays. The entire neighborhood there is so festive. I always try to do a huge chunk of my holiday shopping there. And like N7hn stated earlier, CCS has their students AND alumni selling their wares there. The only disappointing thing that entire evening for me is that I can't make it around to all of the venues. One has to be selective about things and move around briskly but I would wholeheartedly endorse this event to everyone.

Dorothyd
Username: Dorothyd

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely one of the best nights in Detroit. You can't possibly see and hear everything in the time alloted. Spend time mapping out your route beforehand so you can fit in as much as you can. That and the Festival of the Arts has always been a "can't miss" event for me. Sorry to hear the Festival is a thing of the past.

Kathleen

Post Number: 3112
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And to add to my previous post...

Noel Night is a great event for families. Bring your kids, your grandkids, your parents, your grandparents, your friends and your coworkers!! There is something for everyone to do!

This is also the place to do some holiday shopping at the Detroit Artists Market, the Bureau of Urban Living, the gift shops at any of the museums, the CCS student and alumni sale, and any of the other local businesses participating in Noel Night.

I'm already planning my evening there!!

Smogboy

Post Number: 9406
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the things I think are cool would be seeing & hearing the handbell choir over at St. Paul's, the student & alumni sales at CCS, DAM, anything in the DIA, the carriage rides in front of the Park Shelton, the ice sculptures in front of the DIA and my fave is the singalong with the Salvation Army on Woodward Avenue. But those are my feeble suggestions- there are plenty more things to see and do.

And years ago, the Science Center even had reindeer there on the premises. Does anyone know if that is still going on or did it get discontinued?

Ronaldj
Username: Ronaldj

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just Go! We've gone in the rain. the snow and cold. Took our kids,some of their friends and a few crotchety ones of ours in the past. You will not regret it.

The Salvation Army Band apparently has a few ringers and now can reasonably play more than three songs. We used our oldest son's back as a lyre for the song sheet one year. It was raining, so stayed in place quite nicely.

Scarab Club a must see. Smiley Bros (Charfoos Law firm) should be open.

Enough said. Just Go!

Kathleen

Post Number: 3119
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump...if Noel Night is not on your calendar, it ought to be!

Sarah
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went as a kid and returned last year with my 16 year old son. Sorry to have to miss it this year as we will be out of town. Thornetta Davis is amazing!!! Definitely see her!

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 320
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very enjoyable--there's a lot to do and see, but you could also spend much of the night poking around the Scarab Club and have a wonderful time.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9457
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 3:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a friend who took his pastor and their family last year. His pastor loved Noel Night so much, he literally re-jockeyed his church's activities so he could come back this year.

I really think that this is probably one of the most under publicized events that Detroit has. It truly is a gem in the heart of the Cultural Center.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clearly one of the best nights in the city...we go every year. Get there early and try to schedule some locations because you can not possibly get to everything

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 429
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noel Night is lots of fun. I am coming back this year just for it. I always do lots of holiday shopping there,as I like to support CCS students (and artists in general) and make my gift giving either made in or somwhow about Detroit. Will bring bike for getting around.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9466
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A bike, otter? If the weather was like what it was last year (snowing pretty heavily) I'm not sure if a bike would be the best bet. And what about the crowds and the hassle of having to lock up the bike anytime you want to go into a venue? I'm not dissuading you but you can make it work for you, go for it! Have a great time.

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noel Night is one of Detroit's best events. I missed it last year to see the Messiah at Fort St. Presbyterian church and this year will be out of town. It's something not to be missed if you can make it, all sorts of historic buildings and churches are open with great music and events.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 658
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents of all people actually turned me on to this event after they went last year. I hear all of the churches are open and have full choirs singing. My mom, who is a very particular person, said the evening was amazing. My girlfriend and I will be joining them this year going to Noel Night.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 443
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked the art at the Scarab club, the 3 home tour in the Canfield Historic District(last year), & the choirs and churches are pretty cool too.

Lots of low buck fun, so don't feel that all events are out of reach. Dress in layers, it can get COLD walking between events.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9470
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrenite84, I think you hit on a key point there in regards to dressing in layers. Between skipping outside in the frigid cold from one building to another, once you get inside of one of those places, it's usually filled with people making them saunas! The forecast calls for a brisk 20-31º with snow showers that night... or at least that's what the pundits call for now.

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 472
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

-bump-

I'll be going with bells on! Truly one of the best Holiday festivities in town.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2424
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and stop by to see the artists (not to be confused with the folks hawking junk down in the bazaar) at the russell industrial center after noel night wraps up for the evening

Smogboy

Post Number: 9482
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Post Noel Night happenings at the Russell?

Please clue us in Gravitymachine!

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2425
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as far as i know there will be artists in building 2 (including myself) and perhaps building 1 opening up their studios that night much like last year, an informal BYOB open house kinda thing. unfortunately i've been out of town so i'm not clued in on the details, but when i find out more i'll post it up

(Message edited by gravitymachine on December 03, 2008)

(Message edited by gravitymachine on December 03, 2008)

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 433
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy,

I lovelovelove cars but use a bike as my daily transportation now in all weather, including snowy winter. My ride to work tomorrow should be pretty wintry with 4-5" expected tonight. Really, I'll be using the bike to get around because I plan to be in the city most all day and riding around, so it will be with me anyway, unless I can stash it in a friend's apt. in the P.S. I take a bike with me wherever I go if possible. All the past years I just drove from my home in GPP, parked, and walked around. But I kinda wished I'd had a bike to make the getting-around a bit faster.

>A bike, otter? If the weather was like what it was >last year (snowing pretty heavily) I'm not sure if >a bike would be the best bet.

gravity,

Thanks for the heads-up about the RIC informal open house.

I didn't see any Canfield house tours on this year's schedule but it sounds nice.

Kathleen

Post Number: 3130
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump...time to plan for Noel Night!! Hope to see some of you there.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 364
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was amazing as a kid in the early 1970's-one of the few times I found the city as the old folks described it in its heyday, the Glancy Lionel Trains Exhibit @ DHM is great-It's too bad what happend to Al Glancy(I think he was in Grosse Pointe?)
http://groups.google.com/group /alt.toys.gi-joe.1980s/msg/dc9 d9da4e94543d5?hl=en&dmode=sour ce
http://www.glancytrains.com/ph p-cgi/gallery/album06
http://americajr.com/news/glan cy-train-show.html

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2429
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as far as the russell artist's open house goes

noon-midnight saturday
noon-5 sunday

i will likely only be there 6-midnight(ish) on saturday

Smogboy

Post Number: 9498
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravitymachine- is there any signage as to which of the buildings over there at the Russell? I love the feel and atmosphere of that place but trying to find anyone/ anything can be frustrating to say the very least.

If the weather holds out, I'm liable to swing on by, carouse for a bit, and maybe finish off holiday shopping there.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2431
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not really, they have their street addresses on em, 1600, 1610, 1620, etc but not building numbers. the management is not terribly proactive on these matters

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 631
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to The DIA yesterday and Midtown was getting all Ready for the Event!

Kathleen

Post Number: 3136
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like it will be a beatiful holiday evening in Detroit!! See you at Noel Night!!

A couple scenes from a drive out Lakeshore and E. Jefferson on our way home...

SeasonsGreetings

GP_Lights

Dorothyd
Username: Dorothyd

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Kathleen, for the pictures. It is tradition on Noel Night we take Jefferson (Lake Shore) home to see the decorations.

Kathleen

Post Number: 3137
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One last bump...see you there!

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 148
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen, boy I wish I could go, stuck in Monroe, (arghh), hope you all have a good time and will report back!

Stromberg2

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 494
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noel Night was a great time as always. I was surprised at the turnout considering the weather. Thornetta Davis was fabulous! As always.

Hawthorne
Username: Hawthorne

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I caught The Festival Singers on the Woodward Bandstand. A great group of singers dressed in Victorian costumes singing a capella. I understand they also sing up at the Dickens Festival in Holly. They have a website, too at thefestivalsingers.com.

Kathleen

Post Number: 3140
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a great time at Noel Night!! Here are a few photos:

Stopped by the Bureau of Urban Living before heading to Old Main where we enjoyed the
Designing an Icon: Creativity and the American Automobile exhibit at the Elaine Jacobs Gallery.

CarArt

The Planetarium show enjoyed good crowds (6pm show completely filled), but it was a 45-minute show, so we just checked out the physics and geology exhibits for a few minutes.

Next we headed to the Detroit Artists Market, looking for some holiday gifts while enjoying wine and cookies and the music of the Royal Garden Trio.

DMA

We stopped by the Living Nativity on the lawn of the Cathedral Church of St. Paul before moving on to the Scarab Club where Kitty Donohue was playing.

Then we checked out the Ice Sculptures in front of the DIA.

icecarving

Inside the Library, there were exhibits and music and dance and kid activities and Christmas decorations like this tree in the 3rd floor Fine Arts Room

DPL Christmas Tree

Thornetta Davis filled the Friends Auditorium in the lower level and had the crowd dancing and singing!

Thornetta

Our evening wrapped up with the Salvation Army Sing-a-long on Woodward Avenue

Singalong

Yes, it was a bit nippy, but I thought the weather this year was nicer than last year's.

I was sorry to hear that I missed a late-addition to the schedule: The Tartan Terrors, a fun Celtic band that has performed at both Noel Night and the Festival of the Arts. I caught their finale "Auld Lang Syne" on the Woodward stage.

We ended our evening at Honest John's for a burger and brew.

All in all a wonderful evening in the D!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.